Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

 

Just buy it again for the Switch and sell your WiiU copy--I got $35 bucks for it via Amazon, and considering I buy my games at Best Buy now and get 20% off any new title at any time because of their $30/2 year club, I really only paid $12 for it. 

I'll probably hold off until closer to the release of the second set of DLC; maybe by that time, Nintendo will let you link purchased games/DLC from your Wii U to your Switch, and I won't have to purchase it twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Will do; still getting a feel for Splatoon. I'm fairly worthless unless I've got a Roller; still trying to figure out which guns I can be effective with.

 

 

Have you turned off motion control? That's pretty key.

Could be I'm just bad, but I feel like sniper is the most difficult weapon to get good at. I prefer the Aero spray guns.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

Have you turned off motion control? That's pretty key.

Could be I'm just bad, but I feel like sniper is the most difficult weapon to get good at. I prefer the Aero spray guns.

Yep; first thing I did. Getting better with the guns, but I'm hitting my stride with the roller. Wish it had a better special, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

@Moiraine @VectorVictor What ability types do you guys like in Splatoon? 

 

 

Haven't played in awhile so I don't remember the names.

 

For specials, I like the rockets you can launch at the other players wherever they are on the map. If they don't move they die.

 

I also like the curling things that slide forward and explode.

 

I don't like the rocket pack that makes you float in the air. Everyone always wants to kill people when they use it, so they usually die pretty quick.

 

 

For regular abilities, I don't know if they exist in Splatoon 2 but I liked the mines you could lay down. And suction cup bombs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my son a Switch for his birthday. It's his first video game console, so it's been fun to watch him baby that thing and figure out how everything works. He really likes Mario Kart (as do my wife and myself) and it's been simple enough for him to follow the menus and figure things out. Also got him Lego Worlds, but after a few minutes he was really struggling with the controls and reading the instructions of what to do next - we'll have to come back to that one.

 

Overall, I really like the Switch, especially the parental controls and the joy-cons. His little sister was bothering him while he was playing on the main TV, so he paused, snapped the controllers on, and went to his room where she's not allowed to go. Sibling rivalry fighting minimized with no parent intervention!

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf Story is rather good. Also, Mario Odyssey is getting 9/10s and 10/10s (Edge) so far. 

 

Can't believe we got Zelda BotW, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Mario all in one year. If Nintendo had just implemented a better online system, they wouldn't be on fire--they'd be a damn inferno in the video game market right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switch just got Gamecube controller support; you have to have the Wii U adapter to use them. 

 

 

I've got a particular guess as to what this means...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Switch just got Gamecube controller support; you have to have the Wii U adapter to use them. 

 

 

I've got a particular guess as to what this means...

 

I'd wager it's smashing info that we'll hear about for next spring/summer. 

 

And the 4.0.x update also introduced 30 second video capture for certain games (e.g. Zelda, Splatoon 2: Mario Kart 8).

Perfect for Super Mario Odyssey coming out this Friday.  :koolaid2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

 

I'd wager it's smashing info that we'll hear about for next spring/summer. 

 

And the 4.0.x update also introduced 30 second video capture for certain games (e.g. Zelda, Splatoon 2: Mario Kart 8).

Perfect for Super Mario Odyssey coming out this Friday.  :koolaid2:

Here's the video capture being put to use with BotW: 

https://kotaku.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-second-wind-thank-1819802965

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, Super Mario Odyssey is the second coming of Super Mario 64, it appears. Reviews have been consistently stellar. 

 

But don't take my word for it--Best Buy has demo units up with Super Mario Odyssey running on them currently.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

By the way, Super Mario Odyssey is the second coming of Super Mario 64, it appears. Reviews have been consistently stellar. 

 

But don't take my word for it--Best Buy has demo units up with Super Mario Odyssey running on them currently.

 

10 from IGN and Gamespot. Kotaku doesn't give scores anymore, but their review was glowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

 

10 from IGN and Gamespot. Kotaku doesn't give scores anymore, but their review was glowing. 

 

It's got a 98 at Metacritic right now. 

