The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 1/27/2018 at 11:41 AM, Moiraine said:

So... I wonder if Joe Kennedy is testing the waters for a run. He's doing the state of the union rebuttal. His name doesn't qualify him but that's kinda where we are now.

Edit: Okay, the more I think of this the less dumb it is. It's not that I think he would be the best choice (I know almost nothing about him except he's Democrat), but I will get behind whoever has the best chance of beating Trump who is simultaneously not a total a**hole. So anyway, the thing that made it less dumb for me is he's 38, so I think he will get a lot of the young vote just like Obama did. But he could also get some of the independent or GOP senior citizens who loved Kennedy. I know some senior citizen Republicans who hate Trump and want anyone to vote for over him.

Also, he presumably doesn't have any baggage. That makes him 10x better than Clinton. But he still has name recognition just like she did which will gain him attention immediately.

I've seen lots of liberal backlash against him being the rebuttal choice. It's disheartening to see the left eat itself over candidates who aren't perfectly liberal/pure enough. 

29 minutes ago, Fru said:

I've seen lots of liberal backlash against him being the rebuttal choice. It's disheartening to see the left eat itself over candidates who aren't perfectly liberal/pure enough. 

Populism is growing stronger. If the Dems run a center-right candidate again or any candidate that doesn't promise big changes, they'll lose again.

Remains to be seen what JK3's policies are.

32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Populism is growing stronger. If the Dems run a center-right candidate again or any candidate that doesn't promise big changes, they'll lose again.

Remains to be seen what JK3's policies are.

The backlash I've seen has been due to him being a straight, white, cis, privileged male. It's not about his policy, it's about his outward identity. That's what's troubling to me. 

Just now, Fru said:

The backlash I've seen has been due to him being a straight, white, cis, privileged male. It's not about his policy, it's about his outward identity. That's what's troubling to me. 

I haven't seen that backlash, but that's non-sense and indeed troubling.

The reactions I've seen have been more along the lines of JK3 being part of the establishment and more of the same.

Republicans unite to support the most vile of candidates so they can advance their cause. 

The President talks about how the nuke button on his desk is bigger than the other guys. 

Democrats tear each other apart for selecting a State of the Union rebuttal speaker than isn't marginalized enough. 

Edited by Fru
1 minute ago, Fru said:

Republicans unite to support the most vile of candidates so they can advance their cause. 

The President threatens talks about how the nuke button on his desk is bigger than the other guys. 

Democrats tear each other apart for selecting a State of the Union rebuttal speaker than isn't marginalized enough. 

Does this tweet really represent the bolded though? Seems like a small fringe of the left is promoting this talking point based on my admittedly quick and anecdotal google search.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Does this tweet really represent the bolded though? Seems like a small fringe of the left is promoting this talking point based on my admittedly quick and anecdotal google search.

If it was an important enough topic for a CNN panel, then it seemingly has legs. 

Just now, Fru said:

If it was an important enough topic for a CNN panel, then it seemingly has legs. 

Maybe it's just that I assume anything CNN does on a panel is non-sense attempting to be like ESPN. You could be right and the media will run with this story, but I care more about what the voters and the Dem party are actually thinking and doing.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Maybe it's just that I assume anything CNN does on a panel is non-sense attempting to be like ESPN. You could be right and the media will run with this story, but I care more about what the voters and the Dem party are actually thinking and doing.

Very true.

I was just pointing out how the left seems to never be satisfied and doesn't rally around candidates. It seems like it doesn't matter who they'd pick, there'd have been something to complain about. Bernie is an old white guy. Elizabeth Warren  doesn't include intersectional feminist populaces. Maxine Waters is corrupt. Cory Booker takes big pharma money. There's always something that liberals find to tear down people who are generally on their same side and looking to advance the same causes.

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

Very true.

I was just pointing out how the left seems to never be satisfied and doesn't rally around candidates. It seems like it doesn't matter who they'd pick, there'd have been something to complain about. Bernie is an old white guy. Elizabeth Warren  doesn't include intersectional feminist populaces. Maxine Waters is corrupt. Cory Booker takes big pharma money. There's always something that liberals find to tear down people who are generally on their same side and looking to advance the same causes.

Welcome to politics? :dunno

I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but I mean, isn't that what all of politics is these days, not just liberals?

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but I mean, isn't that what all of politics is these days, not just liberals?

Lol, I know what you mean. I don't have 40 years of supporting one party under my belt like other folks here, so yes some of this is a new experience for me. 

But I guess when Republicans can rally around the first Presidential Candidate openly  endorsed by the KKK, you'd think liberals could find it in themselves to vote for a left of center moderate career politician with some baggage so we could avoid utter ruin. Or even rally around and lift each other up.

Edited by Fru

My understanding is that there are a couple others, Maxine Walters & Bernie also doing rebuttals on other stations (BET and I'm not sure where Bernie's will be) with the same message and talking points.  I actually very much like that idea, but it will be interesting to see if they pull it off without looking disjointed.

And while I'm not sure how Joe got picked for this, I do know that he has higher aspirations for office.  Not sure if that's as P or VP in 2020, but I have a close friend with ties to the family and he's making moves to identify those around him that would potentially be going with him to DC.  I'll be anxious to see my friend next week and pick his brain a bit more after the SOTU rebuttal.

It's funny how the rebuttal has been the death of some political careers - but a strong one will certainly be a good beacon for our democracy right now.  Joe will do great.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Republicans, with very few exceptions, proudly rallied around an alleged child molester because they needed the Senate seat.

Fru has a good point. You don't see that type of dogged rallying around a candidate (even if they're garbage) on the left. Only on the right. If you didn't see it on the right, Trump wouldn't ever have been elected.

• Plus1 1