The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

17 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Would you describe 2016 as Trump chewing up and spitting Hillary out? Because she did get 3 million more votes than he did, anyone they nominate in 2020 will be far more likable, and we will be that much further into this clusterf#&% administration, if Trump even makes it that far.

Should they take back the House and/or Senate, Democrats that lead the tax committees can compel the IRS to turn over Trump's tax returns:

Looks like the time left on "routine audit" is running out. 

Democrats can run on forcing Trump to keep his campaign promises! (Really, they should just run on anti-corruption and holding him accountable)

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Should they take back the House and/or Senate, Democrats that lead the tax committees can compel the IRS to turn over Trump's tax returns:

Democrats can run on forcing Trump to keep his campaign promises! (Really, they should just run on anti-corruption and holding him accountable)

Maybe RICO

53 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Maybe this is what Trump was talking about here.

• 1 month later...

Now that we got that pesky little  Mid-term election show out of the way, time for the big event.   The day after the midterms is the 1st day of the 2020 Presidential sweepstakes.

Here is a broad list of Dems who may consider running.   There are a few I could support against a general Republican but more I could support if it is Trump.2

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/07/2020-presidential-candidates-955261

• Plus1 2

On 6/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

As someone sympathetic to liberal policies... Dems have to do what Schultz is criticizing them for in order to win elections. Far too often they get bogged down in technocratic explanations of why programs are important and how we're going to be responsible and pay for them, as if they're appealing to some fiscally minded bloc of independents. The problem is that group, to the extent it exists, is already deeply skeptical of most liberal policies they're having explained to them by Dems. And the Democratic base doesn't get enthused by the technocratic talk.

You saw it in the 2016 primaries: People were super fired up for Bernie's plans, whereas Clinton criticized him for how he proposed to pay for them. Guess what? She won the battle but lost the war.

Meanwhile, Pubs have explained away things like their tax plan using funny math and stuff like "it'll pay for itself!" They similarly tried to mislead people about the effects of their healthcare plans.

I'd like to see the Dems just cut it loose and focus on big, bold proposals. The group of people that vote on fiscal responsibility appears to be shrinking. If 2016 taught us anything, it's that people will vote for even fruit loop ideas if they get pitched right - and they'll worry about the specifics later.

Yep...campaigns are showmanship.  They always have been and they always will be.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

don't know much about her...but I could get behind this:

What she's known for: She’s the cautious centrist in a caucus full of characters.

I saw that as well - one of the handful (small) that I would consider.

Now I can get behind this far fetched idea of a unity ticket.  But maybe it isn't so far fetched as we were within a hairs breath of seeing a McCain/Liberman ticket back in 2008.

John Hickenlooper

Resume: Governor (Colorado); Mayor of Denver; Brewer

What he's known for: He’s a centrist, business-oriented governor who led the way on gun control.

2020 status: He visited Iowa and New Hampshire, where he‘s been surprisingly candid about his intentions. The biggest question is if his friendship with Ohio Gov. John Kasich is just that or a hint at an unprecedented bipartisan unity ticket.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the worst mistake Democrats could make is to use their new power in the House to harass the administration. It will repel voters and make it easier for Trump to use them as a foil.

the best thing for the dems to do would they become trumpers?

7 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

that is quite the quote! from what I have witnessed in the past 2-3 months, his popular support has far crossed the confines of the borders of Texas...Beto received funds from virtually everywhere (including a few dollars from right here in Central NE :)) and his platform could be tweaked enough to gain backing from the whole spectrum left of center...

• Plus1 1