Ameer Abdullah

Grantland wrote a nice piece about Ameer. Not sure I agree about their first line in the quote, though:

Abdullah is maybe the best Nebraska running back since Mike Rozier, but last night he invoked another backfield legend. You will note that the last play in that montage is a 45-yard juke and gallop toward the end zone that sent Jets linebacker Demario Davis to Boot Hill. Let’s take a closer look at the moment Davis’s soul left his body.

There's a nice gif of his run, too:

oLLlNtc.gif

• 1 month later...

Why Lions RB Ameer Abdullah points to sky after a TD

Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press 10:42 p.m. EDT September 27, 2015

<snip>

Abdullah celebrated his first NFL touchdown in Week 1 against the San Diego Chargers by pointing up at the sky, and the rookie running back told the Free Press that he would continue with that touchdown celebration as a way to honor the memory of a young boy he met at Nebraska. Abdullah said he met D.J. Miles Jr. a few months before his second birthday during in the fall of 2012. Miles was suffering from pediatric brain cancer at the time, and his grandfather, Steve Reddick, was a big Nebraska fan.
"They could come visit me every now and then at the facility," Abdullah said. "We'd eat lunch together. We just spent some time together. … One of the few words he actually knew was Abdullah. He would say 'Dullah.' He recognized me by face, which is really, really distinct for a kid his age to recognize someone by face."
Miles passed away in 2013, but Abdullah said he still thought about the little boy, who had a big impact on his life. "I kind of play for him," Abdullah said. "I feel like his spirit, his moxie, the way he carried himself, you would never know he had pediatric brain cancer by first glance because he was always happy, always smiling.

The more layers of the onion you peel away, the more you find out about Ameer that you like and admire. :thumbs:

• Fire 4

• 1 month later...

That was sure close to a TD. I went back and looked about five times in slo-mo. Looks like his belly hits first when the ball is within a couple inches of breaking the plane. That's about as close as you can get without scoring.

First, damn good job by AA. I'm sure he's disappointed he didn't score.

Second, I know the Packers have lost their last three straight, but I'm still floored they lost to the Lions at home after the Lions had won only one game so far in the season and just fired their president.

• Mavric changed the title to Ameer Abdullah