What would be your response if Oklahoma and Texas join our conference

Speaking of, all of the Big 8 sans Colorado was in Tornado Alley. Why is ISU the cyclones and not, say, the twisters?

I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, then moved to Hastings/Lincoln NE, and finally Norman Oklahoma ...... all Tornado Alley. Guess what? I never seen a tornado live. Lucked out huh? BTW, my age is 63 years old.

It's far from what I would call "cordial." But yeah a lot of people blame Texas for the wrong things. The big 12s current state is on the southern teams however. The first news to break was about all the southern teams joining the PAC 10. That started the whole thing, none of the other teams really had any reason to look elsewhere before that.

Untrue

Colorado was flirting with the PAC 10 since the early 80's

It didn't make sense for the PAC 10 to bring them in until Utah became good at football

Colorado and Utah were joining for sure

Baylor was never a school that the conference was interested in and because of this Texas couldn't get rid of their baggage

This smear campaign of Baylor may have something to do with Texas trying to get rid of them

Very similar to the Dave Bliss smear campaign in the early 2000's

Colorado's long term desire to move west was always known though. They weren't getting an invite without a partner though and Utah got hot at the right time. (Side note: Just think of the Mountain West as it is now a d add back in Utah, BYU and TCU.)

And if you are referring to the Baylor rape scandals, I think they kinda did that to themselves. Texas may just be able to use it to distance themselves and dump the Bears down to C-USA.

Missouri's desire to move didn't spook Nebraska. Texas, and the rest of their contingent's, backroom dealings with the Pac 10 spooked Nebraska. Nebraska feared being left behind and jumped at the opportunity to move to the Big 10. Brilliant move.

We were getting information that Tom Osborne was moving Heaven and Earth in Chicago to get Nebraska into the Big 10. But it wasn't until Mizzou balked at paying the conference fee to update the signage that Nebraska seized control. Mizzou hesitated, Nebraska wrote a check. Thus, Nebraska got the invite.

You are right about the OU/NU game. Texas had nothing to do with that and younger NU fans either haven't learned that fact or refuse to. I saw a lot of posts above praising OU when it was OU who chose UT over us. They chose to play UT every season for recruiting purposes, but left us behind. I won't forgive them for that.

Whatever the reason of cancelling the yearly game between OU-Nebraska, it was a massive mistake. The Big 12 lost a premier game and the conference couldn't afford to do that, we just didn't know it in 1996.

Why does the HQ have to be in the city with the most money? What does that accomplish? Nothing.

The entire thing is about money. The Big 10 will play the title game in Indy, but the HQ will remain in Chicago. Why? Because Chicago is the 3rd largest city in America and the amount of money in that town is too large to ignore. Proximity drives relationships, relationships drove sponsorships and sponsorships drive revenue. Again, that's all that matters.

The issue is that you guys joined our conference after yours was ruined. Many factors ruined it, and Texas wasn't an innocent bystander. UT came to us, hat in hand, and was accepted.

Cut the crap. The Big 8 couldn't get a TV deal, regardless of how successful the conference was. After SEC expansion and Big 10 expansion, the Big 8 was getting left behind in TV revenue. They needed TV sets and guess which state in your time zone had TV sets?

So, please, don't act like you did us a favor, we both did what we needed to get paid.

Then, after being let in, UT began throwing their weight around to the point where the football title game was played exclusively in Texas and the HQ was moved there for no other reason than UT wanted it that way.

Again, if you can't understand why it's better to a conference in Dallas than Kansas City, then you probably think it would be better for the Big 10 to be in Omaha instead of Chicago.

Nebraska got tired of Texas' my way or the highway attitude and hit the highway. And we're better for it. The partial qualifiers tiff had everything to do with hurting Nebraska's football team.

Nebraska lost every single vote 11-1 during the formation of the conference. Texas didn't get all 11 votes, we only got 1. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the other seven Big 8 members got tired of Nebraska and saw that the changes the conference wanted to make were the right ones? Obviously, we didn't get everything right or the conference would have survived. But again, let's not act like the entire demise of the Big 12 is due to the forces of evil in Austin. Nebraska benefitted dollar for dollar for every move that the conference made and then Nebraska got a better deal. I applaud the Huskers for it.

