What kind of projects can you do around your house?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve done it probably 6  or 7 times with no problem other than being a pain in the a$$ working under the sink.  

I bought a Waste King because that’s what the lumber yard had.  

This one has a large rubber gasket that slides on the bottom of the drain. Then, the disposal is supposed to slide up and lock onto the ring. 

Problem is, the gasket doesn’t allow the disposal to fit into the lock ring. 

I'm not sure why all the other manufacturers don't do them like Insinkerator. Other than working under the sink in an awkward position which usually sucks and gets worse with age, it can be so easy.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not sure why all the other manufacturers don't do them like Insinkerator. Other than working under the sink in an awkward position which usually sucks and gets worse with age, it can be so easy.

AGREE!!!

Well, the plumber said that the rubber gasket was just in a slightly wrong position.  I tried that damn thing in every position I could think of and couldn't get it to work.  The other design was so much easier and straight forward.  

Well, this way I was able to just have him complete the project by hooking up the drain....which I don't like doing either.

47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I've got 8 fluorescent light fixtures (two 48" T8 bulbs each) in the basement. I've been debating whether to switch to LED because disposing of the  fluorescent tubes responsibly is a PITA, but matching the correct LED bulb to the fluorescent fixture/ballast is like rocket surgery. Well, the ballasts started failing, so I bought a bunch of LED fixtures to replace them (fixed LED, no replaceable bulbs). They should have been super easy to swap out, but it turns out the existing fixtures have a knockout in a place where the new ones don't, so the existing ROMEX was about an inch too short. Long story short, took me about 3 hours (not counting several trips to the hardware store) to figure out how to position the new fixture and a new junction box in just the right spot so all the wires can be connected. The other 7 lights took me less than 2 hours after that first one was uber frustrating.

You are right, disposing of florescent tubes "responsibly" is a huge PITA. A few years ago we replaced all the bulbs in our shop with LED tubes. Had to wire bypass all of the ballasts but that wasn't terrible. Payback on the cost of the whole project was less than a year. I tried for about 2 years to dispose of the tubes correctly. All I can say now is that they're finally gone.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

You are right, disposing of florescent tubes "responsibly" is a huge PITA. A few years ago we replaced all the bulbs in our shop with LED tubes. Had to wire bypass all of the ballasts but that wasn't terrible. Payback on the cost of the whole project was less than a year. I tried for about 2 years to dispose of the tubes correctly. All I can say now is that they're finally gone.

I thought about bypassing the ballasts and using LED replacement bulbs, but fixed LED's seem to have longer light based on my internet research, so I decided to replace the entire fixture. Of course, it's a lot different when you've got a ton of fixtures in a shop.

As a resident of Broomfield county, I can take them here for free: https://www.ecocycle.org/a-zguide/light-bulbs-fluorescent-lighting

Home Depot used to take them, but they won't take the tubes anymore (but you can still get rid of CFL's there).

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Replacing an Insinkerator ... so easy, even a @Mavric can do it.

• Haha 1