The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

^+1! Well said, TG.

I have seen the discussions before, but figured it would be a good reminder because God forbid someone look through old threads before beginning a "conversation" about "liberal huskerboard" and show them the light!

That would be a real burden!

Oh, yes. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I mean we had a thread recently -- I don't know which one, but I think it's a thread TG started -- where several of these graphics were thrown about. My point is just that there are a number of these, and ofc, opinions vary on them. This is a pretty good -- at least honest -- one.

No offense taken.

I had seen the conversations, but the Vox comment made me want to just stymie the liberal rhetoric.

+1 as well on that blurb from TGH. I've learned a lot from you as well, and I'm glad to have your perspective here. It is great that you've learned how to double check stories if you're unsure of their veracity. If everyone knew how to do that, we wouldn't find ourselves in a lot of the hot water we find ourselves in as a people today.

I love that chart. I've got a few nits to pick on certain outlets and as zoogs pointed out a few are missing, but it's a good starting point.

• Fire 1

Copied from the Dems Rebuild thread - belongs on this one.

He seems to be a pretty accomplished guy as his biography from his website notes below. The big strike I see against

him is that he is a Michigan fan :o.

Abdul El-Sayed

https://abdulformich....com/about.html

Abdul El-Sayed was born and raised in Michigan. His family reflects the diversity of our state, including immigrants who left Egypt in pursuit of greater opportunity in America, and farmers, teachers, and small-business owners who have lived in Gratiot County, Michigan for generations. Abdul is a product of Michigan public schools. He captained his high-school football, wrestling, and lacrosse teams, and went on to play lacrosse for the University of Michigan. He graduated in 2007, where he was honored to deliver the student commencement speech alongside President Bill Clinton.

Abdul went on to become a Rhodes Scholar, earning a doctorate from Oxford University and a medical degree from Columbia University. As a public health professor, Abdul became an internationally recognized expert in health policy and health inequalities.

At 30, Abdul became the youngest health official of a major American city when he was brought home by Mayor Mike Duggan to rebuild Detroit's Health Department after it was privatized during the city's bankruptcy. As Health Director, he was responsible for the health and safety of over 670,000 Detroiters, working tirelessly to ensure government accountability and transparency, promote health, and reduce cross-generational poverty.

After witnessing the systematic failures of government only a few miles away in Flint, Abdul worked hard to ensure that children attending Detroit schools and daycares were drinking lead-free water. He has also served expectant mothers and women by creating programs aimed at reducing infant mortality and unplanned pregnancy. He built a program to give schoolchildren across the city glasses if they needed them. Abdul also stood up for children with asthma by taking on corporations that wanted to pump more harmful pollutants into our air, working with them to reduce emissions and invest in parks.

Though the work continues, under Abdul’s leadership, the Detroit Health Department has become a state and national leader in public health innovation and environmental justice, in one of the fastest municipal public health turnarounds in American history.

Abdul is called to public service by a core belief in people. He believes that all people can thrive when we value each other and our communities, we seek to protect and defend our vulnerable, and when we create the kinds of opportunities that empower people to dream for a better future.

Abdul lives in Detroit with his wife, Sarah, a mental health doctor. He loves water sports, working out, good biographies, coffee, and Michigan sports.

Here is a new name to consider. Obama favors the former Mass Governor Devel Patrick

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/01/obamas-inner-circle-is-urging-deval-patrick-to-run-215443

Barack Obama is nudging him to run. His inner circle is actively encouraging it. Obama world’s clear and away 2020 favorite is sitting right here, on the 38th floor of the John Hancock Building, in a nicely decorated office at Bain Capital.

And Deval Patrick has many thoughts on what he says is Donald Trump’s governing by fear and a dishonest pitch for economic nostalgia, while encouraging a rise in casual racism and ditching any real commitment to civil rights.

Obama strategist David Axelrod has had several conversations with Patrick about running, and eagerly rattles off the early primary map logic: small-town campaign experience from his 2006 gubernatorial run that will jibe perfectly with Iowa, neighbor-state advantage in New Hampshire and the immediate bloc of votes he’d have as an African-American heading into South Carolina.

