Trumps Education Reform

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

This is Trump's utter stupidity highlighted in one concise tweet.

But I suppose in Trump's detached from actual reality, mentally unstable mind, one of his dollars is "equal" to 1 billion dollars...so in actuality, the Department of Education is actually receiving more funding.  #ConservativeLogic

I think we’re served best with quality public and private schools, healthy competition between them, and parents getting to choose where to send their kids. Some time ago I read that we spend between $12k and $14k per student per year on public education. So for a class of 30 kids, that’s between $360k and $420k. Let’s say the teacher makes $40k or so. It obviously costs some money to bus kids, feed them lunch, etc. But that should be plenty of money to teach them.

In my view, the problem isn’t a lack of funding, it’s that the money isn’t spent wisely. OPS is the perfect example. How many fatcat administrators are making $100k or more, while teachers have to buy basic school supplies for their classrooms because there’s no money? 

My biggest issue with the funding of the school system is that in most places it depends on property taxes, which means the rich neighborhoods have the best-funded schools while the poor neighborhoods are the worst-funded. If we really want equality of opportunity, then this can't be allowed to continue.

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My biggest issue with the funding of the school system is that in most places it depends on property taxes, which means the rich neighborhoods have the best-funded schools while the poor neighborhoods are the worst-funded. If we really want equality of opportunity, then this can't be allowed to continue.

I think State aid formulas mitigate that to some degree. In the Omaha area, the Learning Community model is also designed to help with that. Other states have different ways of trying to address that.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think State aid formulas mitigate that to some degree. In the Omaha area, the Learning Community model is also designed to help with that. Other states have different ways of trying to address that.

That formula is absolutely totally screwed up right now to where there are school systems literally getting millions of state aid chopped while others are swimming in money.  Everyone agrees it's screwed up but nobody fixes it.

Here's an article that discusses the issues.  LINK

One issue with funding is that with the advancement of technology that our kids need to get experience in using and have access too, it has added a big amount of cost to school systems.  Education is no longer just a spiral note book and a #2 pencil.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...