The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Dang that would be great.

If we didn't have kids, we'd get our school taxes back.

If we didn't go to Yellowstone we could get the portion of taxes that goes to NP's.

People who aren't enlisted and are against war would get the taxes used for defense spending back!

I only use like, .000001% of highways in the state, I should get a chunk of that back too!!!!

If I don't call the police or fire, that's a decent little chunk...

I think you should run for office Teach!! :thumbs

Tell you what.

I am all for people that don't use public schools getting their money back.

Same with national parks stuff, I don't go to parks.

I think you give leeway for police , everyone pays.  Not fire though, those guys make way too much cash to sit around most of the time.  

I don't think you get anything back for what we spend on military BUT I also don't think we need to spend as much as we do on it.

Roads, I get it, we are stuck paying.

I also think (this has actually come up a few times but it always gets shot down) that teachers should not pay state or federal taxes.  

Maybe we create a system where there are say 10 things that get tax dollars...and each person has to pick a minimum of 4 things that their tax dollars go to...and if you want to pick more (like so many people pretend like they would) you can...you could pick up to all 10.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unfortunately people who won't bother to learn what Bernie's plan actually says will see stuff like this and believe it. Misinformation works on those who don't care about facts.

And thats the thing about the right wing, they will lie about anyone. If Biden is the nominee they will spread misinformation about Hunter Biden. If Bloomberg is the nominee they will make up some crazy number of how many blacks he threw in prison and Trumps low black unemployment. I mean he did throw a lot in jail bit theyd prob add a couple zeros to the actual number. If Warren is nominee they will talk about all her lies and embelish them big time. So whoever it is will be dealing with a smear campaign. 

I got to say though, one of my biggest criticisms of Sanders is that he doesnt easily spell things out for people. Hes gotten better since 2016 but you cant expect everyone to go to your website to find info. You need to make it easily for people and let them know in laymans terms. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Some of you blame the wrong person/people.

It is BERNIE that has to inform the people of his plan, it is HIS job to tell us his ideas and present his plan and how it works.

This is a f#&%ing job interview.  It is his job to tell the interviewer (us) why he is the best person for the job.

If I go on a job interview and the boss goes "So tell me, why are you the best person for the job" and I reply with "Ohhhhh wow, good question...trust me I am...you will see once you hire me how great I am" guess what...I am not getting the job.

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I got to say though, one of my biggest criticisms of Sanders is that he doesnt easily spell things out for people. Hes gotten better since 2016 but you cant expect everyone to go to your website to find info. You need to make it easily for people and let them know in laymans terms. 

Did he do a better job explaining it on the Rogan podcast? I imagine his tax plan isn't something that can be boiled down to a simple sound bite in a debate.

Sadly, most people won't bother to educate themselves on these things. They expect to be spoon-fed simple information, and get angry or confused when making a decision requires a little more thought. That's why we're in the mess with government we're in today, and why things like "Lock her up!" and "MAGA!" resonate with some of the electorate. They're too lazy to actually learn.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Did he do a better job explaining it on the Rogan podcast? I imagine his tax plan isn't something that can be boiled down to a simple sound bite in a debate.

Sadly, most people won't bother to educate themselves on these things. They expect to be spoon-fed simple information, and get angry or confused when making a decision requires a little more thought. That's why we're in the mess with government we're in today, and why things like "Lock her up!" and "MAGA!" resonate with some of the electorate. They're too lazy to actually learn.

I dont think he and Rogan discussed his tax plan. I think this info is coming from his fox news town hall where the hosts kept pushing for a number and he said last cycle we talked about 52%. I cant remember if he mentioned that being a top marginal tax rate or not. Id have to go back and listen. 

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

I dont think he and Rogan discussed his tax plan. I think this info is coming from his fox news town hall where the hosts kept pushing for a number and he said last cycle we talked about 52%. I cant remember if he mentioned that being a top marginal tax rate or not. Id have to go back and listen. 

I think his top is 70% on people making over 10 million a year.

OPTIONS TO FINANCE MEDICARE FOR ALL

Options to Make the Wealthy Pay Their Fair Share

Make the Personal Income Tax More Progressive

Revenue raised: $1.8 trillion over ten years.

Another option is to reform the personal income tax system by strengthening progressive income tax rates, taxing capital gains and dividends the same as work income, limiting deductions for the wealthy, taxing carried interest as ordinary income, and requiring derivatives to be marked to market.

Progressive income tax rates.

Under this plan the marginal income tax rate would be:

• 40 percent on income between $250,000 and $500,000.
  • 45 percent on income between $500,000 and $2 million.
  • 50 percent on income between $2 million and $10 million. (In 2014, only 136,000 households, the top 0.1 percent of taxpayers, had income between $2 million and $10 million.)
  • 52 percent on income above $10 million. (In 2014, only 16,700 households, just 0.02 percent of taxpayers, had income exceeding $10 million.)

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People would rather get their info in meme form, usually from a biased website like “Conservative Liberty Eagle” where they own libs with facts. Bernies tax plan is on a website named bernietax.com. His income tax remains the same as the system in place, where it differs is if your household makes over $250,000 a year (so top 5% of households would see an increase in income tax). It also breaks down if you would lose or save disposable income with Bernies plan. My household is $150,000 - if my family needs $5,000 in healthcare costs, I break even with years past, if it’s under $5000 - I’m losing disposable income, if costs are over $5000- I’m saving money. Worth it in my eyes. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Be careful, that is not run by Sanders' campaign. I believe the brackets are accurate; it is a tool to try to help people visualize his plan. 

Yes I’ll look into it more! I just noticed that at the bottom. Good tool but not associated with the campaign. I wish campaigns would put actual tools like this out, it could be very useful. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yes I’ll look into it more! I just noticed that at the bottom. Good tool but not associated with the campaign. I wish campaigns would put actual tools like this out, it could be very useful. 

Yep. While the lazy will still get their info via meme, even the most slightly curious will find this stuff and be better informed. I feel like most people who frequent P&R would benefit from this stuff.

• Plus1 1