The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Not sure what youre asking in the first point. Just pointing out that medicare/medicaid which is insurance is different than VA which is govt run healthcare. 

If your doctors office chose to not accept MFA they would probably go out of business because there are not enough patients willing to pay out of pocket for healthcare in this country. Unless it was super cheap in which case you can choose to pay out of pocket or use your MFA insurance at a different doctors office. Just an fyi, about 50% of doctors want MFA and more every year as the second largest physicians group just endorsed it couple weeks back. 

Just that earlier you said public financing of public hospitals and Dr offices...I pointed out that the VA may be publicly funded, it is not available to the public.

Thanks for your explanation. I will point out that the clinic I utilize had large notices posted a year or two back..."NO NEW MEDICARE/MEDICAID" patients were being accepted, anywhere throughout the clinic (about 25-30 docs of various disciplines). I assume due to the lower $$$ rates negotiated for those patients, so my area must contain the other 50% of the physicians you refer to above.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Just that earlier you said public financing of public hospitals and Dr offices...I pointed out that the VA may be publicly funded, it is not available to the public.

Thanks for your explanation. I will point out that the clinic I utilize had large notices posted a year or two back..."NO NEW MEDICARE/MEDICAID" patients were being accepted, anywhere throughout the clinic (about 25-30 docs of various disciplines). I assume due to the lower $$$ rates negotiated for those patients, so my area must contain the other 50% of the physicians you refer to above.

Our tax money pays for the VA hospitals, their doctors, their nurses, their janitors, etc. Thats what makes it public. Yes, you are not able to use the service but you and I are paying for it. Thats all I meant. 

The thing about MFA is that it doesnt necessarily mean what they pay now is what they would pay under the new system. They will be able to negotiate prices down, yes. But these hospitals and offices also have a bottom line and the bill understands that. In the current system, they could get away with paying what they are now because insurance and out of pocket expenses make up the difference. So while it wont pay out as much as private insurance does now, which would cut unnecessary spending, it will most likely pay more than current medicare system to get doctors and hospitals to participate. 

10 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Our tax money pays for the VA hospitals, their doctors, their nurses, their janitors, etc. Thats what makes it public. Yes, you are not able to use the service but you and I are paying for it. Thats all I meant. 

The thing about MFA is that it doesnt necessarily mean what they pay now is what they would pay under the new system. They will be able to negotiate prices down, yes. But these hospitals and offices also have a bottom line and the bill understands that. In the current system, they could get away with paying what they are now because insurance and out of pocket expenses make up the difference. So while it wont pay out as much as private insurance does now, which would cut unnecessary spending, it will most likely pay more than current medicare system to get doctors and hospitals to participate. 

Thanks Frott. I think you and I are staying the same thing on the VA/DHS system...

I appreciate your point of view and info on the M4A championed by Bernie...I just happen to think that it is untenable at this point in time. 

I do think that action needs to be taken somehow, but it has to both make sense and be affordable.

• Plus1 1

Taking this in a bit of a different direction, did you all see this from the incumbant? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/15/politics/trump-fundraiser-nelson-peltz/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=1004766b82-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_02_17_04_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-1004766b82-103387921

While the reported price per couple is obscene, the banner news here is that the figures provided equal out to 17 people (roughly)

:laughpound

11 hours ago, funhusker said:

Just imagine how much higher those numbers could be if he were to Tweet a picture of himself eating a taco salad!!!

That was one of the first tweets of his that I saw, and it took a very long time for me to be convinced that the campaign was not satire.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Like maybe 'tax records'........  Trump we are still waiting on those audited tax records to be released.  Do you think he'll release them during this run for the WH??  I don't think so either.  Those audits take a looooong time.

What the hell is wrong with the press? Bernie releases letters from his doctor and that's "completely disqualifying."

Trump releases literally the same thing, but is otherwise completely opaque in his disclosures, and "LOL that's just Trump!"

The American press is hugely responsible for the mess we're in. They are the fiddle upon which Trump plays his tunes.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1