The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Feel free to represent your libertarian/conservative point of views, but when pressed to back up your argument, you better have facts and data to back it up. Just saying that things should be this way or throwing out general positions at every turn will be met with contempt.

• Fire 1

I'm open to listening.

Only so far as to be able to condescend or jeeringly dismiss anyone who tries to take the bait.

I'll let you in on the reality of this situation. I don't say this to insult you, and I'm also not trying to convince you - just offering some information for you to understand if you so desire. You've already worn out your welcome and failed to take advantage of the possibility at a good first impression. You've sealed your fate, so to speak. Plenty of others like you have come and gone, and many of them would say the reason for the 'gone' part is because they didn't agree with the group think echo chamber, or because of hypocritical double standards, or whatever, but that's all self-justifications after the fact.

The reality is that they, like you, are simply not welcome because you're not enjoyable to converse with. A whole lot of us are still around here because we get something positive, kind, and informational out of our exchanges.

You lack all rapport and respect, and only offer thinly veiled rudeness and snark.

If you don't mind me throwing knives a bit, this comes from someone who has been berated heavily for his own views on this board.

Good synopsis, LoMS!

Again, if anyone could point to any specific instances of my apparent wrongdoing, I'm interested. I haven't "worn out my welcome" because I'm rude. I've not once meant anything of ill intent in any of my posts. I've "worn out my welcome" because I represent a libertarian/conservative point of view that people don't like hearing for some reason. Apparently if you want to preserve people's liberty that makes you a bad person in the liberal fantasy land that is HuskerBoard's Democratic party platform rah-rah forum titled "Politics & Religion"

Wrong.....

Being someone who is probably the most pro business person on this board, I can attest that I disagree with lots of people on this board often with no problem.

The issue with your posts are that they seem to be echoing propaganda talking points without much real data to back them up.

• Fire 3

I'm open to listening.

Only so far as to be able to condescend or jeeringly dismiss anyone who tries to take the bait.

I'll let you in on the reality of this situation. I don't say this to insult you, and I'm also not trying to convince you - just offering some information for you to understand if you so desire. You've already worn out your welcome and failed to take advantage of the possibility at a good first impression. You've sealed your fate, so to speak. Plenty of others like you have come and gone, and many of them would say the reason for the 'gone' part is because they didn't agree with the group think echo chamber, or because of hypocritical double standards, or whatever, but that's all self-justifications after the fact.

The reality is that they, like you, are simply not welcome because you're not enjoyable to converse with. A whole lot of us are still around here because we get something positive, kind, and informational out of our exchanges.

You lack all rapport and respect, and only offer thinly veiled rudeness and snark.

If you don't mind me throwing knives a bit, this comes from someone who has been berated heavily for his own views on this board.

Good synopsis, LoMS!

Again, if anyone could point to any specific instances of my apparent wrongdoing, I'm interested. I haven't "worn out my welcome" because I'm rude. I've not once meant anything of ill intent in any of my posts. I've "worn out my welcome" because I represent a libertarian/conservative point of view that people don't like hearing for some reason. Apparently if you want to preserve people's liberty that makes you a bad person in the liberal fantasy land that is HuskerBoard's Democratic party platform rah-rah forum titled "Politics & Religion"

Wrong.....

Being someone who is probably the most pro business person on this board, I can attest that I disagree with lots of people on this board often with no problem.

The issue with your posts are that they seem to be echoing propaganda talking points without much real data to back them up.

The few links I've provided on this board (I normally don't for lack of time) have been criticized for being "biased"

Meanwhile, articles from Vox seem to be good to go around here 🙄

Extremely biased links are criticized properly on this board. I have been critical of Vox many times. However, one difference with them is they typically will link valid sources within their articles.

I acknowledge Vox leans way left on many of their topics, but, I have also benefited from reading many of their articles.

Meanwhile, I don't know who you linked. But, this is way different than using someone like Infowars, Breitbart....etc. that blatantly just make crap up.

