Wife bought me a Switch for my birthday this weekend; ended up getting Mario + Rabbids and Splatoon 2. I also bought Sonic Mania. I'd recommend all three; if you like the XCom series, Mario + Rabbids is pretty much that with Mario pasted on. Pretty fun game, though. Sonic Mania is a return to the side scrolling 2-D style of games that made Sonic popular back in the day. What is interesting with it is that Sega enlisted the help of some programmers of ROMs and fan games to assist with the creation of the game. 

On 9/25/2017 at 8:29 AM, Cdog923 said:

Wife bought me a Switch for my birthday this weekend; ended up getting Mario + Rabbids and Splatoon 2. I also bought Sonic Mania. I'd recommend all three; if you like the XCom series, Mario + Rabbids is pretty much that with Mario pasted on. Pretty fun game, though. Sonic Mania is a return to the side scrolling 2-D style of games that made Sonic popular back in the day. What is interesting with it is that Sega enlisted the help of some programmers of ROMs and fan games to assist with the creation of the game. 

Congrats--if you're looking for multiplayer for Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, or anything else, give me a holler. 

Also, didn't know if folks saw, but Bethesda is porting Doom over to the Switch, and it will be out by this XMas, as well as Wolfenstein 2 (next Spring, most likely). There's also scuttlebutt about Fallout 4 being ported (likely w/o mods...but c'mon, *portable* Fallout 4) and other companies porting their wares over (e.g. SquareEnix and Final Fantasy XV). Plus the Diablo III and Overwatch to Switch rumors won't die...

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Congrats--if you're looking for multiplayer for Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, or anything else, give me a holler. 

Also, didn't know if folks saw, but Bethesda is porting Doom over to the Switch, and it will be out by this XMas, as well as Wolfenstein 2 (next Spring, most likely). There's also scuttlebutt about Fallout 4 being ported (likely w/o mods...but c'mon, *portable* Fallout 4) and other companies porting their wares over (e.g. SquareEnix and Final Fantasy XV). Plus the Diablo III and Overwatch to Switch rumors won't die...

Will do; still getting a feel for Splatoon. I'm fairly worthless unless I've got a Roller; still trying to figure out which guns I can be effective with. 

Also fighting the urge to buy BotW again rather than waiting for a price drop. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Will do; still getting a feel for Splatoon. I'm fairly worthless unless I've got a Roller; still trying to figure out which guns I can be effective with. 

Also fighting the urge to buy BotW again rather than waiting for a price drop. 

Just buy it again for the Switch and sell your WiiU copy--I got $35 bucks for it via Amazon, and considering I buy my games at Best Buy now and get 20% off any new title at any time because of their $30/2 year club, I really only paid $12 for it. 

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Just buy it again for the Switch and sell your WiiU copy--I got $35 bucks for it via Amazon, and considering I buy my games at Best Buy now and get 20% off any new title at any time because of their $30/2 year club, I really only paid $12 for it. 

I'll probably hold off until closer to the release of the second set of DLC; maybe by that time, Nintendo will let you link purchased games/DLC from your Wii U to your Switch, and I won't have to purchase it twice. 

8 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Have you turned off motion control? That's pretty key.

Could be I'm just bad, but I feel like sniper is the most difficult weapon to get good at. I prefer the Aero spray guns.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Have you turned off motion control? That's pretty key.

Could be I'm just bad, but I feel like sniper is the most difficult weapon to get good at. I prefer the Aero spray guns.

Yep; first thing I did. Getting better with the guns, but I'm hitting my stride with the roller. Wish it had a better special, though. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

@Moiraine @VectorVictor What ability types do you guys like in Splatoon? 

Haven't played in awhile so I don't remember the names.

For specials, I like the rockets you can launch at the other players wherever they are on the map. If they don't move they die.

I also like the curling things that slide forward and explode.

I don't like the rocket pack that makes you float in the air. Everyone always wants to kill people when they use it, so they usually die pretty quick.

For regular abilities, I don't know if they exist in Splatoon 2 but I liked the mines you could lay down. And suction cup bombs.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my son a Switch for his birthday. It's his first video game console, so it's been fun to watch him baby that thing and figure out how everything works. He really likes Mario Kart (as do my wife and myself) and it's been simple enough for him to follow the menus and figure things out. Also got him Lego Worlds, but after a few minutes he was really struggling with the controls and reading the instructions of what to do next - we'll have to come back to that one.

Overall, I really like the Switch, especially the parental controls and the joy-cons. His little sister was bothering him while he was playing on the main TV, so he paused, snapped the controllers on, and went to his room where she's not allowed to go. Sibling rivalry fighting minimized with no parent intervention!

• Plus1 2

Golf Story is rather good. Also, Mario Odyssey is getting 9/10s and 10/10s (Edge) so far. 

Can't believe we got Zelda BotW, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Mario all in one year. If Nintendo had just implemented a better online system, they wouldn't be on fire--they'd be a damn inferno in the video game market right now.