The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

I'm a little late on this particular discussion, I find it absolutely stunning that any Bernie supporters would even consider sitting out this election. If you have paid attention at all in the past 4 years and support Bernie, I would assume that you would also agree that the Trump presidency has been a horror show for our country. Trump is a direct threat to our democracy, our civil rights, our environment, our health, and our future. 

Has Bernie gotten a raw deal from the establishment over the past two election cycles? Hell yes he has. Does Bernie have a better grasp on the problems facing America and more progressive ideas to fix them than other candidates? Hell yes he does. Does Bernie inspire more passion in his followers than Biden? F##k yes. Should you stop fighting for these ideals? Hell no.

But will you stand a better chance fighting for what you believe in if we have another 4 years in which judges of dubious qualifications and principles that are polar opposite of yours get lifetime appointments across the land, including a likely 2 more SCOTUS justices?

Will you stand a better chance of achieving your ideal America with another 4 years of entrenched gerrymandering, 4 more years of lower environmental standards, 4 more years of people not getting any closer to a better health care system, 4 more years of racism and xenophobia, 4 more years of attacks on the press, 4 more years of alienating countries who were once our allies while praising dictators?

I have not heard of a single person who is excited about Joe Biden. I cannot fathom why he got so many more votes than other more appealing candidates. I cannot believe that we have been watching the $h!tshow in the White House for 3 and a half years and the Democrats were not able to get their crap together for this critical moment. You need to keep fighting for something better.

But there is nothing more important than getting Trump out of office. Even if Biden sucks, everything you believe in will be crushed if Trump and the Republicans maintain control of this country. I'm pretty fricking liberal, and Biden does not enthuse me at all. But I am more motivated than ever to vote against Trump.

Our house is on fire. Just because you don't have the fire hose you want doesn't mean that you don't try to put out the fire with the only hose you have. Let's put out the fire first, then let's keep fighting to get better hoses so this doesn't happen again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

Interesting point of view here with this tweet....I wonder how many similar cases there are out there....

Just thought it would be an interesting talking point...anyone know any republicans that were out there for Bernie?  I've met a few.

raises hand.

but i was going to vote for whoever won the dem nomination because trump is the big turd in the punch bowl who needs to go.

kk...maryanne wiliamson would have been tough to vote for.   but i knew she had no chance.

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yep, polls seem to be pretty reliable.

Polls aren’t the end all be all, but in 2016 Clinton was +2 in the polls after Comey right before the election and had 3 million more votes. So the polls weren’t really too far off. But your point remains, polls this early are usually not too accurate. 

22 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Interesting point of view here with this tweet....I wonder how many similar cases there are out there....

Just thought it would be an interesting talking point...anyone know any republicans that were out there for Bernie?  I've met a few.

“I’ve swayed so many Republicans with policy” but we won’t end up voting for the person with the closest policies to Bernie because DNC n stuff. Again if policies mean so much to these people - you’d think they’d vote for free college, expanded public healthcare, pro choice,  DACA citizenship, increased minimum wage, ect. YOU CAN HAVE MANY OF BERNIES POLICIES. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Well, according to you, 10% of Bernie supporters.

• Haha 1

bernies supporters are going to abandon bernies wishes to defeat trump?

In a speech Wednesday, Sanders congratulated Biden on being the Democratic nominee. He called Biden a "decent man" whom he plans to work with to "move our progressive ideas forward."

"Then, together, standing united, we will go forward to defeat Donald Trump," he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/bernie-sanders-drops-2020-presidential-152541800.html

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Thats because the republicans have the same policy preferences as one another. So while their choice for president or congress may differ with another person, the policies remain the same for all choices. Tax cuts, deregulation, immigration. Those are the things repubs care about and all politicians push for those things. That is why it is easier to get behind a candidate. Well hes not the guy I wanted but he will push for the same things as my guy. 

For the dems its different. Lets face it Danny, you and I have different politics. We want different things. And the things we want that are the same we disagree on how to get there. We should not be in the same party. The fact that we are in the same party creates issues. Thats just the way it is and it will be like that until we either have our own party or this party takes us seriously. 

That's not actually true, though. There are different factions and different types of Republicans on most of the issues they care about. Tax cuts is an obvious exception but I do think they can differ somewhat on the appropriate size and scope of tax cuts. There are Republicans who support government intervention and regulation when it benefits their priorities vs. the nanny state libertarians who want blanket deregulation and to tear down everything. There are old-school Republicans who support (legal) immigration and don't hate immigrants but they're not very visible in the era of Stephen Millers and ICE raids.

Regardless they recognized when it was time to come together and support their nominee because all meaningful progress starts with winning elections. They could then factionalize again later and fight each other to push their own specific agendas.

You're right, we think very differently about politics. In a multi-party system we would not likely be in the same party. I've never gotten the sense you feel very welcome within the Democratic Party. So clearly you're free to go be a Green or see if forming a third-party could work. But I think Bernie has probably thought about that and realized it is not viable. But if that makes sense to you, by all means go pour your effort into it. I feel like you'd always be welcome within the existing party should you want to come back.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Biden's had a chance with climate change and medicare for all and flubbed it with his announcement earlier today of Medicare dropping age to 60 leading his big announcement.  So far, he is just not appealing to anyone in the age bracket he loses the largest...40 and under.

He could knock it out of the park with legalization of marijuana and even a M4A who wanted it like Mayor Pete peddled.  But I just don't think he will...no idea why because they're not that far off from where he is currently.

As bad as some economic forecasts are for the other side of this pandemic, I'd be shocked if we don't have legal marijuana in five years. The government is going to need all the tax revenue it can get.

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

No, they haven't.

EDIT - well, unless you're talking GOP politicians, in which case, yes, that's correct.

They're a cult. Not unlike a death cult, because I'm sure there are some Republicans who would toss themselves off a cliff if their emperor commanded it.

Luckily, Diamond Joe is in the business of cult-bustin'!

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

They're a cult. Not unlike a death cult, because I'm sure there are some Republicans who would toss themselves off a cliff if their emperor commanded it.

Luckily, Diamond Joe is in the business of cult-bustin'!

Plus 1000000 for the Diamond Joe reference! 

Biden made a couple policy concessions to Bernie today.

The Medicare move should at least shut down the bad-faith accusations he's secretly going to cut Medicare.

The student debt concession is far more significant for me and would improve my economic security and quality of life significantly.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The Medicare move should at least shut down the bad-faith accusations he's secretly going to cut Medicare.

The student debt concession is far more significant for me and would improve my economic security and quality of life significantly.

Wow, those are big deals.'

Joe is making moves!

59 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Good starts by Biden. Now let's hold his feet to the fire to actually make them something more than a campaign promise.

Does anyone know if Biden has included increasing funding for Medicare to cover the additional seniors now covered, or is it a cut in coverage per person? I haven't seen anything other than the age change.