Puerto Rico

Well, would their Congressmen be Democrats or Republicans? That will help decide this.

Neither? Their governor and delegate to congress are both members of the New Progressive Party.

That sounds like something Republicans would like less than Democrats.

Well, would their Congressmen be Democrats or Republicans? That will help decide this.

Neither? Their governor and delegate to congress are both members of the New Progressive Party.

That sounds like something Republicans would like less than Democrats.

it's amazing that Trump hasn't declared war on puerto rico yet based on the new progressive party

• 6 months later...

Ahhh, got it. I guess I mean more generally, with this whole disaster and recovery and all the missteps. It's been revealing in the sense that we see how "optional" we regard this, how "not really America". A lot of that isn't just Trump, it's how issues like this are covered in the press like it's an abstract disaster in a far-off land happening to other people. Kudos to The Intercept, by the way, for being just the kind of outlet to make a goal of not being part of that problem. To be fair, I don't think they cover things from an American perspective at all, so maybe it comes naturally.

Everything I read about PR is dismal. Like, look at these obstacles:

The path to any economic recovery from Puerto Rico will ultimately run through its ability to rebuild a functional energy grid — a future all too unlikely amid austerity and deregulation.

This just wouldn't happen if we, Americans, from the government down to the press to the people, felt like this was ... say, Hilton Head Island, or Martha's Vineyard, or Hawaii.

• Plus1 1
  • 7 months later...