The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

I want to be enthused about a Biden nomination/run/presidency because he's always seemed charismatic and personable and attentive, but those videos of him being really creepily handsy with so many little girls still leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Unless some bombshell drops in which it's actually confirmed Joe is an actual pedo (it won't), I'd chalk it up as a really awkward but minor demerit and put it in the back of your head. American politics have a bad habit of getting caught up in the weeds focusing on the wrong stuff. Remember terrorist fist jab? Fake Melania? The Great Tan Suit Fiasco? Buttery males? Maybe it's just me but it's brain-numbingly frustrating how often we take the bait and turn completely trivial stuff into the biggest issues that generate the most buzz because we find the most important stuff boring or confusing.

Regardless it seems like we're slowly on autopilot hurtling towards a Trump/Biden 2020 matchup... whether we want to or not.

3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Unless some bombshell drops in which it's actually confirmed Joe is an actual pedo (it won't), I'd chalk it up as a really awkward but minor demerit and put it in the back of your head. American politics have a bad habit of getting caught up in the weeds focusing on the wrong stuff. Remember terrorist fist jab? Fake Melania? The Great Tan Suit Fiasco? Buttery males? Maybe it's just me but it's brain-numbingly frustrating how often we take the bait and turn completely trivial stuff into the biggest issues that generate the most buzz because we find the most important stuff boring or confusing.

Regardless it seems like we're slowly on autopilot hurtling towards a Trump/Biden 2020 matchup... whether we want to or not.

idk what fake melania or buttery males are, but terrorist fist jab and tan suit are not anywhere remotely close to the s#!t we've seen of Biden caressing/showing affectionate to really young girls. Not in the same universe really.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, sho said:

This seems really odd, if true.   Normally you don't announce your running mate until after you win the nomination.   I don't know much about Stacy, outside of the one speech she gave.  I thought she nailed it.   

She's got a great background.  

And I wasn't crazy:

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

He also has a record of voting for some very bad policies. Saying racist remarks while in the senate, etc. This stuff will be black eye for him when it comes time for the debates. He has name recognition, but thats pretty much all he has going for him. His politics are outdated and if you want to continue the status quo then vote for him. Rumor has it he has been talking to big donors/corporations lately looking for their support when he announces. While all the other candidates are using a grassroots campaign to raise money and taking no corporate and PAC money to fund them. Do we really need another politican in the pockets of coporate america? If I was registered democrat, which Im not, there is no way Id vote for Biden in the primaries. If he wins the primary and goes against Trump he will 100% have my vote. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

My guess is Biden is not a pedophile, but that’s not all that matters. When I was a kid there was an adult male acquaintance of the family in his 30s, who I don’t think was/is a pedophile, who would tickle torture me every time he saw me. I hated it and I hated him. It matters what the kid thinks even if the adult doesn’t have evil intentions, and as a kid I never told anyone I wanted him to stop doing this, so I don’t think kids can be expected to say something if it bothers them.

Adult men shouldn’t be behaving that way or the way Biden behaves around kids they are just meeting or even with acquaintances. If it’s the type of relationship where, for example, the kid is willing to climb onto the adult’s lap and be read to, then it’s different. But with Biden it seems like he’s just meeting some of these kids for the first time.

Obama is a good example here actually. That one kid asked to feel the top of his head and he let him. ‘Cause the kid initiated it. What Biden’s doing isn’t wrong by default of him being an adult man and them being a kid - it’s wrong because of how he knows them. They aren’t his grandkids and don’t even seem to be kids who are close to him.

I don’t think Biden is a bad person but I don’t think it’s ok to behave that way with kids you don’t know, because you can’t know whether they’re are ok with it, and he needs boundaries.

I still think he’s 100x better in every way than Trump, so if he wins the nomination I’ll vote for him. But if we have an old geezer nominee for the Democrat I’d prefer Sanders.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

idk what fake melania or buttery males are, but terrorist fist jab and tan suit are not anywhere remotely close to the s#!t we've seen of Biden caressing/showing affectionate to really young girls. Not in the same universe really.

Agree. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

There's a conspiracy that Trump goes out with a Melania body double based on some photos that don't look exactly like her.

