The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The truth drives people nuts sometimes. The level of vitriol towards female politicians makes it pretty clear to me that it (the level, not its existence) is due to their gender. Same goes with Obama. Disliking these people doesn't mean you're sexist or racist. But overall the level of negative attention and lack of negative attention for others makes it pretty obvious that gender and race are a factor.

There is a big difference between people who think everyone who disliked Obama disliked him because he was Black and people who think the level of hatred towards him was due in part to his race. You should be differentiating between the 2, even if the former annoys you, and not get annoyed when someone points out the latter. Do you really think they are treated equally by the media?

I agree completely with the people who said yes to the top question. Even a woman's clothing is scrutinized if she wants to run for office. And there is a tight rope they have to walk between being too serious and not being charismatic/friendly enough. I don't envy the ones that try.

FT_16.05.19_womenLeaders_more_offices.pn

Who were the respondents for that poll? Gen pop? Politicians?

3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

You're dang right I'm disappointed in Liz Cheney for not having the backbone to denounce her party's obvious racism.

That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in Warren for lack of judgement. It's damn near disqualifying for me and as a result she's pretty far down on my 2020 wishlist.

Are you willing to agree both are wrong as well?

That’s fair. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I usually don't give a flying f#ck about the eyerollers but apparently ITT they want me to just exclaim loudly how stupid Warren is and give Liz Cheney a pass.

I’ll admit openly I was one of the eye rolls and I’ll stand by it with how that post read. You clarfied later and I agreed with you. 

Liz Cheney isn’t running for president though. 

Doing what Elizabeth did and then expect to be voted for as the person with great morals.....well, doesn’t quite work that way. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll admit openly I was one of the eye rolls and I’ll stand by it with how that post read. You clarfied later and I agreed with you. 

Liz Cheney isn’t running for president though. 

Doing what Elizabeth did and then expect to be voted for as the person with great morals.....well, doesn’t quite work that way. 

Your second line is fair as well. :cheers

Considering the wide field of potential 2020 candidates aiming to take on Trump, an error of judgment of that magnitude is pretty dang near disqualifying. Especially if Trump and the GOP is going to make it central to re-election because they're decisively losing the war of ideas. At least Warren is contributing some good ideas to the discussion.

I don't think she's very likely to win the nomination.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Amy for America

#Klobuchar2020

I liked what she had to say. The snow made for quite the scene too. Love the idea of people being automatically registered upon turning 18. Universal health care was in there, strong focus on being green. Net neutrality. Improving quality of life for middle class.

Seems like someone who can work across the aisle and garner bipartisan support. Not sure what her chances are but she did get some great exposure during the Kavanaugh hearings and could appeal to the Midwest.

Through the full event I only counted 4 mentions of Prince and about a dozen instances of circle jerking about being tough Minnesotans. Seemed kind of low. 

59 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I liked what she had to say. The snow made for quite the scene too. Love the idea of people being automatically registered upon turning 18. Universal health care was in there, strong focus on being green. Net neutrality. Improving quality of life for middle class.

Seems like someone who can work across the aisle and garner bipartisan support. Not sure what her chances are but she did get some great exposure during the Kavanaugh hearings and could appeal to the Midwest.

Through the full event I only counted 4 mentions of Prince and about a dozen instances of circle jerking about being tough Minnesotans. Seemed kind of low. 

I agree that the references to Prince and the weather were getting tiresome.  Otherwise I thought she did great.  I think she will appeal to more people across the spectrum compared to some others that have announced their candidacy

I think all the Warren native american stuff was a way overblown, dumb, thing that doesn't have any bearing over whether i would vote for her. I'm sick of people like Trump beating things like this to death and making them far more important than they really are. I want to know a candidates policies/agenda, and their chances of  actually getting things done that i want done. Too far left i think wont work, and too far Right, i hope they don't get their agenda passed as i support none of it.  

• Fire 1

If Klobuchar's issue is that she doesn't suffer fools, that could work in her favor. 

Klobuchar and Kamala are occupying a lot of the same space; tough, smart Democrats who look calm and fearless grilling the weasels brought before the Senate. Gillibrand has a lot in common, too, and Warren was in the same space four years ago and just seems less fresh. They will be asked to separate from each other and probably undermine each other. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, and perhaps unfortunate if a man like Biden steps in to clean up the cat fight. 

• Plus1 1