The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

I think that we need to hold our Senators and Congressional reps to a higher standard. I think we too often look to the Presidency as the defining factor for whatever policies we want to see implemented, and pay too little attention to the people that directly represent us. Most folks have no idea who represents them. If Senators and Congressional reps are held to a higher standard, then I think it would take some of the burden off of finding a perfectly pure candidate for President. If we want XYZ policy put into law, do so en masse with your reps, and not with a moon shot herculean effort by one person.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

SP  - I don't know much about Amy.  You have mentioned here previously - what do you like about her?

I believe she has been an outstanding senator for my state.  Her campaigns have been clean.  She doesn't attack he opponent with scare tactic ads.  She, to my knowledge, is free of any real controversy.  She is able to pass a lot of legislation which means she has the ability to work in a bi-partisan way.  She is honest, level-headed, and direct.  She doesn't shriek her policies at people and doesn't make a spectacle of herself with her time in front of the camera.  I think she truly has the interests of ALL people in mind when she makes or considers legislation.  

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I believe she has been an outstanding senator for my state.  Her campaigns have been clean.  She doesn't attack he opponent with scare tactic ads.  She, to my knowledge, is free of any real controversy.  She is able to pass a lot of legislation which means she has the ability to work in a bi-partisan way.  She is honest, level-headed, and direct.  She doesn't shriek her policies at people and doesn't make a spectacle of herself with her time in front of the camera.  I think she truly has the interests of ALL people in mind when she makes or considers legislation.  

Thanks - I will ck her out.  An endorsement from a constituent goes a long way. 

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren listed her race as "American Indian" on a State Bar of Texas registration card in 1986, the Washington Post reported Tuesday.

The Post's reporting represents a previously unknown instance of Warren claiming her race as Native American and the first document that appears to definitively show Warren making the claim in her own handwriting. According to the Post, Warren has previously declined to answer whether she or an assistant filled out forms in which her race was listed as Native American.

Can't view the actual Washington Post story, this is from CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/politics/warren-american-indian-texas-bar/index.html

She should end her campaign now, imo.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

There's a financial company called Lazard that's been tracking the energy sector for decades and has a publicly available annual report. They've also started tracking energy storage in the last few years as well. Quick summary:

unsubsidized-analysis-certain-100.jpg?wi

Note that these are all unsubsidized numbers.

Damn.....I’ve wanted to switch my house over to rooftop solar. Looks like that’s the worst option. 

Ok.....if these are unsubstatiated, why do you trust them?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Damn.....I’ve wanted to switch my house over to rooftop solar. Looks like that’s the worst option. 

Ok.....if these are unsubstatiated, why do you trust them?

Unsubsidized - as in these numbers don't include government subsidies.

Also, just because rooftop solar isn't directly competitive with utility scale solar , doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. It just won't be as profitable as the utility company can do.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Unsubsidized - as in these numbers don't include government subsidies.

Also, just because rooftop solar isn't directly competitive with utility scale solar , doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. It just won't be as profitable as the utility company can do.

Crap...misread that. 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, StPaulHusker said:

I don't have anything backwards.  I know I am voting for the Democratic nominee against Trump no matter what.  Who I support leading up to the final Democratic presidential nominee is yet to be determined because I know not all that plan to run have announced yet so I am waiting to see who is all in the race. 

Unless Amy Klobuchar announces and then my decision is made.

Speaking of Amy.  Some of her former staffers aren't so happy with her office demeanor. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/amy-klobuchar-staff-2020-election

B

But four other staffers disagreed, saying their work, and the office’s, suffered as a result of Klobuchar’s behavior, because of a tense, anxious work environment and the high level of staff turnover.

"I’m not an anxious person; I’ve worked for other tough bosses,” said the second former staffer. “But it’s hard to explain the anxiety that permeates the office. It's an overwhelming sense of panic and not being able to plan. You never knew what was going to come at you. That compounds, and it affects the workplace.”

The first former staffer said they believed it was important for voters to be aware of what went on behind closed doors because they saw echoes of Klobuchar’s behavior in the chaos of the current administration.

“The reason it matters is when I hear the descriptors of our current president and how he lacks responsibility and everyone is to blame, and there’s erratic behavior, name-calling,” she said. “It’s unfortunate, but you’re also describing her.”

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I would appreciate it if they interviewed all male senators’ aides and asked if the senators are mean to them.

A little balance would be good.  It doesn't say who started the conversation.  Perhaps staffers sought out people to get their story out :dunno

We all know if potential presidential candidates will be brought under the brightest microscope. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

A little balance would be good.  It doesn't say who started the conversation.  Perhaps staffers sought out people to get their story out :dunno

We all know if potential presidential candidates will be brought under the brightest microscope. 

The microscope is part of it, but women in politics are definitely treated differently. The right complains about Schumer but the vitriol doesn't compare to what they display when talking about Pelosi. My theory is the majority of people who hate Pelosi don't know anything about her except she's female and a leader in the Democratic party. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve any of it, but one factor in the level of hatred is her gender, imo.