PFFFFT.

Ask Iowa St, KSU, KU, Ok St how they are feeling now about their 11-1 votes. No Big Red brother to cover their sorry asses when a Texas stomped all over them and forced people to start jumping ship, looking out for themselves instead of all schools at least sharing a vested interest together.

What's funny to me is not one person before this post has mentioned the Longhorn Network.

When things were falling apart TV deals and rights were seen as a possible saving grace and TexASS wanted nothing to do with it. They stubbornly stuck to their own newborn network. Not sharing a DAMN DIME with anyone on it. That forced aTm out and showed their true colors.

F Texas.

I'd take OU in, if were set up right and possibly KU or Iowa St. never Texas

PFFFFT.

Ask Iowa St, KSU, KU, Ok St how they are feeling now about their 11-1 votes.

They're probably feeling fine because their schools are making more money than they ever have, by a long shot, and none of them really have the clout or negotiating power to do any better.

Missouri's desire to move didn't spook Nebraska. Texas, and the rest of their contingent's, backroom dealings with the Pac 10 spooked Nebraska. Nebraska feared being left behind and jumped at the opportunity to move to the Big 10. Brilliant move.

We were getting information that Tom Osborne was moving Heaven and Earth in Chicago to get Nebraska into the Big 10. But it wasn't until Mizzou balked at paying the conference fee to update the signage that Nebraska seized control. Mizzou hesitated, Nebraska wrote a check. Thus, Nebraska got the invite.

You are right about the OU/NU game. Texas had nothing to do with that and younger NU fans either haven't learned that fact or refuse to. I saw a lot of posts above praising OU when it was OU who chose UT over us. They chose to play UT every season for recruiting purposes, but left us behind. I won't forgive them for that.

Whatever the reason of cancelling the yearly game between OU-Nebraska, it was a massive mistake. The Big 12 lost a premier game and the conference couldn't afford to do that, we just didn't know it in 1996.

Why does the HQ have to be in the city with the most money? What does that accomplish? Nothing.

The entire thing is about money. The Big 10 will play the title game in Indy, but the HQ will remain in Chicago. Why? Because Chicago is the 3rd largest city in America and the amount of money in that town is too large to ignore. Proximity drives relationships, relationships drove sponsorships and sponsorships drive revenue. Again, that's all that matters.

The issue is that you guys joined our conference after yours was ruined. Many factors ruined it, and Texas wasn't an innocent bystander. UT came to us, hat in hand, and was accepted.

Cut the crap. The Big 8 couldn't get a TV deal, regardless of how successful the conference was. After SEC expansion and Big 10 expansion, the Big 8 was getting left behind in TV revenue. They needed TV sets and guess which state in your time zone had TV sets?

So, please, don't act like you did us a favor, we both did what we needed to get paid.

Then, after being let in, UT began throwing their weight around to the point where the football title game was played exclusively in Texas and the HQ was moved there for no other reason than UT wanted it that way.

Again, if you can't understand why it's better to a conference in Dallas than Kansas City, then you probably think it would be better for the Big 10 to be in Omaha instead of Chicago.

Nebraska got tired of Texas' my way or the highway attitude and hit the highway. And we're better for it. The partial qualifiers tiff had everything to do with hurting Nebraska's football team.

Nebraska lost every single vote 11-1 during the formation of the conference. Texas didn't get all 11 votes, we only got 1. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, the other seven Big 8 members got tired of Nebraska and saw that the changes the conference wanted to make were the right ones? Obviously, we didn't get everything right or the conference would have survived. But again, let's not act like the entire demise of the Big 12 is due to the forces of evil in Austin. Nebraska benefitted dollar for dollar for every move that the conference made and then Nebraska got a better deal. I applaud the Huskers for it.

PFFFFT.

Ask Iowa St, KSU, KU, Ok St how they are feeling now about their 11-1 votes. No Big Red brother to cover their sorry asses when a Texas stomped all over them and forced people to start jumping ship, looking out for themselves instead of all schools at least sharing a vested interest together.

