Puerto Rico

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

I am not saying the US government didn't make it more difficult. However, the location does make it more difficult than a natural disaster on the US mainland.

So the location added some statistically insignificant percentage to the difficulty level. With the resources America has at its disposal, providing aid to those American citizens was not remotely beyond our capabilities. 

But the island's location wasn't the problem. The problem was entirely in the runup to the disaster and the response after.  Plans were not made. Provisions were not allocated. FEMA was wholly unprepared - and there's no reason they couldn't have been - and Trump himself mostly ignored the island and (most damning) went golfing after Maria hit.  FEMA waited weeks to bring their relief efforts up to full capacity, and then only after dozens and dozens of damning reports from the media showed the extent of the disaster.

After the fact, Trump & the Republican congress denied Puerto Rico relief funds. None of those decisions had anything to do with Puerto Rico being an island.

• Thanks 1

Jesus Christ guys, relax. @jaws is simply saying it's not as easy to get assistance to PR. You can't just park ships off the coast when a hurricane is moving through... He didn't comment on the quality or timeliness of the response, just that it isn't apples to apples when it's not on the mainland. Maybe we should compare the response to the Earth quaks in Haiti and the hurricane in PR and remember that the people in PR are US citizens deserving the government's full support.

Trump's problem is that he came out immediately and proclaimed that his government handled the biggliest and most amazing storm better than any President in the history of the universe.  They did it so goodly that it's more goodly than the world has ever seen.........

Then, the actual numbers started coming in and....as we all know....Trump NEVER back tracks or corrects himself or claims he said something he shouldn't have.

So, he has to double, triple, quadruple down on how great he did.....even though the rest of the world sees right through it.

Well....other that the Trumper Pumpers.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Jesus Christ guys, relax. @jaws is simply saying it's not as easy to get assistance to PR. You can't just park ships off the coast when a hurricane is moving through... He didn't comment on the quality or timeliness of the response, just that it isn't apples to apples when it's not on the mainland. Maybe we should compare the response to the Earth quaks in Haiti and the hurricane in PR and remember that the people in PR are US citizens deserving the government's full support.

Except you can't really do anything to prepare for a earthquake. We can see hurricanes coming days in advance. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trump's problem is that he came out immediately and proclaimed that his government handled the biggliest and most amazing storm better than any President in the history of the universe.  They did it so goodly that it's more goodly than the world has ever seen.........

Then, the actual numbers started coming in and....as we all know....Trump NEVER back tracks or corrects himself or claims he said something he shouldn't have.

So, he has to double, triple, quadruple down on how great he did.....even though the rest of the world sees right through it.

Well....other that the Trumper Pumpers.

What I don’t understand is how anyone can trust someone whose every word is hyperbole. I think there’s a better word for how Trump speaks that I heard the other day but I can’t think of it. But Trump is always the best at everything no matter how absurd. E.g. He’s the least racist person in the universe. No one respects women more than Trump. He cares more about the environment than anyone else, etc. How does a normal person trust someone like that?

Out of everything, the most confusing thing is why he appeals to normal people. He’s a wealthy New Yorker. He probably never stepped foot in a small midwestern or southern town before 2016.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

If that's all he's saying he spent a lot of time saying it. And if that's the entirety of his point, it's moot, because we could have gotten assistance to Puerto Rico reasonably easily if we had actually planned to do it.

I have no idea why it's controversial to say that the response was s#!te and to hold the administration accountable for that.

3,000 people died. "It's an island" isn't a relevant argument.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If that's all he's saying he spent a lot of time saying it. And if that's the entirety of his point, it's moot, because we could have gotten assistance to Puerto Rico reasonably easily if we had actually planned to do it.

I have no idea why it's controversial to say that the response was s#!te and to hold the administration accountable for that.

3,000 people died. "It's an island" isn't a relevant argument.

Did anybody here say it was controversial or that the criticism was unwarranted? I don't see why it's so controversial to point out that it's a little more difficult to get relief to an Island, and realize that it still doesn't absolve anyone of doing an all around s#!tty job.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Did anybody here say it was controversial or that the criticism was unwarranted? I don't see why it's so controversial to point out that it's a little more difficult to get relief to an Island, and realize that it still doesn't absolve anyone of doing an all around s#!tty job.

Dude. Read the thread. The conversation played out and I'm not going to relitigate it here.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If that's all he's saying he spent a lot of time saying it. 

1 post was a lot of time? The rest of the post were comments after you kept putting words in my mouth. 

Since you have all the answers, please volunteer at a NGO that provides assistance in PR. I am sure they could use your help. 

• Plus1 3