The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Thats a cool quiz and fairly accurate. I would have had Biden higher and Trump not on there at all though. lol

7 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Took the ISideWith.com quiz for 2020 candidates. If you haven't done it, you answer questions about your political opinions and they spit out candidates who match your views.

Gotta admit, I'm kind of surprised how mine turned out. Except for the bottom. But I do really like Mayor Pete. No idea who Andrew Yang is.

I'm a huge fan of Yang.   Love his ideas.   Listening to him talk, he actually has me believing UBI is worth it.   I wish he would get more traction.   Love to see him be able to get in the debates and have more people see him with any of the other Dems.  I think people would love this guy.  Here he is on Joe Rogan's podcast.  Long but worth a listen/view.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

I find the disdain for Schultz interesting from more liberal people here.  I understand it from the right.  But, I'm scratching my head about the pushback from the left.

When he ran Starbucks, he ran it, in many ways, with fairly liberal policies.  For instance, he reduced the number of hours worked to receive healthcare benefits from 32 to 20.  He realized that many of his employees only worked 20 hours and they still needed healthcare.  Those same 20 hour a week employees were included in receiving ownership in the company with discounted stocks along with a 401K match.  He also raised the wages in the company so those same employees are making way above minimum wage.

He talks very openly about how his success was aided by others and they should share in that success.  I've always thought that's what we wanted out of our leaders.

LINK

They also have company initiatives to ensure that their coffees are grown and sold as environmentally friendly as possible.

LINK

Now, as far as policies with his run for President, yes, we need to hear more.  He needs to prove he's knowledgable on the subjects and has realistic ideas.  

Is the disdain for him based on the fact that he's a successful business man and rich?

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find the disdain for Schultz interesting from more liberal people here.  I understand it from the right.  But, I'm scratching my head about the pushback from the left.

When he ran Starbucks, he ran it, in many ways, with fairly liberal policies.  For instance, he reduced the number of hours worked to receive healthcare benefits from 32 to 20.  He realized that many of his employees only worked 20 hours and they still needed healthcare.  Those same 20 hour a week employees were included in receiving ownership in the company with discounted stocks along with a 401K match.  He also raised the wages in the company so those same employees are making way above minimum wage.

LINK

They also have company initiatives to ensure that their coffees are grown and sold as environmentally friendly as possible.

LINK

Now, as far as policies with his run for President, yes, we need to hear more.  He needs to prove he's knowledgable on the subjects and has realistic ideas.  

Is the disdain for him based on the fact that he's a successful business man and rich?

Probably.  So many people feel like they have to dislike rich people for some reason.  It makes no sense to me but I think a lot of people picture them taking advantage of others and rubbing their mustache while looking down over the commoners from their big tower.

• Haha 1

I think the disdain people have for Schultz and others is that they have a very different view of what America is like compared to the vast majority of the public.  

Trump, for instance, thought his highest ranking generals made $5M/year (It's around $180-$200K)

Schultz has no idea what food in a grocery store costs.

I'm not saying that makes them bad.  It just makes them appear to be unaware of what the middle class is.  So there is going to be apprehension of trust, disdain, etc

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He talks very openly about how his success was aided by others and they should share in that success.  I've always thought that's what we wanted out of our leaders.

LINK

LINK

He painted himself as the pro-wealthy candidate right from the beginning when he called the idea of raising taxes on the wealthy "Un-American".

And while he is socially liberal, he's fiscally conservative. And there doesn't appear to be many people who actually fall into that group if you look at polling data:

figure2_drutman_e4aabc39aab12644609701bb

A view of Howard Schultz from a tiny political subset

My point is more about ideology. What the “nobody wants” assertion means, and which there is a chart from the Voters Study Group of collaborative researchers (tinyurl.com/vote-quad) to demonstrate, is that the bulk of the electorate (based on the 2016 election) fills three quadrants: (1) socially and fiscally liberal, (2) socially and fiscally conservative, and (3) socially conservative but fiscally liberal. That third quadrant, brimming with assertiveness, comprises the populists.

