The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Wait, wait, wait. The Republicans just showed that they don't care about balanced budgets and how we pay for stuff, but now the Dems are getting ripped for it? It's bizzaro world.

I'm pretty sure he is going to run as a Democrat (if he runs).

I'm also pretty sure he is talking about policies that have been on the Democratic platform for a while now.

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure he is going to run as a Democrat (if he runs).

I'm also pretty sure he is talking about policies that have been on the Democratic platform for a while now.

I'm just pointing out that a potential Dem Presidential candidate is running on the Repub talking point "how are we going to pay for this?" against other Dems. The Dems really are becoming the Eisenhower/Reagan Repubs, not just in policy, but now even in messaging.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Wait, wait, wait. The Republicans just showed that they don't care about balanced budgets and how we pay for stuff, but now the Dems are getting ripped for it? It's bizzaro world.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive as far as open game for criticism.

38 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The two things aren't mutually exclusive as far as open game for criticism.

Of course they aren't. I'm pointing out how strange it is that the 2 parties essentially swapped positions. (At least in this one case.)

As someone sympathetic to liberal policies... Dems have to do what Schultz is criticizing them for in order to win elections. Far too often they get bogged down in technocratic explanations of why programs are important and how we're going to be responsible and pay for them, as if they're appealing to some fiscally minded bloc of independents. The problem is that group, to the extent it exists, is already deeply skeptical of most liberal policies they're having explained to them by Dems. And the Democratic base doesn't get enthused by the technocratic talk.

You saw it in the 2016 primaries: People were super fired up for Bernie's plans, whereas Clinton criticized him for how he proposed to pay for them. Guess what? She won the battle but lost the war.

Meanwhile, Pubs have explained away things like their tax plan using funny math and stuff like "it'll pay for itself!" They similarly tried to mislead people about the effects of their healthcare plans.

I'd like to see the Dems just cut it loose and focus on big, bold proposals. The group of people that vote on fiscal responsibility appears to be shrinking. If 2016 taught us anything, it's that people will vote for even fruit loop ideas if they get pitched right - and they'll worry about the specifics later.

9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

As someone sympathetic to liberal policies... Dems have to do what Schultz is criticizing them for in order to win elections. Far too often they get bogged down in technocratic explanations of why programs are important and how we're going to be responsible and pay for them, as if they're appealing to some fiscally minded bloc of independents. The problem is that group, to the extent it exists, is already deeply skeptical of most liberal policies they're having explained to them by Dems. And the Democratic base doesn't get enthused by the technocratic talk.

You saw it in the 2016 primaries: People were super fired up for Bernie's plans, whereas Clinton criticized him for how he proposed to pay for them. Guess what? She won the battle but lost the war.

Meanwhile, Pubs have explained away things like their tax plan using funny math and stuff like "it'll pay for itself!" They similarly tried to mislead people about the effects of their healthcare plans.

I'd like to see the Dems just cut it loose and focus on big, bold proposals. The group of people that vote on fiscal responsibility appears to be shrinking. If 2016 taught us anything, it's that people will vote for even fruit loop ideas if they get pitched right - and they'll worry about the specifics later.

I don't agree with your first paragraph, but I strongly agree with the bolded.