The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I agree about Beto.  I was all over supporting his senate campaign against Cruise, but I don't think he has a plan or a particular focus.  He's a great orator and we'll see if he focuses enough to move the people.

I LOVE PETE BUTTIGEIG.  Seriously sharp candidate, and I think if he can get to the debate stage he'll knock em' dead.  He's currently 85% of the way to 65k donations so I think he'll get it done.

And I too went and looked up Yang after you mentioned it Sho.  I had never heard of him at all.  Nothing resonated with me - how did you know about him so early and why do you support him?

there are so many Dems in the race ---  you throw a 1000 first and last names into a hat - draw 2 -and good chance you come out with a candidate's name:P

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't know anything about his (and 3/4 of these Dems) why is he so great? in your humble opinion :D

I personally like his views on VAT, which would end corporations making billions in profits not paying any taxes (see Amazon) which would pay for UBI.   I think he has the right idea about his 'Freedom Dividend' aka UBI, especially with more and more jobs being transitioned to automation, every adult over the age of 18 gets a monthly 'paycheck' of 1,000.  A study by the Roosevelt Institute says this would grow the economy by over $2T and create over 4 million jobs annually.  His 'mindset of scarcity' idea and changing it to 'mindset of abundance' that this would create entrepreneurs.   His views on healthcare and the ways to change it.   He believes in a single payer for all, but not by eliminating private healthcare companies but having a better and more inclusive public option (ie medicare).   Also his view on changing GDP calculations to include more 'human-centric' calculations which would help build people as a resource instead of minimizing them.

Listen/Watch to his Joe Rogan podcast, listen to him on a recent podcast episode of 'Top Hat' (episode 431 if you listen to that his interview is the last half of the show')

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/abe-lincolns-top-hat/e/59117526?autoplay=true

28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I agree about Beto.  I was all over supporting his senate campaign against Cruise, but I don't think he has a plan or a particular focus.  He's a great orator and we'll see if he focuses enough to move the people.

I LOVE PETE BUTTIGEIG.  Seriously sharp candidate, and I think if he can get to the debate stage he'll knock em' dead.  He's currently 85% of the way to 65k donations so I think he'll get it done.

And I too went and looked up Yang after you mentioned it Sho.  I had never heard of him at all.  Nothing resonated with me - how did you know about him so early and why do you support him?

I am on a different message board, for a pro team I follow, and was looking at a their thread about politics.  A person raved about him and posted the Joe Rogan pod, I watched, and started trying to find out more about his policies.   The more I've listened, read, the more I can I feel he's the best option out there.    The biggest for me was his talk about changing the GDP calculations and how that would help the working class.   His views on the UBI and how that can be paid for and all the benefits it can provide to both the community and the family.   I think given the chance to be in the debates, his message will resonate with working class, rural americans, urban americans and how these changes (if they can be implemented) would vastly improve the quality of life people have.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Why the confidence in O'Rourke? He ran a decent race against Cruz, but I don't see much policy substance to get behind.

In Texas.

I don’t know if policy substance matters. It’s basically like a pre season poll. I don’t feel confident about anyone right now. I just see an “it” factor with him.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Beto's website is just merchandise, donations, and volunteering. There's not even a page for policy. I hope he doesn't run as one of these candidates that tries not to take a stand ala Hickenlooper.

I think Beto should have waited a few years, but I guess you have to ride the momentum. I don’t think he will be able to hang with Sanders as some others have said, but it will be interesting to watch it all play out. Seems about as honest as one can be for a politician. 

• Plus1 2

There was a lot of love and excitement for Beto when it looked like he might have a chance beat Cruz. 

But the blowback I've been seeing the last two days is pretty large and negative. On a national stage he's a lightweight and his voting record is full of sell-outs to the usual suspects.