The fourth, sparsely populated quadrant — where Schultz is said to reside, is socially liberal and fiscally conservative, which is said to be centrist.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the disdain people have for Schultz and others is that they have a very different view of what America is like compared to the vast majority of the public.  

Trump, for instance, thought his highest ranking generals made $5M/year (It's around $180-$200K)

Schultz has no idea what food in a grocery store costs.

I'm not saying that makes them bad.  It just makes them appear to be unaware of what the middle class is.  So there is going to be apprehension of trust, disdain, etc

Really???  He grew up in projects in NYC.  He started his company from the ground up.  He also has expressed openly that people that make as much as he does should be paying more in taxes.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And while he is socially liberal, he's fiscally conservative. And there doesn't appear to be many people who actually fall into that group if you look at polling data:

I would be one.

And, like I said in my last post, he has expressed that people making what he makes should be paying more in taxes.

Just because he has been critical of AOC, doesn't mean he's some conservative hack that only wants to cut rich people's taxes.

FYI...he's also been very critical of the Republican's tax cut.

LINK

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really???  He grew up in projects in NYC.  He started his company from the ground up.  He also has expressed openly that people that make as much as he does should be paying more in taxes.

He didn't start Starbucks from the ground up.  It was already a company and he joined them as Director of Marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Schultz  

"In 1981, Schultz visited a client of Hammarplast, a fledgling coffee-bean shop called Starbucks Coffee Company in Seattle, curious as to why it ordered so many plastic cone filters.[12] He was impressed with the company's knowledge of coffee and kept in contact over the next year, expressing interest in working with them. A year later, he joined Starbucks as the Director of Marketing."

Also, he says he favors rich people paying more in taxes but has dismissed both Warrens and AOC's proposals and has no plan of his own so far. 

Donald Trump was quoted in 2016 “I am willing to pay more, and you know what, the wealthy are willing to pay more.”  And we know how that turned out with his tax bill.

Either way, I don't see where any of what you said indicates that he understands the issues facing the majority of people today. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh yeah, I forgot he dismissed the higher tax rates while saying he was a self-made man that knew poverty because he grew up in the projects. So he benefited from the social welfare programs that were paid for with taxes, and without those programs he couldn't have made himself into anything. It's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be one.

And, like I said in my last post, he has expressed that people making what he makes should be paying more in taxes.

Just because he has been critical of AOC, doesn't mean he's some conservative hack that only wants to cut rich people's taxes.

Can you link to him saying the wealthy should pay more as I've never seen him even hint at that? I've only seen him say stupid stuff like calling Warren's and AOC's tax ideas "not American":

Howard Schultz knocks Ocasio-Cortez, Warren and Harris for ‘extreme,’ ‘punitive’ and ‘not American’ policies

Add to that he's running as an independent instead of inside the Dem party, which many think could hurt the Dems and possibly help Trump, and you can understand why many liberals don't like him as a candidate.

But even just as a candidate, he doesn't know what he's talking about and has no plans or vision. Just watch his CNN townhall and you'll see he avoids answering the questions, so he comes off as a rich guy that just decided to enter politics one day without any idea what he's doing.

I think Schultz is more likely to attract not-Trump Republicans and others who are socially liberal but don't want to be part of the Republicans, which I think you fit into that group.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He didn't start Starbucks from the ground up.  It was already a company and he joined them as Director of Marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Schultz  

Yes, he worked for Starbucks.  At the time, it only bought and sold whole bean coffee.  He had the idea to start brewing coffee and espresso in the stores.  Starbucks owners said no, so he left, found some investors and started a company called Il Giornale.  He grew that company to the point where he then purchased Starbucks and rolled the companies together...kept the Starbucks name.

So...yes....he started his company from scratch.