QB Max Duggan [TCU - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

80 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Duggan commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/16/2018 at 03:25 AM

If Riley was really that concerned about "winning locally" he would have offered this kid sooner than getting dumped by Gunnel

Nah. This staff has proven they are going to go after top talent. To catch Gunner's interest they made him the only one in a two year window. Sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. At least they are making strong pushes.

Let's also not pretend like they aren't in early enough on this kid. He's a '19 and right now it's May of 2017.... Yes he has offers but no where have I seen one of those that's a leader or that we are too late. Plus even though he didn't have an offer, they've got him to campus twice with another likely for FNL.

I guess to make some people happy you have to Lane Kiffin kids and offer in 7th grade.

Pelini went after top talent too. Remember Owa? Andrus Peat? It doesn't mean anything to me to "go after top talent."

And look what good it did to tell a 2019 recruit in May of 2017 that he was going to be our only QB in a 2 year cycle. He committed to another school.

I never indicated that we were too late for Duggan. I said if Riley REALLY cares about winning local battles and getting kids in the 500 mile radius, then he would have offered sooner. Nothing with this kid has changed since his last football game this season to now.

I believe Riley has hit more than he has missed. But that doesn't exclude him from criticism when he does miss.

• Fire 1

If Riley was really that concerned about "winning locally" he would have offered this kid sooner than getting dumped by Gunnel

I don't necessarily buy that. He's a clear back-up plan, but they shot for the moon with Gunnell; he's going to be the #1 or #2 QB in next year's class. Duggan will still be a top 10-15 QB when it's said and done, though. That, and they've been in constant contact with Duggan the entire time; Langsdorf has been across the river multiple times, and Duggan has visited Lincoln as well. There was clear interest from us, but the staff was also pretty clear that Gunnell was their #1 target.

I don't necessarily buy that. He's a clear back-up plan, but they shot for the moon with Gunnell; he's going to be the #1 or #2 QB in next year's class. Duggan will still be a top 10-15 QB when it's said and done, though.

And I don't buy Riley is trying to win locally by making a top 10-15 QB 50 miles away the backup plan.

I don't necessarily buy that. He's a clear back-up plan, but they shot for the moon with Gunnell; he's going to be the #1 or #2 QB in next year's class. Duggan will still be a top 10-15 QB when it's said and done, though.

And I don't buy Riley is trying to win locally by making a top 10-15 QB 50 miles away the backup plan.

Well, like I said, the staff has been in constant contact with Duggan; Langs has visited him multiple times, and he's been in Lincoln multiple times. This case is almost "damned if you do, damned if you don't": if the staff had clear inroads with a player of Gunnell's caliber, and chose to prioritize a recruit that is closer in proximity but lower in talent, the argument would be "well, Riley's afraid to recruit the top players".

All of the tea leaves from the past few months indicate that Riley tried selling Gunnell on being the only QB we take for 2 classes: a dangerous gambit that ultimately didn't work. Now, we move onto our next choice, who happens to be from the area and whom the staff has been recruiting almost as hard as Gunnell.

Well, like I said, the staff has been in constant contact with Duggan; Langs has visited him multiple times, and he's been in Lincoln multiple times. This case is almost "damned if you do, damned if you don't": if the staff had clear inroads with a player of Gunnell's caliber, and chose to prioritize a recruit that is closer in proximity but lower in talent, the argument would be "well, Riley's afraid to recruit the top players".

All of the tea leaves from the past few months indicate that Riley tried selling Gunnell on being the only QB we take for 2 classes: a dangerous gambit that ultimately didn't work. Now, we move onto our next choice, who happens to be from the area and whom the staff has been recruiting almost as hard as Gunnell.

No one would have thought Riley was afraid to go after top players had they just offered Duggan in the first place. Like I said earlier. Riley has hit more than missed. But this, in my opinion, is several misses in one and Riley should be criticized for it.

No one would have thought Riley was afraid to go after top players had they just offered Duggan in the first place. Like I said earlier. Riley has hit more than missed. But this, in my opinion, is several misses in one and Riley should be criticized for it.

And I'm not saying he's immune from criticism, but to say he's not "trying to win locally" just because he waited to offer a kid is rather disingenuous, particularly when we have no idea the conversations that Riley and Duggan have had.

And I'm not saying he's immune from criticism, but to say he's not "trying to win locally" just because he waited to offer a kid is rather disingenuous, particularly when we have no idea the conversations that Riley and Duggan have had.

I believe it's disingenuous to suggest he is trying to win locally by making a local kid the back up plan.

Nah. This staff has proven they are going to go after top talent. To catch Gunner's interest they made him the only one in a two year window. Sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. At least they are making strong pushes.

Let's also not pretend like they aren't in early enough on this kid. He's a '19 and right now it's May of 2017.... Yes he has offers but no where have I seen one of those that's a leader or that we are too late. Plus even though he didn't have an offer, they've got him to campus twice with another likely for FNL.

I guess to make some people happy you have to Lane Kiffin kids and offer in 7th grade.

You guys know it's June right? Long weekend?
  • Fire 2

It's summer and I'm a teacher. Time no longer has meaning.

My point remains the same whether I know how to work a calendar or not

I sit at a computer all day selling stuff and listening to people talk about North Dakota and Minnesota hockey even though it's June. So discussing Huskers is my outlet to ignore them.

• Fire 1

Are you suggesting that it is better to take a kid that is a dozen spots lower because he is in the radius or are you saying that MR is not focusing on the radius as his #1 priority?

I personally think that a blend of the two are very important.

Are you suggesting that it is better to take a kid that is a dozen spots lower because he is in the radius or are you saying that MR is not focusing on the radius as his #1 priority?

I'm not saying either of those things. I am saying that offering a kid within the radius as a back up plan because you failed at getting a Texas player does not equate to "winning local recruiting battles."

I'm not saying either of those things. I am saying that offering a kid within the radius as a back up plan because you failed at getting a Texas player does not equate to "winning local recruiting battles."

That makes no sense. If Duggan becomes a Husker, then THAT is "winning local recruiting battles." Whether Riley offers another guy first or gives an uncommitable offer or whatever, are factors that can contribute to the result but are not the same as the result.

• Fire 4

If he signs with Nebraska, it most certainly does.

• Fire 1

I sit at a computer all day selling stuff and listening to people talk about North Dakota and Minnesota hockey even though it's June. So discussing Huskers is my outlet to ignore them.

My outlet as well, though I've started to enjoy it after being at Ralph e areana.

That and all Carson wentz here in Bismarck. This is my husker/home fix.

• Mavric changed the title to QB Max Duggan [TCU - Signed LOI]