The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If you don't like the Hillary example, look at the entire Republican field for 2016. None of the center-right candidates were competitive.

And I think Hillary lost both because of her personality and her policies. Business as usual wasn't a winning set of policies. It's why I think Biden would struggle in the general against Trump.

Let me ask everyone this.  Take all the politics out of it.  All the Washington bickering, lying, cheating, pathetic people elected.....bla bla bla...that has been going on the last X years.

At the end of Obama's era......what was so horrible about life in America?  Yes, there were some policies of his I wanted changed.  But, that's with every President since Washington.  

I had a friend of mine jump down my throat the other day that's a big Trump fan.  He got all pissy and said, "OUR COUNTRY WAS GOING DOWN THE TUBES"...  I didn't get into it with him because...well....I just didn't feel like it.  But, I wanted to ask....what is so miserable right now about living in America that we need drastic change?

So, when you claim that the same policies weren't going to get her elected, that must mean that the majority of Americans didn't like Obama's policies.  That's from both the right and left.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

I guess my worry is that the "outrage" will lead to candidates further from the mainstream.  For example, here in Omaha Brad Ashford was beaten by Kara Eastmen mostly because Dems felt Ashford wasn't "left" enough.  Eastman will get beat by Bacon because she will focus on pro-choice, anti-gun, and higher minimum wage.  It will do a great job of rallying the democrats, but there won't be enough of them to be successful.  These aren't policies I disagree with, but it won't relate to Nebraska moderates.

Here is Eastman's website's on the issues section.

Is there really anything controversial in there? She's focused on healthcare because it's the number one issue for many people, especially Dems, which is good for turning out the base in Omaha. But she doesn't make Roe v. Wade a focus, she talks about Medicare for All. 

Likewise, running on gun control explicitly to protect kids will piss some people off, but it really shouldn't. I could see the ban on "weapons of war" turning people off. This is the most controversial issue for her. 

The rest is pretty standard. Is Omaha so moderate it doesn't want an increased minimum wage? She focuses a lot on improving the economy, infrastructure, reforming politics for the people, etc. Pretty staple liberal policies. I personally don't think she could be any worse than Ashford, who already lost to Bacon himself. 

Also, not directed at you, but FWIW, Biden has a pretty good chance to whip Trump's butt in 2020 if he's the nominee. Remember, charisma is the most important trait in a candidate, and Diamond Joe has that in spades. He wouldn't be afraid to call Trump on his crap directly rather than trying to be too cute by half about it like Clinton. Being too close to Obama? Americans don't hate Obama - Republicans hate Obama. Joe would turnout most of the Obama coalition, and as long as he appeals to indies more than Trump, Trump can turn out his base all he wants, he's still lose.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Is there really anything controversial in there? She's focused on healthcare because it's the number one issue for many people, especially Dems, which is good for turning out the base in Omaha. But she doesn't make Roe v. Wade a focus, she talks about Medicare for All. 

Likewise, running on gun control explicitly to protect kids will piss some people off, but it really shouldn't. I could see the ban on "weapons of war" turning people off. This is the most controversial issue for her. 

The rest is pretty standard. Is Omaha so moderate it doesn't want an increased minimum wage? She focuses a lot on improving the economy, infrastructure, reforming politics for the people, etc. Pretty staple liberal policies. I personally don't think she could be any worse than Ashford, who already lost to Bacon himself. 

Also, not directed at you, but FWIW, Biden has a pretty good chance to whip Trump's butt in 2020 if he's the nominee. Remember, charisma is the most important trait in a candidate, and Diamond Joe has that in spades. He wouldn't be afraid to call Trump on his crap directly rather than trying to be too cute by half about it like Clinton. Being too close to Obama? Americans don't hate Obama - Republicans hate Obama. Joe would turnout most of the Obama coalition, and as long as he appeals to indies more than Trump, Trump can turn out his base all he wants, he's still lose.

I don't think "standard liberal" works in Nebraska anymore.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think "standard liberal" works in Nebraska anymore.

Yeah, that's my one worry. Despite some increase in progressive policies in general, NE-02 is still pretty moderate. Not to mention the district was pretty obviously gerrymandered.

I vacillated on who I thought was the better candidate. At first I thought Ashford, then I figured we may as well take a shot on Eastman. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Regarding Eastman, I'm just cynical about Dem chances in Omaha.  The reception Don Bacon got at the Elkhorn Days Parade this past weekend did me in....

As far as Biden goes, my comments about him and others were tongue in cheek.  I would love to see him run and put Trump in his place on a debate stage.  But, again, I fear the worst.  Forgive me for losing faith in the American electorate :)

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask everyone this.  Take all the politics out of it.  All the Washington bickering, lying, cheating, pathetic people elected.....bla bla bla...that has been going on the last X years.

At the end of Obama's era......what was so horrible about life in America?  Yes, there were some policies of his I wanted changed.  But, that's with every President since Washington.  

I had a friend of mine jump down my throat the other day that's a big Trump fan.  He got all pissy and said, "OUR COUNTRY WAS GOING DOWN THE TUBES"...  I didn't get into it with him because...well....I just didn't feel like it.  But, I wanted to ask....what is so miserable right now about living in America that we need drastic change?

So, when you claim that the same policies weren't going to get her elected, that must mean that the majority of Americans didn't like Obama's policies.  That's from both the right and left.

The major issue is incomes of the bottom 60% of Americans have been flat since about 1980. Take a look at the old Rust Belt - parts look like a third world country. Americans have taken on a lot of debt to make up for the difference in standard of living and income. Things like healthcare and student loans are now back-breaking expenses. I don't think it was one thing that happened under Obama (or Bush or Clinton or...) but rather the slow, steady pressure of trying to make ends meet with less. Couple that with disingenuous politicians' promises over that time period, corporations and the wealthy getting more brazen in openly buying those same politicians, global manufacturing that knee-capped labor's ability to negotiate, and you get a 30+ year buildup of anti-establishment sentiment.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, commando said:

the headline is a little misleading.  the bill isn't keeping only trump off the ballot.   it is making all candidates disclose their taxes.

Not sure why it’s misleading. Trump is the only one not willing to disclose his taxes. 

Im sure it would be easy to contest it in court if it were just about Trump. 

• Plus1 3

Kamala Harris stated last week she's not ruling out a run for president in 2020. I just watched an interview with her and she's pretty boring, but not boring in a "I really can't relate to you and you're fake" way like Clinton.

Bloomberg says he's running. He'll be 78 or 79 during the election depending on his birthday.

Biden kinda said he wasn't running then said he was joking and doesn't know yet. (Typical Biden).

Hickenlooper says a decision is coming soon.

• Plus1 1