What's funny to me is not one person before this post has mentioned the Longhorn Network.

When things were falling apart TV deals and rights were seen as a possible saving grace and TexASS wanted nothing to do with it. They stubbornly stuck to their own newborn network. Not sharing a DAMN DIME with anyone on it. That forced aTm out and showed their true colors.

F Texas.

Was it Colorado jumping ship combined with the 2001 game that ended Nebraska or was it Texas

As an outsider looking in I have to say Colorado

PFFFFT.

F Texas.

Was it Colorado jumping ship to a better conference and Nebraska being left as an outsider in another conference combined with the 2001 Boulder Beatdown that ended Nebraska or was it Texas

As an outsider looking in I have to say Colorado. That game proved you were no longer a power

Right after 2001 4 seasons with 6 or more losses and one the next season

Before 2001 Nebraska had not had a losing season since 1961

PFFFFT.

F Texas.

The Longhorn Network has been brought up multiple times if you actually read the thread.

• Fire 3

Wasn't there already a cultural clash in the Big 8 prior to the Big XII

I know Colorado for sure looked down on the rest of their conference members

I remember in 2010 the general opinion out of Boulder when they left the conference was that they finally felt they were in a conference with schools like them. One of the statements I remember was that CU fans finally had a conference that they were interested in going on road trips to follow their team by trading Ames, Lincoln and Norman for LA, Bay Area and Seattle

I would say yes and no on the culture clash with Colorado.

Yes, there are a lot of Colorado Alumni throughout the Rockies and the West Coast. Yes there are a lot of Californians who have moved to Colorado, imbibing a little more west coast liberal culture in general. As it relates to sports, fans tend to be a little less die-hard, and a little more preoccupied with outdoor recreational opportunities (of which there are many). JMO.

On the other hand, There are a lot of ways in which western Nebraska and eastern Colorado are culturally identical. High Plains ranching and farming. And there is a long history in the Big 8 to remember. For example, have you ever wondered why the former Big 8 schools use backward acronyms for their schools? CU, NU, KU, MU, OU. Those schools have all done that since the 1920's and 30's. Shared history has to count for something.

Personally, (And I think a lot of Husker fans would agree) If I could set up an ideal conference for Nebraska, It would be the old Big 8 plus the western half of the Big 10. That ship has sailed, though.

• Fire 1

Was it Colorado jumping ship to a better conference and Nebraska being left as an outsider in another conference combined with the 2001 Boulder Beatdown that ended Nebraska or was it Texas

As an outsider looking in I have to say Colorado. That game proved you were no longer a power

Right after 2001 4 seasons with 6 or more losses and one the next season

Before 2001 Nebraska had not had a losing season since 1961

You are now treading in an area that has created much contentious debate among Husker fans for many years. I don't think this is a tangent that anyone on this board wants to respond to, since you obviously are only looking at wins/losses and trying to make asinine conclusions. There are many factors that have contributed to Nebraska's struggles over the last 15 years. The 2001 game in Boulder was a shock to the system, but it wasn't what "ended Nebraska" as you so eloquently put it.

• Fire 2

To be honest, most of my loathing towards Texas has nothing to do with destroying the Big XII and has everything to do with how impossible it was for us to beat them, combined with a culture clash between my humble, blue-collar sort of upbringing vs the Texas 10-gallon hat, "everything is bigger/better" bravado and general awfulness of the state's ideology.

If I remember right - there was one year when EVERY SWC football team, but one, was in some violation of NCAA rules. And Texas was the only clean team. The SWC is the only conference to have a team get the death penalty. The SEC cheating does not hold a candle to what went on in the SWC.

A lot of the perspective on this I think is Nebraskans thought that the 4 SWC teams joined the 8 Big 8 teams. Texas thought that 11 teams joined Texas to form a conference.

• Fire 3

The original plan for the B1G was to grab Nebraska, Mizzery, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas aTm (until aTm got greedy) and go to 16 as quoted in the Omaha World-Herald per one of the current day Big XII ADs that was directly involved (read: Kansas' AD or Oklahoma's AD).

