LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It definitely feels like a rivalry at this point. There is a lot of animosity on both sides and I think everyone here agrees that something needs to click on our side because they shouldn't be able to run us over.

That said, they can't even come close to competing recruiting wise. At some point, I'd like to think this will no longer be a "rivalry." No matter how good of a season Iowa is having, Nebraska should win close to 75% of the time where they occasionally hit us with the right balance of upper-classmen + a good QB.

We are on the right path, but still a couple years away from being the class of the division. Once that happens, I hope that the Ohio States and Michigans hate us enough to have a rivalry. It seems like Ohio State coaches and fans had us on the radar last year with some of the recruiting battles. That's where it starts.

It's probably best that we do win the recruiting battles because otherwise they would beat us worse than they already are.

• Fire 1

The geography isn't arbitrary and it affects almost the entire state considering over 80% of Nebraska's population lives within 60 miles of Iowa.

And it also affects expats too, considering I am one.

And there is no reason Wisconsin shouldn't be looked at as a rival as well. There is no law against having more than one.

You are literally bitching about a team 300 yards away from our border that is on the same competitive level as NU not being a rival because of what? A Hyvee trophy? You are just wrong. There are no goalposts getting moved.

Do you agree or disagree with the trophy being stupid?

And you were wrong then and are wrong now.

Except for the manufactured trophy part

Remember less than an hour ago when you wrote this?

You can try to reduce the argument down as much as you want, get as mad online as you want, and it's not going to change anything. You want a rival, you want that to be Iowa, fine. But don't get ass ache when people don't agree with you.

• Fire 2

By the true definition of the word we are rivals... but the rivalries that most of Nebraska fans embrace are the ones that took years of meaningful games to build. Maybe 20 years from now we will think differently but for most old school fans Iowa just isn't there yet.

They don't WANT Iowa to be there. But reality shows WE aren't "there" yet.

The geography isn't arbitrary and it affects almost the entire state considering over 80% of Nebraska's population lives within 60 miles of Iowa.

And it also affects expats too, considering I am one.

And there is no reason Wisconsin shouldn't be looked at as a rival as well. There is no law against having more than one.

You are literally bitching about a team 300 yards away from our border that is on the same competitive level as NU not being a rival because of what? A Hyvee trophy? You are just wrong. There are no goalposts getting moved.

Do you agree or disagree with the trophy being stupid?

And you were wrong then and are wrong now.

Except for the manufactured trophy part

Remember less than an hour ago when you wrote this?

You can try to reduce the argument down as much as you want, get as mad online as you want, and it's not going to change anything. You want a rival, you want that to be Iowa, fine. But don't get ass ache when people don't agree with you.

The trophy is stupid. But that has nothing to do with Iowa not being a rival.

And I'm not mad. I couldn't care less about who, if anyone, is our rival in the B1G. But I can at least accept when there is one. Remember, I'm not the one that went off on this to start. So check your own butthurt.

• Fire 3

And I'm not mad. I couldn't care less about who, if anyone, is our rival in the B1G. But I can at least accept when there is one. Remember, I'm not the one that went off on this to start. So check your own butthurt.

The problem is that people are still attached to the archaic idea of a rival. Iowa is no more important to Nebraska's success than Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois...

How many times has the path to the Big Ten Championship Game gone through the Iowa game?

A rivalry doesn't have to rely on a championship though. Wisconsin doesn't care about us, because they've owned us. They beat us, and shrug.

However, it can be as simple as hating it when you lose to those guys. And for alot of people, that seems to be "we've never won anything of importance" Iowa.

The problem is that people are still attached to the archaic idea of a rival. Iowa is no more important to Nebraska's success than Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois...

How many times has the path to the Big Ten Championship Game gone through the Iowa game?

The path to the CCG for Nebraska has nothing to do with having or beating a rival.

Rivalry, by definition, is competition between 2 groups for superiority in the same field.

• Fire 2

A rivalry doesn't have to rely on a championship though. Wisconsin doesn't care about us, because they've owned us. They beat us, and shrug.

However, it can be as simple as hating it when you lose to those guys. And for alot of people, that seems to be "we've never won anything of importance" Iowa.

Yep...

Hate is usually what makes a rival...

Losing to Iowa SUCKS...losing to Illinois or Purdue is just shocking...there is a difference.

• Fire 1

So Arkansas State is our rival.

Talk about moving goalposts...

Is this what can be expected from you once you've realized the only good point you've made about this discussion is the trophy is dumb?

Think, don't get mad and react.

Rivalry, by definition, is competition between 2 groups for superiority in the same field.

If this is your definition of a "rival," then Arkansas State is a rival.

• Plus1 1

So Arkansas State is our rival.

Talk about moving goalposts...

Is this what can be expected from you once you've realized the only good point you've made about this discussion is the trophy is dumb?

Think, don't get mad and react.

If this is your definition of a "rival," then Arkansas State is a rival.

Knapp you know damn well what i am referring to. Don't act dumb. It just makes you look worse than you do right now.

• Fire 4

My opinion is my opinion, and you're not affecting it, or my feelings, in any way. You think differently than I do, is all.

There is absolutely no reason to get "heated" because this is a nothing topic. I'm not sure why this would make a person "heated," but I can't help it if they get that way.

I don't care if you think my opinions are wrong. I'm interested in the conversation.

• Fire 1