Valerie Jarrett, Obama’s close adviser and friend, says that a President Patrick is what “my heart desires.”

David Simas, Obama’s political director in the White House and now the CEO of his foundation, used to be Patrick’s deputy chief of staff and remains perhaps his biggest fan on the planet.

Obama himself—who is personally close to Patrick, and counts him among the very small group of people whom he thinks has actual political talent—has privately encouraged him to think about it, among others.

but since finishing up as governor two years ago amid mixed reviews, Patrick has largely disappeared from politics. There was a brief rumble about how he might run for president himself, or might get considered to be Hillary Clinton’s running mate, but neither thought ever actually went anywhere.

Instead, he’s been at Bain Capital, running a new social good private equity fund called Double Impact, which has raised $390 million for investments in small- and medium-size companies that he said need to show a focus on “sustainability, health and wellness, and then a place-based strategy we’re calling ‘community building,’ which is about companies that are intentional about creating good jobs and economic activity in places of chronic underemployment.” The first two investments are in a chain of small, low-cost gyms in Michigan and Indiana that he hopes will bring affordable fitness to underserved areas, and in a company in Texas that diverts organic waste.

Click here to subscribe to the full podcast, including hearing Patrick discuss the presidential speculation, his relationship with Elizabeth Warren and the Bain deal he consulted with her on, police accountability in Chicago and his history suing Jeff Sessions.

Not that any of this matters to Bernie Sanders-ized Democrats who are suspicious of finance types to begin with, and were taught by Obama’s 2012 brutal campaign attacks on Mitt Romney to think of Bain as a curse word—though notably, not by Patrick himself, who despite his friendship with Obama and co-chairmanship of the campaign, repeatedly refused to join in on the bashing.

“When I joined the firm, I think it took two or three days to work out the terms, and 2½ weeks to figure out how to announce it,” Patrick said, acknowledging the awkwardness he was getting himself into.

• Fire 1

Here is a new name to consider. Obama favors the former Mass Governor Devel Patrick

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/01/obamas-inner-circle-is-urging-deval-patrick-to-run-215443

Barack Obama is nudging him to run. His inner circle is actively encouraging it. Obama world’s clear and away 2020 favorite is sitting right here, on the 38th floor of the John Hancock Building, in a nicely decorated office at Bain Capital.

And Deval Patrick has many thoughts on what he says is Donald Trump’s governing by fear and a dishonest pitch for economic nostalgia, while encouraging a rise in casual racism and ditching any real commitment to civil rights.

Obama strategist David Axelrod has had several conversations with Patrick about running, and eagerly rattles off the early primary map logic: small-town campaign experience from his 2006 gubernatorial run that will jibe perfectly with Iowa, neighbor-state advantage in New Hampshire and the immediate bloc of votes he’d have as an African-American heading into South Carolina.

Valerie Jarrett, Obama’s close adviser and friend, says that a President Patrick is what “my heart desires.”

David Simas, Obama’s political director in the White House and now the CEO of his foundation, used to be Patrick’s deputy chief of staff and remains perhaps his biggest fan on the planet.

Obama himself—who is personally close to Patrick, and counts him among the very small group of people whom he thinks has actual political talent—has privately encouraged him to think about it, among others.

but since finishing up as governor two years ago amid mixed reviews, Patrick has largely disappeared from politics. There was a brief rumble about how he might run for president himself, or might get considered to be Hillary Clinton’s running mate, but neither thought ever actually went anywhere.

Instead, he’s been at Bain Capital, running a new social good private equity fund called Double Impact, which has raised $390 million for investments in small- and medium-size companies that he said need to show a focus on “sustainability, health and wellness, and then a place-based strategy we’re calling ‘community building,’ which is about companies that are intentional about creating good jobs and economic activity in places of chronic underemployment.” The first two investments are in a chain of small, low-cost gyms in Michigan and Indiana that he hopes will bring affordable fitness to underserved areas, and in a company in Texas that diverts organic waste.