For a plan of this size to be put in motion, it most likely would have to be discussed and planned well before Colorado decided to jump ship to the then PAC-10...and may have been the impetus for Colorado to bolt more than anything else.

As for leaving the Big XII...Texass had a lot to do with it. But let's not underestimate how our leadership values education and actually strives to incorporate the student in student-athlete--the current admin was willing to put up with Texass and start fighting fire with fire (see Harvey the Wonder Chancellor's poker skills at the Big XII summit and public depantsing of Texass) until the B1G came calling. And good, bad, or otherwise, DoNU genuinely wants to improve our academic cache--something that wouldn't happen in the Big XII, and something that HAS happened and will continue to happen in the B1G.

Ironically, education may be some of the reason we as a program have had problems transitioning to the 21st century in college football--when most other schools wish to play fast and loose with the definition, much to the detriment of the sport, schools, and (most importantly) athletes, Nebraska is still embracing that role (as evidenced by our graduation rates and Academic All-Americans).

As for suggesting it's Colorado and the 62-36 beatdown...nah, that's in the past. Programs have suffered worse losses and come back strong (e.g. a certain unnamed program that lost to a II-A Appalachian State at home), and that's not a reason we left. I get that you may think that, and you're welcome to your opinion, of course, but don't look for edification of that idea here, especially when it doesn't jive with history that most of us remember.

• Fire 1

To be honest, most of my loathing towards Texas has nothing to do with destroying the Big XII and has everything to do with how impossible it was for us to beat them, combined with a culture clash between my humble, blue-collar sort of upbringing vs the Texas 10-gallon hat, "everything is bigger/better" bravado and general awfulness of the state's ideology.

If I remember right - there was one year when EVERY SWC football team, but one, was in some violation of NCAA rules. And Texas was the only clean team. The SWC is the only conference to have a team get the death penalty. The SEC cheating does not hold a candle to what went on in the SWC.

A lot of the perspective on this I think is Nebraskans thought that the 4 SWC teams joined the 8 Big 8 teams. Texas thought that 11 teams joined Texas to form a conference.

No...I believe all of the SWC schools but Arkansas and Baylor were on or off probation of some sort during the 1980s and early 1990s. And back then, when you were on probation, your program wasn't on TV, so the TV money dried up for the conference.

It also didn't help that Texas Tech started ratting on other SWC schools and providing the NCAA evidence of their wrongdoing to escape strong sanctions, either. Little to no trust between the schools, and a huge gap between performance of public (aTm, Texass, Tech, Arkansas) and private (TCU, Baylor, Rice, SMU pre-cheating) also contributed to problems.

As for the SEC cheating vs. SWC cheating...the former entity looks out for their own and doesn't rat each other out, for the most part. I'd say their cheating and ways around roster restrictions (e.g. chasing off players after one season to open roster spots) is just as bad as what went on in the SWC during the 80s and 90s. The difference is, the SEC conference is helping its member schools sweep it under the rug and the schools, while they dislike each other, also don't rat on one another and keep all of the drama in-conference.

If you go through the 4 major sports

Football

Baseball

Basketball

W Basketball

Texas is the only program in the Top 20 for wins

Oklahoma is not that far either from being Top 20

If you look at secondary sports both universities provide the athletic programs this conference wishes

Texas having the 5th most national championships only trailing Penn State in this conference

Too bad we can't get them to play hockey as well but you can't always get everything

This is in combination with Texas being a Public Ivy and besides Stanford is in the forefront of microelectronic engineering

This is where the jobs are at in the research field and as you may not know Michigan is looking to change their economy for the future

My issue is that Nebraska's complaints are all conjecture

You do not know for sure what happened and why different universities voted with Texas

It seems like you are upset because you went from getting your way to having another university that did

Maybe Texas will become the new Nebraska once they join this conference and will have the hate for Michigan as you have for them

We may soon find out. Big rewards come with big risk and I am in the opinion that this conference should take the risk of allowing Texas to join