• Fire 4

I'm open to listening.

Good synopsis, LoMS!

Wrong.....

The few links I've provided on this board (I normally don't for lack of time) have been criticized for being "biased"

Meanwhile, articles from Vox seem to be good to go around here

You are just learning the ropes here - like I had to. There are some pretty smart cookies on the HB political forum, just make sure you document from reliable sources. In the past, I took what was the easiest link and posted it due to my own time constraints. Well that didn't serve my fellow HBers well. If you desire to educate than make sure the source is reliable. Now while I often link to Newsmax , most of its articles are really a 'retelling' of an article from some other reliable source - NY Times to Wall Street Journal to Forbes, etc and etc. If I find an article that is linked to a less reliable source (as what happens often on the Drudgereport) I look for another source to verify. I've learned that if I can't verify - don't post it unless you want to take some hot water for it.

I tend to be a 'big picture' kind of guy but my boss is Mr. Detail - so with him I've learned to over supply the amount of detail needed and to anticipate what his 'needs are'. In the same way, you will get treated fairly on HB if you do this. I've had some very good, challenging conversations wt other posters who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum than I.

Also be willing to grow. I'll use a couple of examples: I give Knapp kudos for challenging me in the same way you feel challenged. I've come back at him a few time to challenge his assumptions but I always appreciate his posts regardless. Be willing to grow also. I'm a conservative but I am also not a Trump supporter. Try not to drink the koolaid that your favorite 'team' is feeding you. That is why I've enjoyed reading Vox lately & I read the articles that Zoggs and Dude and NM and others post ( I hope they read my links) . It challenges my assumptions and it causes me to think bigger than my bias and helps me to see the view from the other side. We also have to remember that the other side isn't 'wrong' in most cases - just a different way of viewing the problem/issue from a different perspective. It is ok if other people have a different way of fixing a problem - that doesn't mean they are evil. We have too much of that mentality in DC and that is why nothing gets done.

In summary: Learning is like paddling a canoe upstream, once you stop, you go backwards. (Chinese proverb)

I'm still learning. I'm still a Christian, prolife, small govt conservative at heart but we have to keep the filters from getting in the way of sound judgment. We live in a very diverse, challenging environment with many different views on the challenges we face. I think most conservatives and most liberals have their hearts in the right places they just have different views on how to fix the same problems. One tends to be of the mindset that gov't solves all things and the other of the mindset that individual and private entities can solve it. Well, our problems are not always that simple and we have to realize there often needs to be a mix of options and compromise - a word seldom heard in DC and if it is - it becomes a word that is used by partisans as 'surrender'. Thus nothing gets done.

• Fire 5

Originally made by Vanessa Otero and republished via WSJ.

Her methodology.

http://www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com/?p=65

The fact that the chart is shareable does not necessarily make it TRUE. Having heard feedback from all corners of the internet, I know that many people disagree with my placements of news sources upon it. However, even people who disagree with the placements find the taxonomy helpful, because it provides a baseline for a discussion about media sources, which are inherently difficult to classify. Often, verbal and written discussions about news sources are limited to descriptions of sources as “good” and “bad,” and “biased” and “unbiased.” This chart allows for a few more dimensions to the conversation.

We talked about these charts (there were many of them sprouting up during the 2016 campaign and in its aftermath). Vanessa Otero is "some attorney somewhere". It's probably one of the more well-intentioned and accurate ones that I've seen. But it's also relatively basic. Or it's skewed towards including television sources (CBS news? ABC?) -- I can't tell which. There are incredibly notable omissions, such as Politico and The Intercept.

And I'm not a big fan of how partisanship automatically becomes associated with quality. That's not true; there are outlets that produce serious, conscientious work while leaning heavily left or right. You don't have to be within this safe, narrow range of "Center with slight left/right lean" -- the definition of mainstream, I guess -- to be considered reputable. Such a suggestion deprives us of everything outside the comfortably banal.