• Plus1 1
On 3/7/2019 at 10:36 AM, TGHusker said:

It is getting so crowded on the Dem side, candidates are bumping into each other at events

https://news.yahoo.com/democratic-candidates-literally-bumping-trail-031009998.html

On the Rep side we have this positive note in bold:

more on Kasich

https://news.yahoo.com/kasichs-choice-fight-party-leave-behind-100031067.html

On 3/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, funhusker said:

I hope Kasich goes as an Independent.   I would love to see Trump and (insert polarizing Dem here) yelling at each other while Kasich rolls his eyes, looks at the camera, and calmly says "We're better than this."

Don't forget that the Republican National Convention back in January decided to throw their weight behind Donald Trump. While the RNC technically has to recognize challengers if they win five or more states in the primaries, they're throwing all of their money and resources behind Drumpf already, regardless of outcome.

What I'm getting at is that any challenger is going to have to run without any RNC money or support, including the PAC and dark/illegal money that typically comes with the RNC's blessing. Unless Kasich and some of those other challengers can find a deep-pocketed benefactor or two, they're going to be done pretty quick, all things considered.  

Plus, let's not forget, most of your primary voters are your party zealots for either side of the aisle. Trump's fanbase pretty much consists of any GOP member that isn't a sane, rational actor, so it's going to be hard to get moderate Republicans out to vote for Kasich.

So yeah...I really don't think Kasich can do anything unless he runs as an independent. And that's going to burn any bridges between him and the modern-day RNC/GOP...

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Beto's website is just merchandise, donations, and volunteering. There's not even a page for policy. I hope he doesn't run as one of these candidates that tries not to take a stand ala Hickenlooper.

Another reason (and I'm going to keep pushing him cause I really like him) that I support Yang.  His policies are right there, easy to find on his site.  You don't see that on Booker, Harris, Gabbard, Klobuchar, or Sanders.  I did see it on Warren.  If you believe in your policies and what and why you are running you put that in an easy to see place on your site.

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Don't forget that the Republican National Convention back in January decided to throw their weight behind Donald Trump. While the RNC technically has to recognize challengers if they win five or more states in the primaries, they're throwing all of their money and resources behind Drumpf already, regardless of outcome.

What I'm getting at is that any challenger is going to have to run without any RNC money or support, including the PAC and dark/illegal money that typically comes with the RNC's blessing. Unless Kasich and some of those other challengers can find a deep-pocketed benefactor or two, they're going to be done pretty quick, all things considered.  

Plus, let's not forget, most of your primary voters are your party zealots for either side of the aisle. Trump's fanbase pretty much consists of any GOP member that isn't a sane, rational actor, so it's going to be hard to get moderate Republicans out to vote for Kasich.

So yeah...I really don't think Kasich can do anything unless he runs as an independent. And that's going to burn any bridges between him and the modern-day RNC/GOP...

Good points VV.   Maybe it is time some high profile Repubs like Kasich burn their GOP card and run as independents or seek to grow the libertarian party and bring it into the mainstream.

Perhaps the best thing for the GOP would be a whole sale, country wide defeat so that the more moderate guys can gain control of what is left over of the party.  And by moderate, I'm talking conservative by 2000 standards. 

21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good points VV.   Maybe it is time some high profile Repubs like Kasich burn their GOP card and run as independents or seek to grow the libertarian party and bring it into the mainstream.

Perhaps the best thing for the GOP would be a whole sale, country wide defeat so that the more moderate guys can gain control of what is left over of the party.  And by moderate, I'm talking conservative by 2000 standards. 

Hell, you'll probably need to go back to the 1960s or earlier to find Republicans who were moderate in nature and temperament, valued intellectualism, and worked with others to find consensus ideas for our country. 

The seeds for the current-day extremism can be traced back to the Nixon days, manifested themselves somewhat during the Reagan years (in spite of Reagan being a moderate--see the Bork nomination), and went full bloom during the GB Bush years. Trump politics is merely reaping what was sewn all those years prior.

• Plus1 1