The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

They also hosted Schultz the following week and Klobacher is scheduled for next week in NH, so I think they'll be fair with the candidates as they get rolling.

There's something like a dozen candidates in the race and only Harris has had her own townhall that I'm aware of.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

There's something like a dozen candidates in the race and only Harris has had her own townhall that I'm aware of.

Yes, my point is there has also been one for Howard Schultz, and they are hosting one for Amy Klobacher this Monday.  So they may not do all the 14+ candidates, but as of Monday will have done 3 with candidates.

I think Tulsi, Buttageig, Castro an others will drop out pretty quickly, so perhaps they're just trying to invest in those that will be around awhile.  Certainly with the buzz out there Harris and Klobacher will be.

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m fairly interested in hearing what Tulsi Gabbard has to say. 

She's going to have a hard time distancing herself from the anti-LGBTQ messaging in her past. I don't think the people that got duped by Trump when he held up a rainbow flag are going to fall for that trick a second time but who knows.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

She's my favorite I've listened to but I saw this thing 538 did and they had like 30 candidates and she wasn't even listed. So I dunno if she's gonna get enough attention.

I liked the interview she did that was posted on this thread a few pages back.  Smart and not with an oversized ego & seems very approachable and honest (rare trait when a politician isn't hedging their answers all of the time).  If she doesn't make waves now, she will in the future.  Still very young and I think she will be a rising star. 

Biden, maybe a voice of the past as seen by some dems. weaker than Hillary - an old white guy in an era when the party is looking at fresh faces with fresh ideas.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/campaigns/article226007090.html

Joe Biden is everything a Democratic political consultant should love: He’s experienced, well-liked, and his poll numbers look great against Donald Trump.

And yet many party strategists have a bleak assessment of his potential 2020 campaign: It’s a bad, bad idea.

“This last election cycle, we’ve seen a whole new level of energy that has emerged through a lot of fresh faces, and the party has moved in that direction and wants to hear new ideas and different messages,” said Norm Sterzenbach, a former executive director of the Iowa Democratic Party who now works as a consultant in the state.

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Yes, my point is there has also been one for Howard Schultz, and they are hosting one for Amy Klobacher this Monday.  So they may not do all the 14+ candidates, but as of Monday will have done 3 with candidates.

I think Tulsi, Buttageig, Castro an others will drop out pretty quickly, so perhaps they're just trying to invest in those that will be around awhile.  Certainly with the buzz out there Harris and Klobacher will be.

Castro is who I was really hoping the Dems would have allowed to do the rebuttal about 6 weeks ago when we got American Gothic Pelosi and Schumer.   It would have given him much needed exposure and really helped him with his nomination.  As it stands now, I don't see him making it to the summer.

1 minute ago, sho said:

Castro is who I was really hoping the Dems would have allowed to do the rebuttal about 6 weeks ago when we got American Gothic Pelosi and Schumer.   It would have given him much needed exposure and really helped him with his nomination.  As it stands now, I don't see him making it to the summer.

Castro is very charismatic, and his speeches during the Obama campaigns were fantastic. I can see him having a long campaign if he can get just a little bit of traction. 

42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I watched Klobuchar's speech, and she says a vague stuff about how we should be better but I didn't see anything about policies. Same thing on her website. Anybody know what she's running on?

Red Bull and cocaine? 

Well, it worked for Donald Trump. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Whistlebritches said:

She's going to have a hard time distancing herself from the anti-LGBTQ messaging in her past. I don't think the people that got duped by Trump when he held up a rainbow flag are going to fall for that trick a second time but who knows.

Every politician over the age of 35 has anti-LGBTQ messaging of their past.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I watched Klobuchar's speech, and she says a vague stuff about how we should be better but I didn't see anything about policies. Same thing on her website. Anybody know what she's running on?

"Grit".  Seriously. 

Seems like she is trying to position herself as one who will partner and work toward bipartisan solutions, I think she's trying to appeal to moderates and R's who are never Trumpers, which isn't dumb.  I think she's Tulsi without all the anti LGBTBQ and Assad connections.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

"Grit".  Seriously. 

Seems like she is trying to position herself as one who will partner and work toward bipartisan solutions, I think she's trying to appeal to moderates and R's who are never Trumpers, which isn't dumb.  I think she's Tulsi without all the anti LGBTBQ and Assad connections.

Tulsi is progressive, not a moderate. She backed Bernie in 2016 and ran on reforming Wall St and single-payer healthcare in her 2018 campaign.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Tulsi is progressive, not a moderate. She backed Bernie in 2016 and ran on reforming Wall St and single-payer healthcare in her 2018 campaign.

I know she backed Bernie - I guess in my opinion her current statements and voting (and vocal) history put her in a more conservative position (perhaps it's more appropriate to say she's less liberal) on many topics versus her Dem competition that are currently in the race.  Mostly her international opinions and perspectives.  I'd have to see what she's put out in the past few months but in my opinion if your priorities are Wall St and single Payer health care as a candidate position, then you can get that with others that don't come with the baggage she has created for herself.

I have to really learn more granular detail about each candidate, but she's not one that for me stands with what I currently know.