Trumps Education Reform

I think the reason the government is involved is because they provided loans to the students the same way they do with all schools, and I guess in a way that means the government is validating the school. I don't know a lot of the details but I know my friend got government loans for one of these schools. When the school flat out lied and was shut down for it I have a hard time thinking the customer should be held responsible for making the mistake of attending.

You expect a business to not get away with it for as long as some of these schools did.

That said their claimed accreditation wasn't the best accreditation and I still feel guilty for not telling her to question it more.

• 2 weeks later...

Betsy DeVos & the Trump-era DOE: http://www.salon.com/2017/07/14/republicans-and-campus-rape-the-department-of-educations-bizarre-christian-right-tilt-is-no-accident/

When the New York Times reached out to Candice Jackson, a Trump appointee who heads the civil rights division at the DOE, she said that “90 percent” of campus rape accusations “fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk, we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.'” (...)

As Jackson said in an article for Federalist in 2013, women aren’t “meant or intended or designed to achieve both excellence and nurturing (e.g., career and family)”, because they are “limited” people. (...)

A lot of right-wing politicians have learned to speak elliptically about these beliefs, but the truth slips out on occasion.

:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to as far to blame Trump about this.  This seems like an idiotic bureaucratic mistake that needs to be taken care of.

Trump (DeVos) wanted to end TEACH altogether. I'm not sure what happened with all of that, but it's what they said, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely made things worse than they were under Obama.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Trump (DeVos) wanted to end TEACH altogether. I'm not sure what happened with all of that, but it's what they said, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely made things worse than they were under Obama.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.  To me though, with the information I have read, this seems like a bad bureaucratic error.  The government needs to honor promises they made to these teachers.

But....I also remember issues Trump has had with honoring promises to employees, suppliers, creditors...etc. in the past.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...

OK....I'm a little puzzled at both sides of this Lebron hoopla.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.  But, Lebron went out and started a private school funding it with his own money and giving incentives to pay for college education to the graduates.

Voss has spent her life time and time in this job promoting private schools with cheers from the right along with the President and scorn from the left.

BUT...when Lebron opens a private school and talks about it, it gets cheers from the left and scorn and ridicule from the right.

Welcome to American politics.  

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I'm a little puzzled at both sides of this Lebron hoopla.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.  But, Lebron went out and started a private school funding it with his own money and giving incentives to pay for college education to the graduates.

Voss has spent her life time and time in this job promoting private schools with cheers from the right along with the President and scorn from the left.

BUT...when Lebron opens a private school and talks about it, it gets cheers from the left and scorn and ridicule from the right.

Welcome to American politics.  

LeBron's school is part of the Akron Public School district, not private. 

https://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2018/aug/09/wannabe-entertainment/lebron-james-i-promise-school-wont-cost-taxpayers-/

"The I Promise School is a first-through-eighth grade public school that is part of the Akron Public School District.

Because it is a public school, the LeBron James Family Foundation will foot a portion of the cost, but not the entire bill."

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Fru said:

LeBron's school is part of the Akron Public School district, not private. 

https://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2018/aug/09/wannabe-entertainment/lebron-james-i-promise-school-wont-cost-taxpayers-/

"The I Promise School is a first-through-eighth grade public school that is part of the Akron Public School District.

Because it is a public school, the LeBron James Family Foundation will foot a portion of the cost, but not the entire bill."

Fair correction.  But, it's still private money being invested into a school with direct input by that person in how it will be ran.  I would think Devoss and the President would love this idea.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fair correction.  But, it's still private money being invested into a school with direct input by that person in how it will be ran.  I would think Devoss and the President would love this idea.

Yes part of the money will come from a private organization, but I believe the difference between Charter and Public is in the operations. It will still operate on the same curriculum and standard as any other public school. At least that's how I understand it. 

One would think there would be universal support for promoting education for at risk children, offering job placement and GED programs for the parents, and instituting a university scholarship program. Guess not. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just don't understand why people can't get behind both public schools AND private/charter schools or private money being invested in either one.

It seems like it gets politicized instead of people actually believing in the benefits of what can be accomplished.

As a public school teacher, I've never heard or been part of a discussion badmouthing private schools (outside of the tongue-in-cheek comments about recruiting athletes and not having the troubled kids).  But I have been part of many degrading the idea of spending tax dollars on private schools.

As far as "private" money going to help "public" schools, this happens a lot.  We have a foundation for our district, 100% privately funded that grants money for classroom activities and equipment among many other things.  "Getting politicized" would be an understatement :)

• Plus1 1