The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

that is quite the quote! from what I have witnessed in the past 2-3 months, his popular support has far crossed the confines of the borders of Texas...Beto received funds from virtually everywhere (including a few dollars from right here in Central NE :)) and his platform could be tweaked enough to gain backing from the whole spectrum left of center...

I know for a fact he received funds from Nebraska oh you already said that. Heh.

• Plus1 2

Presidential Debate Strategy

I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about this; I think Democrats absolutely need someone who can handle their own in the debate. I'm not saying out-Trump Donald's WWF antics. But they need to be informed, blunt, and somewhat entertaining. By all accounts, HRC dominated Trump on policy, facts, and logic. But that isn't what people saw. The highlights were 10-second antics (mostly lies). You have to be able to combat that.

For example, if law enforcement is the topic:

"I support our boys in blue. He attacks our FBI for doing their job. Campaign Chair, CONVICTED 8X. National security advise, PLED GUILTY. Foreign policy adviser, PLED GUILTY. Campaign Aide, PLED GUILTY.  His own attorney pled guilty and accused him of federal crimes. Trump doesn't support law enforcement, because he runs a criminal enterprise." 

Long eloquent speeches and policy wonk talk don't cut it in that arena. Unfortunately, we live in a reality TV era and people want to be entertained, not educated.

• Plus1 4

I got mocked a couple times on Reddit for saying a close Beto loss would put him squarely in the 2020 pool. As it stands now, I think he's the daggum favorite. No one in the Democratic pool has bipartisan appeal like him - unless Bloomberg decides to run as a Dem, and even then I'm not sure he does. 

Just read that he's surged with the oddsmakers to be tied for the favorite with Kamala Harris.

IMO the only one who could cause an issue in terms of commanding party machinery and endorsements would be Biden because of the breadth of his service. 

After watching Texas I think Beto is exactly what this country needs to start healing.

• Plus1 1

Good information about how the 2020 Democratic field is shaping up.

Definitely agree with the end:

Todd Rutherford, a Democratic state legislator in South Carolina, said the party needed a candidate “who understands battling Trump.’’

“It’s not about who has the best policy or the best story,’’ Mr. Rutherford said. “It’s about who can sell the best story.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, God forbid you have to run a white male. :facepalm:

Beto’s a loser. His Hispanic sounding nickname makes him as much of a fraud as Elizabeth Warren.

Internet-Troll.jpg

1. "You" ?  I'm not a Democrat.
2. You know very well that's not what my comment meant, troll. I don't care what gender or ethnicity the candidate is, as long as I like their policies and they can legally run for the office and have a good chance of winning the election over someone I like less. You know very well my comment meant that it's unfortunate that a White male candidate might be necessary in order to win in 2020. It should not be necessary. The ethnicity and gender of a candidate should not be relevant.
3. Beto O'Rourke was born in El Paso, which has been a majority Hispanic population his entire life and is over 80% Hispanic right now. Most of his friends growing up were probably Hispanic. Do you need a lesson on how nicknames come about?

34 minutes ago, commando said:

you sound rather racist in this post.

"this post" ?

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Internet-Troll.jpg

1. "You" ?  I'm not a Democrat.
2. You know very well that's not what my comment meant, troll. I don't care what gender or ethnicity the candidate is, as long as I like their policies and they can legally run for the office and have a good chance of winning the election over someone I like less. You know very well my comment meant that it's unfortunate that a White male candidate might be necessary in order to win in 2020. It should not be necessary. The ethnicity and gender of a candidate should not be relevant.
3. Beto O'Rourke was born in El Paso, which has been a majority Hispanic population his entire life and is over 80% Hispanic right now. Most of his friends growing up were probably Hispanic. Do you need a lesson on how nicknames come about?

"this post" ?

yeah...i limited it to just that post.   i see he has deleted it now.  it's been moved to offending post thread in the woodshed.   good thing his employer never saw it or he might be on welfare now.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The Dems are going to have 30 people in those debates. They should be hugely entertaining.

And not one will still be able to take down Trump. Clinton lost Congress in 1994 and came back to win in 1996. Obama lost a record number of seats in 2010 and came back to beat Romney. The economy would have to collapse for them to have a chance

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

And not one will still be able to take down Trump. Clinton lost Congress in 1994 and came back to win in 1996. Obama lost a record number of seats in 2010 and came back to beat Romney. The economy would have to collapse for them to have a chance

surely the economy couldn't collapse under dear leaders economic plan...right?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

FiveThirtyEight did something interesting. Obviously it doesn't mean a lot, but it's still interesting.

They took the popular vote for the House in every state, and applied it as if it was for the electoral college.

VBEyk.png?w=575

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-2018-map-looked-a-lot-like-2012-and-that-got-me-thinking-about-2020/

That seems about fair to me. The only ones that strike me as particularly vexing for Dems if things continue to trend the way they are now are Iowa & Florida. Even if they ceded those they'd still have 270. 

19 minutes ago, commando said:

surely the economy couldn't collapse under dear leaders economic plan...right?

Well he is doing all he can to maintain a vibrant economy.  The Fed's raising of interest rates can certainly slow it down, as well as an overall downturn in the economic cycle around the world.  It's been the lowering of the corporate tax rates that have fueled all the economic records set under Trump.   Now at some point those businesses will stop expanding and growing at the rate they have been, and if they fear a Democrat could take over in 2020 and bring back massive regulations, then they would slow their business from growing even more.  Lot's of different contributors to what the economy might look like in 2020.  Fortunately with the GOP holding the Senate, any attempts by the Democratic house to raise taxes again will not make it far.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well he is doing all he can to maintain a vibrant economy.  The Fed's raising of interest rates can certainly slow it down, as well as an overall downturn in the economic cycle around the world.  It's been the lowering of the corporate tax rates that have fueled all the economic records set under Trump.   Now at some point those businesses will stop expanding and growing at the rate they have been, and if they fear a Democrat could take over in 2020 and bring back massive regulations, then they would slow their business from growing even more.  Lot's of different contributors to what the economy might look like in 2020.  Fortunately with the GOP holding the Senate, any attempts by the Democratic house to raise taxes again will not make it far.

and cutting even more taxes and raising spending on everything trump wants (border security,  sending the army to the border in political stunts, he still wants the military parade, golf trips, etc...)

1 minute ago, commando said:

and cutting even more taxes and raising spending on everything trump wants (border security,  sending the army to the border in political stunts, he still wants the military parade, golf trips, etc...)

Yes if he were to cut taxes for just the lower ends of the income spectrum as he has suggested that would help a bit in maintaining this record-setting economy.  Thanks for adding that detail to the mix!

• Thanks 1