Buttery males = But her emails = An actual issue but one which dominated the media landscape in a way that shouldn't and p#ssed off a bunch of rubes who don't at all care about national security much when Trump does stuff that is much worse like using an unsecured Android to tweet.

Is it really that bad? I hadn't really looked into it. I just assumed it was an older generation, creepy grandpa who doesn't understand boundaries kind of things.

@Frott Scost I'm with you. He's not my primary favorite either. I'd much rather we go with a youthful change candidate to contrast the dinosaur leading the GOP. I HATE our campaign finance system. Biden does have bad policy votes in his past. But anyone in politics that long probably does. I do think he's intelligent enough to have learned and grown on most issues. If he hasn't he probably won't wind up winning the primary. I just read an interesting article on how he's got the most coherent, effective foreign policy mind of the pack, how he's apparently smart as a whip with that stuff and how it's indicative of him being able to realize a policy is wrong and grow to support a better position. So that's encouraging at least.

I do like that fact that both he and Bernie are going to be very strongly pro-union. The way unions have been marginalized and largely neglected by Dems have really undercut their efforts to appeal to the working class.

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Is it really that bad? I hadn't really looked into it. I just assumed it was an older generation, creepy grandpa who doesn't understand boundaries kind of things.

It's hard to give him that argument when he otherwise seems so sharp and with it. I don't really buy it. 

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's hard to give him that argument when he otherwise seems so sharp and with it. I don't really buy it.  

I don't know, it's just something which I've noticed as a general trend in older generations. They really struggle to "click" with modern culture/society in some aspects and outright don't understand it at other times, so they revert to whatever seems good or was right back in the day.

The other day I'm at work and an older lady who was talking to a fellow over my shoulder when I hear her blurt out (dramatically) "Have you heard about X? Did you know he's GAY?"

Mind you, they have a professional relationship, as he provides care for her. I had to chuckle to myself - this is obviously something that is noteworthy to her generation but that most in the younger generations couldn't really give two rips about.

That's more of an innocuous example than this Biden discussion. But if it's as bad as you say it is it seems like another reason to hope the Dems go with someone else.

So was there a time that men behaved with little girls they don't know in a way that could be construed as groping, inappropriate touching, smelling, etc.? I'm not that old so I wouldn't know, but I don't have any knowledge where that was normal practice.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Huh?  So you think Alaska should exert more influence because of its square footage? Wouldn't that be a stranger attitude?

California may seem nuts in a lot of ways, but one of the "things that come out of California" is the agriculture, technology and entertainment that drives the American economy and bails out a lot of states that take more than they give. 

never did I say anything about Alaska's influence (and I see you conveniently left out Texas) I was commenting on the fact that it was disingenuous they stated "largest State" with no context, and related that to the fact that I for one get tired of CA influence in telling me what I should think, or what's best for me in Central NE because CA knows best

5 minutes ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

Here is a little food for thought!  Diversity of thought people!

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/21/trump-economy-election-1230495

2020 is going to be interesting.  I'm not totally confident Trump will lose.  But I think he, and the people that voted for him, will be taken more seriously this time around.

There is also the interesting experiment of how people will vote for the "economy" or the "direction of the country".  From the article, these two things are no longer the same:

"Trump this week seized on a new CNN poll that showed more than seven in 10 Americans, or 71 percent, view the U.S. economy as “very good” or “somewhat good.” That was higher than CNN has measured at any point since a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in Feb. 2001 found 80 percent thought the economy was that robust.

Yet Trump’s approval rating in the poll — which is usually tied closely to the economy — is just 42 percent. And unlike during the late ’90s, when President Bill Clinton’s approval ratings surged ahead of his personal favorability amid major scandal, Trump’s favorable ratings (41 percent in the CNN poll) track closely with his job-approval rating.

Those low scores also apply to many attributes typically seen as desirable in presidents. Just 40 percent say Trump cares about people like them; 34 percent say he is honest and trustworthy; 41 percent say he can manage the government effectively; and 32 percent say he will unite the country, not divide it.

Moreover, even how Americans view the state of the country has become divorced from the economy. In the latest POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, only 36 percent of voters said the U.S. was headed in the right direction, compared with nearly two-thirds, 64 percent, who said it was off on the wrong track.

For the economic models to be correct, voters would have to shrug off much of what they dislike about Trump and decide the strength of the economy makes a change unwise."