Click here to subscribe to the full podcast, including hearing Patrick discuss the presidential speculation, his relationship with Elizabeth Warren and the Bain deal he consulted with her on, police accountability in Chicago and his history suing Jeff Sessions.

Not that any of this matters to Bernie Sanders-ized Democrats who are suspicious of finance types to begin with, and were taught by Obama’s 2012 brutal campaign attacks on Mitt Romney to think of Bain as a curse word—though notably, not by Patrick himself, who despite his friendship with Obama and co-chairmanship of the campaign, repeatedly refused to join in on the bashing.

“When I joined the firm, I think it took two or three days to work out the terms, and 2½ weeks to figure out how to announce it,” Patrick said, acknowledging the awkwardness he was getting himself into.

Coming from Bain Capital is a red flag and the Obama endorsement isn't a selling point for me. But let's see what he runs on if he launches a campaign.

President Donald Trump reportedly told a group of members at his Bedminster, New Jersey golf club that the reason he frequented the golf property so often was because "that White House is a real dump."

Pretty sad on so many levels.

I think the real story here is: When is the FBI going to investigate the leaker in his golfing group? /s

I have my fingers crossed! I would love to not have the "lesser of two evils" debate again.

Almost everyone agreed that we gave ourselves the worst 2016 ballot possible. Our candidates were running against the only person they could possibly beat because the approval ratings were so terrible. If no one from the GOP runs against Trump, they are willfully promoting 50% of the worst ballot in history. I really don't think that is hyperbole...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/6/16103798/flake-trump-conservatives-meet-the-press

He said he didn’t have many disagreements with the president's legislative agenda — immigration aside. He approved of the president's nominees for the federal bench, he said he thought Trump was "on the right track" in his push to deregulate businesses, and he said he believes that the president has "good instincts" on tax reform.

The only issues he expects to clash with the president include any scenario in which Trump tries to limit free trade or legal immigration.

One thing that Trump is good at is being an open book. His lies, his lack of knowledge, the brutality of an agenda, including the "GOP red meat" parts such as upward wealth transfer and "healthcare's not a right", these are things that are plain to a lot of people across the spectrum.

Trump goes about his business in a way that comes off as really obviously wrong.

I worry about what happens when he is replaced by people pursuing the same things, but who put a better face on it all. I'm frustrated and saddened sometimes, but I know it's ultimately to expect anything other than a lot of people currently in the anti-Trump camp jumping back to the Republican fold once they get their branding right.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trump not doing well among what 538 calls "reluctant Trump voters":

Is the U.S. headed in the right direction or wrong direction?
  AMONG TRUMP VOTERS WHO WERE …
    EXCITED TO VOTE TRUMP   NOT EXCITED TO VOTE TRUMP
Right direction 61%
37%
Wrong direction 36
No answer 3

Among 3,227 adults interviewed Aug. 18-21, 2017

SOURCE: SURVEYMONKEY

Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Trump is handling his job?
Approve 95%
63%
Disapprove 4

A 3,227 adults interviewed Aug. 18-21, 2017

If the 2020 election were held today, would you …
Definitely vote to re-elect Trump 63%
12%
Probably vote to re-elect Trump 28
Probably vote for someone else 5
Definitely vote for someone else 3
Would not vote 1
No answer 0   2

Among 3,227 adults interviewed Aug. 18-21, 2017

2 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Looks like there are some initial rumblings about your unity ticket, TGH.

Yahoo! (as in cheerful, not the website :))    Instead of dividing over the fringe issues, maybe there can be unity on the big common issues.  I'd vote for this ticket in a heartbeat. 

Here is an important statement in the article and I believe this to be true:

But a veteran operative emails: "Our political system is completely broken. Something big and historic needs to happen to break the logjam. I'm a big Dem but I'm for anything that ... does away with this hyper-partisanship on both sides that is paralyzing our government."

• Plus1 1