The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

I would consider supporting an anti corruption bi-partisan party.

The laws to keep $ out of politics have been eroding for decades. We are becoming an Oligarchy. No more policies that help only mega corporations and hurt the country.

If I was to create a bi-partisan party that would be the focus. Also - no more gerrymandering.

The other focus would be to stop infringing on personal rights and enforcing things that don't matter or aren't harmful.

a) stop the anti-gay sh#t

b) stop the anti-religion-if-it's-not-Christian sh#t

c) legalize marijuana

d) return to pre-Trump immigration policies

e) return to pre-Trump abortion policies

f) return to pre-Trump environment/science policies

g) as a bone to the conservatives, talk less about guns (even though Democrats haven't come close to trying to take guns away)

I believe F would be fixed if the influence of $ was reduced in politics. Anti science views are born from companies that would lose $ if they don't convince the ignorant that the science is wrong.

G might be fixed too. The NRA has a lot of $ - I haven't really looked into what they've done to influence politics. My fiancé gets a few gun magazines and they are very political. He's also a member of the NRA and one of the letters he got suggested who he should vote for in a local election. This fear of guns being taken is largely manufactured. That and abortion are 2 stupid issues that win the Republicans a lot of votes

• Plus1 3
  • 3 months later...

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 1:52 PM, Moiraine said:

I want Tammy Duckworth but she wasn't born in the U.S. She's not technically ineligible but it would be brought up.

This made me smile:

I spent my entire adult life looking out for the well-being, the training, the equipping of the troops for whom I was responsible. Sadly, this is something that the current occupant of the Oval Office does not seem to care to do — and I will not be lectured about what our military needs by a five-deferment draft dodger. And I have a message for cadet bone spurs: If you cared about our military, you'd stop baiting Kim Jong Un into a war that could put 85,000 American troops, and millions of innocent civilians, in danger.

As for the rest, I've seen her be much more polished than this. In fact it was off the cuff remarks against the candidate she was running against for Senate that really made me like her.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

I really think the next Democratic potus  candidate must be able to weather the smear campaign that the GOP will run on them . If they can stand up to that, I think people will be more apt to listen to their policies , goals , and aspirations . 

I’d go with someone like Joe Biden for political experience, and knowledge of the system . And Joe Kennedy to add a different perspective, attracting young voters . 

Not sure what dirt could be dug on those two , but I think if people actually listened to their message,  they could change many voters minds . From what I’ve read, and listened to they seem like decent human beings who would actually try to do what’s best for the people of this country . That would be a refreshing change from the current administration. 

Edited by Big Red 40

On 7/31/2017 at 5:06 PM, TGHusker said:

You are just learning the ropes here - like I had to. There are some pretty smart cookies on the HB political forum, just make sure you document from reliable sources. In the past, I took what was the easiest link and posted it due to my own time constraints. Well that didn't serve my fellow HBers well. If you desire to educate than make sure the source is reliable. Now while I often link to Newsmax , most of its articles are really a 'retelling' of an article from some other reliable source - NY Times to Wall Street Journal to Forbes, etc and etc. If I find an article that is linked to a less reliable source (as what happens often on the Drudgereport) I look for another source to verify. I've learned that if I can't verify - don't post it unless you want to take some hot water for it.

I tend to be a 'big picture' kind of guy but my boss is Mr. Detail - so with him I've learned to over supply the amount of detail needed and to anticipate what his 'needs are'. In the same way, you will get treated fairly on HB if you do this. I've had some very good, challenging conversations wt other posters who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum than I. 

Well stated TG, and duly noted be myself too,  as  I’m new to the P&R section . 

I think it’s worth mentioning the difference between opinions, theology , perspective etc,  and statistics, historical data and facts.

There are many well read,  articulate , posters on here, and I enjoy learning from their posts. Posters who can back the things they say with facts, are very informative . I haven’t put in the data gathering time that they have though , so I I’m not in a position to engage in those discussions.  Just lurk and learn . 

I gravitate more to the opinion threads and discussions on theology , philosophy, ideals etc . I like to hear how others think and live . 

I try to clarify my opinions as such by saying “I think” or “ I believe” etc .since one  of my big pet peeves is people who state opinion as fact .

I don’t have a problem with someone saying “ I don’t like that food “ ,” that music isn’t my thing “ , or “I don’t believe that “ .

Especially if I’ve stated I like/believe one of those things  , and you come at me with “that food is terrible” “that music sucks “ or “that’s just stupid” NOW we have a problem . lol  :Dsometimes it’s all in the presentation . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1

Lurch may run for president again.   However, he may have violated the Logan Act.  We'll see if Trump brings it up in a tweet today.

He'll be 76 in 2020. Don't the dems have any big hitters under 70 -  Warren, Bernie, Kerry.  This old group needs to let

go of the reigns and face reality and let the younger generation take over the party. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5308005/John-Kerry-says-run-president-2020.html

John Kerry tells Mahmoud Abbas ally that he might run for president in 2020 as he urges Palestinians to 'play for time' and 'not give in to Trump'

• Former secretary of state told a close confidant of Mahmoud Abbas that he's considering another run for the White House
  • Urged Palestinians to 'play for time' while Trump is president and said he could broker a separate peace deal with Israel
  • Lebanese academic who met with Kerry in London relayed the conversation back to the Palestinian Authority, and an Israeli newspaper reported it
  • Kerry, 74, was the Democratic presidential nominee in 2004 but lost to George W. Bush
  • His attempt at  foreign policy could be seen as a violation of the Logan Act, which prohibits unauthorized civilians from conducting foreign policy

Kerry won't run for president again. It's been a long time since a general election loser was nominated again. I know people love to clutch at pearls every time someone mentions Clinton running again, but she won't either.

The only older people I personally could see winning the nomination in 2020 would be Bernie or Joe Biden. I'd vote for either of them in a heartbeat over Trump. But I find myself hoping that we nominate someone younger with a lot of passion & enthusiasm to contrast with Trump's old & erratic persona.

• Plus1 1

So... I wonder if Joe Kennedy is testing the waters for a run. He's doing the state of the union rebuttal. His name doesn't qualify him but that's kinda where we are now.

Edit: Okay, the more I think of this the less dumb it is. It's not that I think he would be the best choice (I know almost nothing about him except he's Democrat), but I will get behind whoever has the best chance of beating Trump who is simultaneously not a total a**hole. So anyway, the thing that made it less dumb for me is he's 38, so I think he will get a lot of the young vote just like Obama did. But he could also get some of the independent or GOP senior citizens who loved Kennedy. I know some senior citizen Republicans who hate Trump and want anyone to vote for over him.

Also, he presumably doesn't have any baggage. That makes him 10x better than Clinton. But he still has name recognition just like she did which will gain him attention immediately.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1