The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 6/30/2018 at 11:14 PM, Moiraine said:

Kamala Harris stated last week she's not ruling out a run for president in 2020. I just watched an interview with her and she's pretty boring, but not boring in a "I really can't relate to you and you're fake" way like Clinton.

Bloomberg says he's running. He'll be 78 or 79 during the election depending on his birthday.

Biden kinda said he wasn't running then said he was joking and doesn't know yet. (Typical Biden).

Hickenlooper says a decision is coming soon.

And I've seen a couple interviews with her where she lights up - I think it depends on who she's talking to.  She's my gal, though Bloomberg isnt a bad option.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not in favor of a President in his/her 80s.

I agree

Give me someone late 50's early 60's to vote for.  They are old enough to know how the world works, and young enough to live and witness some of the consequences of their administration.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not in favor of a President in his/her 80s.

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I agree

Give me someone late 50's early 60's to vote for.  They are old enough to know how the world works, and young enough to live and witness some of the consequences of their administration.

Give me a leader with clear goals I can vote for - I don't care about their age, race, religion, etc.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Give me a leader with clear goals I can vote for - I don't care about their age, race, religion, etc.

Trump had clear goals - end immigration, ban Muslims, Exit Treaties, Tariffs.  etc, etc.  He was very clear on his intentions and we are surprised when he carries them out and/or didn't moderate once he took office.   

Perhaps you mean, clear goals you can agree to.  :)

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Trump had clear goals - end immigration, ban Muslims, Exit Treaties, Tariffs.  etc, etc.  He was very clear on his intentions and we are surprised when he carries them out and/or didn't moderate once he took office.   

Perhaps you mean, clear goals you can agree to.  :)

Yes, I meant that I can vote for. I can't vote for Trump.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I've been thinking lately that there are a lot worse things than getting nothing done, which was a big complaint about Obama.

I think getting nothing done is a part of what led us to this point. Americans want change. It's why "Hope and Change" was effective, but if you then don't deliver...

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think getting nothing done is a part of what led us to this point. Americans want change. It's why "Hope and Change" was effective, but if you then don't deliver...

I mean, we got out of the recession, which I believe was a big factor in people wanting change.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I read the first article.

You could write similar type articles still about the great depression and the people who lived through it.  These bad economic eras have lasting affects on people and countries.

I should have listed the last link first as I think it's the best discussion because it highlights both the success and failure of getting out of the Great Recession.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I should have listed the last link first as I think it's the best discussion because it highlights both the success and failure of getting out of the Great Recession.

I read the last article.  Good read.  Honestly, it's all stuff that I'm not surprised is the case after as bad of economic disaster as that was.  I also don't see much there that honestly the government can fix.  It just takes time to work it's way through.

Example.   I've stated on here before that our company almost went bankrupt during the time between 2007 and 2011.  Our sales were cut by 50%.  We waited as long as we could before we had to cut jobs and that exacerbated the losses.  Our bank went out of business leaving us without funding and (since we were losing money) no bank wanted us.

If it weren't for one hell of a lot of really tough decisions, hard work and some major luck...we wouldn't be here.

Our sales and workforce still aren't where they were in 2006.  The bottom line of the company has been healthy since 2012.  But, we are still paying down large amounts of debt that were built up while losing money.

All of this has caused everyone associated with the company from owners to lower end employees to go through some years with cut wages or no raises.  I know my personal savings isn't where it would be if those years hadn't happened.

All this is evidence of how vitally important the economy is and how making bad decisions can destroy financial security for so many.

FYI....this is a major reason why I am scared to death of what Trump is doing with our trade partners and agreements.  He's flying by the seat of his pants and has no clue what he's doing.

• Plus1 3

Don't count Hilary out just yet per this OPED.   She's trying to stay in the conversation with alarming comments about Trump, etc.

With a possible large Dem field, and no clear cut leader, she could sneak in as the 'savior' of the party or as a compromised choice.

If she decides to run - the Dem's response:  NOOOOOOO      The Rep response:  YESSSSSSSSSSS

https://nypost.com/2018/07/07/is-hillary-clinton-secretly-planning-to-run-in-2020/

Here’s how I believe she sees the playing field, and why she can’t be ignored.

First, because there’s no clear front-runner for the nomination 18 months into Trump’s presidency, Clinton remains the closest thing to an incumbent. She’s also got numerous advantages, from name recognition to campaign experience to an off-the-shelf cabinet, that could give her a head start.

Second, a crowded, diverse field diminishes the chances of anyone knocking her off. Recall how Trump outlasted 16 GOP rivals by having a committed core of supporters that grew as the field shrank. Clinton could be in a similar position — unpopular among many, but also unbeatable by a single opponent.

Third, looking ahead to the 2020 primaries, she sees no reason to fear the favorite daughters and sons in key blue states. She would almost certainly beat Sen. Kamala Harris in California, Sen. Cory Booker in New Jersey and Gov. Andrew Cuomo in New York.

And please — forget Sanders and Joe Biden. Sanders is already 76 and Biden, at 75, has never been a viable candidate for president and still isn’t.

Fourth, money is not an issue. Some donors will resist Clinton at first, but any Dem nominee can count on all the money in the world to run against Trump.

To be clear, there are scenarios where Clinton doesn’t run. Health reasons, for example, or a younger rival could rocket to the top of the pack and become the party’s next Barack Obama. Either way, recurring nightmares of two previous defeats would send her back to wandering through the Chappaqua woods.

For now, I am convinced Clinton wants to go for it. Doubters should recall the line about pols who get the presidential itch: There are only two cures — election or death.

• Plus1 1