 

Well, it did until apparently the Super Mario Odyssey scores broke their site. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smash Bros. Ultimate confirmed for a December 7th release. It's got every character and every stage from the series, plus a few newbies and revamped mechanics, including Gamecube controller support (paging @VectorVictor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Smash Bros. Ultimate confirmed for a December 7th release. It's got every character and every stage from the series, plus a few newbies and revamped mechanics, including Gamecube controller support (paging @VectorVictor

 

Thanks. That's a day one purchase for sure...though I'll probably purchase it day one and wait to give it to my kids for Xmas. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

 

Thanks. That's a day one purchase for sure...though I'll probably purchase it day one and wait to give it to my kids for Xmas. :D

 

"Dad, this game has been opened before!" 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, finally found a good deal I could hop on yesterday. Got one for $246 after tax. It will be here Wednesday! PUMPED!

 

What do I need to look at getting in terms of accessories? If anybody has the Pro controller, would you recommend it?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Guys, finally found a good deal I could hop on yesterday. Got one for $246 after tax. It will be here Wednesday! PUMPED!

 

What do I need to look at getting in terms of accessories? If anybody has the Pro controller, would you recommend it?

I really like the split controller, so I wouldn't get the Pro controller, but that's just me. But you should get at least one more controller because they have to be connected to the Switch while it's charging for the controllers to charge. There's also a free app for your phone that's useful for limiting the amount of time your kids on playing but it's pretty useless otherwise. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Guys, finally found a good deal I could hop on yesterday. Got one for $246 after tax. It will be here Wednesday! PUMPED!

 

What do I need to look at getting in terms of accessories? If anybody has the Pro controller, would you recommend it?

 

The joycons themselves are small, but you get a controller shell that they slide into. The Pro controller has gotten great reviews; I've held off on buying one thus far, but will probably pick one up soon. There are also cheaper, corded variants that have gotten decent reviews, too. 

 

You might want to look into a charging stand, as well as a glass protector for the screen. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0

 

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Playstand-Nintendo-Switch-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01N9RTMWS/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_16?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0&th=1

 

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Adjustable-Charging-Stand/dp/B07D12JGBB/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_35?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

 

The joycons themselves are small, but you get a controller shell that they slide into. The Pro controller has gotten great reviews; I've held off on buying one thus far, but will probably pick one up soon. There are also cheaper, corded variants that have gotten decent reviews, too. 

 

You might want to look into a charging stand, as well as a glass protector for the screen. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0

 

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Playstand-Nintendo-Switch-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01N9RTMWS/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_16?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0&th=1

 

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Adjustable-Charging-Stand/dp/B07D12JGBB/ref=zg_bs_16227129011_35?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PMV45Y56F630ZZ44NKK0

 

I wouldn't get a charging stand different than the one that comes with the Switch - you just have the stand plugged into the TV and you're good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I wouldn't get a charging stand different than the one that comes with the Switch - you just have the stand plugged into the TV and you're good to go.

 

Those charging stands I listed are to play in tabletop mode; they're much sturdier than the kickstand that comes on the back of the unit itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally playing Mario Odyssey.

 

The creators must have been on drugs. On the current level I'm a ball of flame trying to land in squashed tomato juice in order to get a power moon.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Finally playing Mario Odyssey.

 

The creators must have been on drugs. On the current level I'm a ball of flame trying to land in squashed tomato juice in order to get a power moon.

It's based on the original game of a plumber trying to rescue a princess from an evil human-turtle hybrid by jumping on the heads of enemies, navigating a sophisticated sewer transportation system, and consuming mushrooms to grow into a giant... what exactly did you expect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's based on the original game of a plumber trying to rescue a princess from an evil human-turtle hybrid by jumping on the heads of enemies, navigating a sophisticated sewer transportation system, and consuming mushrooms to grow into a giant... what exactly did you expect?

 

 

The previous amount of drugs

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Finally playing Mario Odyssey.

 

The creators must have been on drugs. On the current level I'm a ball of flame trying to land in squashed tomato juice in order to get a power moon.

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×