What would be your response if Oklahoma and Texas join our conference

Back to the topic, the more I think about it, the more I support adding OU and UT. The move would certainly strengthen the west division and potentially balance out the conference. Much like the old Big 12 North, the Big Ten West takes a back seat to the Big Ten East - rightfully so considering that the majority of the conference's talent and prestige plays in that division.

We also would get two great rivalries back and we'd likely improve our Texas recruiting as well. Nebraska vs. Oklahoma and Nebraska vs. Texas was and would continue to be very appealing to recruits and national TV audiences. Not only would we resurrect our annual series with our greatest rival (OU) and our series with arguably out most hated foe (Texas), we also regain part of our identity. OU is fused with who we are as program. Bringing that series back would bring a new surge of energy into the program - that series means more to our fans than any other one does or likely ever will.

I understand UT wrecked its last two conferences, but I really don't think they would have as much control in the Big Ten. The conference already has equal revenue and pretty solidified academic standards. I can't see them being able to throw their weight around in the Big Ten, especially because I don't see other schools just falling in line with whatever agenda they might try to press.

I uderstand UT wrecked its last two conferences, but I really don't think they would have as much control in the Big Ten. The conference already has equal revenue and pretty solidified academic standards. I can't see them being able to throw their weight around in the Big Ten, especially because I don't see other schools just falling in line with whatever agenda they might try to press.

This is exactly why this whole discussion (at least on the UT side) is kinda silly - Texas won't join a conference where they can't just impose their will on everyone else. Have people forgotten the whole 'Exodus to the PAC' they were talking about in 2011? Texas said to them "We'll join you and bring a few other schools... you just have to let us have our own TV network." The PAC said "Aw hell naw," so Texas took their ball and went home. Literally the only reason the Big 12 still exists is because they're the only ones dumb enough to let Texas run the show.

• Fire 1

I uderstand UT wrecked its last two conferences, but I really don't think they would have as much control in the Big Ten. The conference already has equal revenue and pretty solidified academic standards. I can't see them being able to throw their weight around in the Big Ten, especially because I don't see other schools just falling in line with whatever agenda they might try to press.

This is exactly why this whole discussion (at least on the UT side) is kinda silly - Texas won't join a conference where they can't just impose their will on everyone else. Have people forgotten the whole 'Exodus to the PAC' they were talking about in 2011? Texas said to them "We'll join you and bring a few other schools... you just have to let us have our own TV network." The PAC said "Aw hell naw," so Texas took their ball and went home. Literally the only reason the Big 12 still exists is because they're the only ones dumb enough to let Texas run the show.

A lot has changed in six years though. Their network is failing and the Big 12 continues to look unsustainable. Texas could potentially opt to go independent if needed, but why not go to power 5 conference for more stable TV revenue?

A lot has changed in six years though. Their network is failing and the Big 12 continues to look unsustainable. Texas could potentially opt to go independent if needed, but why not go to power 5 conference for more stable TV revenue?

DeLoss Dodds retired, too. I still don't see a real fundamental change, though. If something were to change, I think we would at least have been hearing rumblings of it after the Big 12's failed expansion attempt. It's not like there's a lot of rumors that the Longhorn Network will become a Big 12 network or anything. I think they've decided to accept their status quo for the foreseeable future.

I'll tell you what might change their tune, though: when the Big 12 gets left out of the playoff again, and it's Texas that gets slighted. Of course, Texas has only finished ranked once in the last seven seasons...

Well...not exactly. For Texass, the network is just fine and dandy--it's ESPN that's having to carry around the fiscal dead weight of that network, and the way the contract is structured, Texass gets the remainder of their Bevo TV money owed if it's ESPN that pulls the plug.

And as for the Big XII...well, it could be sustained if they could get a GOR agreed upon. But considering you have at least two holdouts (Oklahoma and Texas) and likely a third (Kansas) preventing an extension...if two of those holdouts moved on, and the rest of the conference backfilled with directional, state, private, and/or old SWC schools to get to 12, it could continue to limp on as the weak sister of the P5 conferences and get a title game (and thus more network money).

It's not ideal, but for schools like Okie Lite and Iowa State, it's a fate better than death or going to the AAC, Mountain West, or American conference.

^ I would argue that such a conference would basically just be the next AAC. One formed from the weak remnants of the old Big East, the other from the weak remnants of the old Big 12. Calling it a better fate would be a stretch.

I would rather see the remnants of the Big 12 join the Mountain West. That's a hell of a league if you start adding Texas Tech, Iowa State, Baylor Kansas State, TCU (back again) and/or Oklahoma State.

West Virginia ends up in the ACC, why wouldn't it?

I think one big reason OU and Texas aren't happy has to do with the 4-team playoff. As the weakest power conference with no guaranteed access, they are vulnerable. Once the playoff expands (it will), OU and Texas will actually be in a better situation as the big fish in a small 10-team pond. Kind of like Nebraska and OU in the old Big 8.

I just hope the Big 12 explodes before the playoff expands. Screw them.