We talked about these charts (there were many of them sprouting up during the 2016 campaign and in its aftermath). Vanessa Otero is "some attorney somewhere". It's probably one of the more well-intentioned and accurate ones that I've seen. But it's also relatively basic. Or it's skewed towards including television sources (CBS news? ABC?) -- I can't tell which. There are incredibly notable omissions, such as Politico and The Intercept.

And I'm not a big fan of how partisanship automatically becomes associated with quality. That's not true; there are outlets that produce serious, conscientious work while leaning heavily left or right. You don't have to be within this safe, narrow range of "Center with slight left/right lean" -- the definition of mainstream, I guess -- to be considered reputable. Such a suggestion deprives us of everything outside the comfortably banal.

I have seen the discussions before, but figured it would be a good reminder because God forbid someone look through old threads before beginning a "conversation" about "liberal huskerboard" and show them the light!

That would be a real burden!

I'm open to listening.

Good synopsis, LoMS!

Wrong.....

Meanwhile, articles from Vox seem to be good to go around here

You are just learning the ropes here - like I had to. There are some pretty smart cookies on the HB political forum, just make sure you document from reliable sources. In the past, I took what was the easiest link and posted it due to my own time constraints. Well that didn't serve my fellow HBers well. If you desire to educate than make sure the source is reliable. Now while I often link to Newsmax , most of its articles are really a 'retelling' of an article from some other reliable source - NY Times to Wall Street Journal to Forbes, etc and etc. If I find an article that is linked to a less reliable source (as what happens often on the Drudgereport) I look for another source to verify. I've learned that if I can't verify - don't post it unless you want to take some hot water for it.

I tend to be a 'big picture' kind of guy but my boss is Mr. Detail - so with him I've learned to over supply the amount of detail needed and to anticipate what his 'needs are'. In the same way, you will get treated fairly on HB if you do this. I've had some very good, challenging conversations wt other posters who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum than I.

Also be willing to grow. I'll use a couple of examples: I give Knapp kudos for challenging me in the same way you feel challenged. I've come back at him a few time to challenge his assumptions but I always appreciate his posts regardless. Be willing to grow also. I'm a conservative but I am also not a Trump supporter. Try not to drink the koolaid that your favorite 'team' is feeding you. That is why I've enjoyed reading Vox lately & I read the articles that Zoggs and Dude and NM and others post ( I hope they read my links) . It challenges my assumptions and it causes me to think bigger than my bias and helps me to see the view from the other side. We also have to remember that the other side isn't 'wrong' in most cases - just a different way of viewing the problem/issue from a different perspective. It is ok if other people have a different way of fixing a problem - that doesn't mean they are evil. We have too much of that mentality in DC and that is why nothing gets done.

In summary: Learning is like paddling a canoe upstream, once you stop, you go backwards. (Chinese proverb)

I'm still learning. I'm still a Christian, prolife, small govt conservative at heart but we have to keep the filters from getting in the way of sound judgment. We live in a very diverse, challenging environment with many different views on the challenges we face. I think most conservatives and most liberals have their hearts in the right places they just have different views on how to fix the same problems. One tends to be of the mindset that gov't solves all things and the other of the mindset that individual and private entities can solve it. Well, our problems are not always that simple and we have to realize there often needs to be a mix of options and compromise - a word seldom heard in DC and if it is - it becomes a word that is used by partisans as 'surrender'. Thus nothing gets done.

Well said TG.

^+1! Well said, TG.

I have seen the discussions before, but figured it would be a good reminder because God forbid someone look through old threads before beginning a "conversation" about "liberal huskerboard" and show them the light!

That would be a real burden!

Oh, yes. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I mean we had a thread recently -- I don't know which one, but I think it's a thread TG started -- where several of these graphics were thrown about. My point is just that there are a number of these, and ofc, opinions vary on them. This is a pretty good -- at least honest -- one.