I have Zelda, Mario Kart, and Binding of Isaac for full retail releases, plus Snipperclips, and two Neo Geo games. I'm absolutely in love with the hardware of the Switch. I think that a system that seamlessly goes from handheld to TV, and has two built in controllers is just brilliant. I had a flight and long layover last week and was able to break off the controllers and kill some time in the airport with my girlfriend.

That being said, there just aren't games out there. Zelda is disappointing given they spent a million years making it and it doesn't live up to other entries in the series, Mario Kart is a terrible game if you don't have someone else local to play with you, and there is almost nothing on the horizon. The Arms demo was crap, Splatoon 2 looks as uninspiring as the first, which leaves Mario Odyssey in December as the next big release on my radar.

Next to Zelda, I've probably spent the most time playing Neo Geo Turf Masters. Golf game that is very easy to pick up and play but impossible to master. Well worth the $8. I've got no problem playing older games on my new hardware while waiting for more titles to come out, but Nintendo couldn't even get their Virtual Console up and running. Wii, Wii U and 3DS all had that in the launch window. They were so obnoxiously ill prepared for the Switch launch. They haven't paid attention to the Wii U in years, and now the two big Switch games are just Wii U games. What in the hell has Nintendo been doing these past few years?

As someone who has religiously played Zelda games since 1988, I strongly disagree with this.

I won't say I've religiously played the series, but have played through just about every main entry to the series (have not done most handheld entries or Skyward Sword) with WindWaker, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Link's Awakening among my favorites.

Breath of the Wild, to me, is very underwhelming when I compare it to my favorite entries in the series. There's just so very little content to it. It's a vast world of nothing, complete with pathetically short dungeons and all the boring rock climbing and hang gliding everyone has been begging for. Every instance of enjoyment felt like it was ended prematurely, like where is the rest of this dungeon? When thinking of WindWaker, which is also plagued by monotonous travel, I remember being rewarded for my travels. Entertaining, fulfilling dungeons and inspiring settings.

I will replay it with tempered expectations, but right now my stance is that Breath of the Wild just doesn't have enough substance.

I have Zelda, Mario Kart, and Binding of Isaac for full retail releases, plus Snipperclips, and two Neo Geo games. I'm absolutely in love with the hardware of the Switch. I think that a system that seamlessly goes from handheld to TV, and has two built in controllers is just brilliant. I had a flight and long layover last week and was able to break off the controllers and kill some time in the airport with my girlfriend.

That being said, there just aren't games out there. Zelda is disappointing given they spent a million years making it and it doesn't live up to other entries in the series, Mario Kart is a terrible game if you don't have someone else local to play with you, and there is almost nothing on the horizon. The Arms demo was crap, Splatoon 2 looks as uninspiring as the first, which leaves Mario Odyssey in December as the next big release on my radar.

Next to Zelda, I've probably spent the most time playing Neo Geo Turf Masters. Golf game that is very easy to pick up and play but impossible to master. Well worth the $8. I've got no problem playing older games on my new hardware while waiting for more titles to come out, but Nintendo couldn't even get their Virtual Console up and running. Wii, Wii U and 3DS all had that in the launch window. They were so obnoxiously ill prepared for the Switch launch. They haven't paid attention to the Wii U in years, and now the two big Switch games are just Wii U games. What in the hell has Nintendo been doing these past few years?

As someone who has religiously played Zelda games since 1988, I strongly disagree with this.

I won't say I've religiously played the series, but have played through just about every main entry to the series (have not done most handheld entries or Skyward Sword) with WindWaker, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Link's Awakening among my favorites.

Breath of the Wild, to me, is very underwhelming when I compare it to my favorite entries in the series. There's just so very little content to it. It's a vast world of nothing, complete with pathetically short dungeons and all the boring rock climbing and hang gliding everyone has been begging for. Every instance of enjoyment felt like it was ended prematurely, like where is the rest of this dungeon? When thinking of WindWaker, which is also plagued by monotonous travel, I remember being rewarded for my travels. Entertaining, fulfilling dungeons and inspiring settings.

I will replay it with tempered expectations, but right now my stance is that Breath of the Wild just doesn't have enough substance.

For context, how far into the game are you?

Wind Waker has the exact same number of main dungeons as BotW: Four + Ganon Endgame. There are just substantially more mini-dungeons, exploration elements, and places to find things in BotW than Wind Waker.

• Fire 1

Played through the main quest back in March. Did not bother with Korok seeds or many side quests.

This topic has inspired me to pick the game back up for a replay. Maybe I'll come away with a different opinion after playing with a different mindset.

Played through the main quest back in March. Did not bother with Korok seeds or many side quests.

This topic has inspired me to pick the game back up for a replay. Maybe I'll come away with a different opinion after playing with a different mindset.

A lot of my enjoyment was derived from the sidequests and the side missions.

Maybe I'm unusual in this regard but I like all the 2D games. I appreciate Ocarina's legend status in the series and had a blast with Skyward Sword on Wii but nothing can get past ALTTP for me.

My favorite game since then has probably been Link Between Worlds :D

• Fire 1

Maybe I'm unusual in this regard but I like all the 2D games. I appreciate Ocarina's legend status in the series and had a blast with Skyward Sword on Wii but nothing can get past ALTTP for me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. LttP is solidly top 3 for me, and I still have a soft spot for the first two NES games.

Was just going to say, Link Between Worlds is necessary playing for *ANYONE* that loved LttP. That game was very well done, and it laid the groundwork for BotW in that they gave Link all of the tools from the get-go, and you had to figure out how to use them in different combinations (instead of the traditional Zelda approach--e.g. where when you're in the hookshot dungeon, most of the puzzles are hookshot-based).

And when it comes to Zelda games, don't forget the excellent CD-i titles of yore:

zeldacdi.jpg

• Fire 1

Was just going to say, Link Between Worlds is necessary playing for *ANYONE* that loved LttP. That game was very well done, and it laid the groundwork for BotW in that they gave Link all of the tools from the get-go, and you had to figure out how to use them in different combinations (instead of the traditional Zelda approach--e.g. where when you're in the hookshot dungeon, most of the puzzles are hookshot-based).

And when it comes to Zelda games, don't forget the excellent CD-i titles of yore:

zeldacdi.jpg

A few weeks ago I made it to Nintendo World in Manhattan. They had a big display honoring the Zelda series. They had all entries to the series, replica items (sword, shield, potions, ocarina), Nintendo Power from 1980s promoting either LoZ or Zelda 2, special edition systems, etc. But not one mention of the CD-I games! Naturally my girlfriend had no idea what I was talking about, nor did I care to being explaining those games. Bought a neat tin full of sour candy in the shape of original 8 bit Link.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Nintendo Switch still, Best Buy and Target have been hoarding them for this coming week. Target has Switch in their Sunday ad, not sure about Best Buy yet...but if you're looking to score one, this Sunday should be a good opportunity to do so, provided you're inclined to get to your local Target early.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Nintendo Switch still, Best Buy and Target have been hoarding them for this coming week. Target has Switch in their Sunday ad, not sure about Best Buy yet...but if you're looking to score one, this Sunday should be a good opportunity to do so, provided you're inclined to get to your local Target early.

Hey thanks I might try that. I have been everywhere looking for one.