LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And you are entitled to your opinion of my opinion. But you'd be wrong too.

Don't know how to quote this properly, but St.Paul you have echoed this sentiment throughout this thread so do not give me that bs "I haven't said anyone else is wrong". YOU hold your opinion as fact and anyone who doesn't see it your way is wrong. You've said as much to me and El Diaco that I have seen. Don't give me that "we'll I technically didn't call him wrong, I said knapp was wrong and he agreed with knapp" crap. It's just that, crap. You hold an opinion that Iowa is a rival. That is fine. But not everyone does. In fact, most people don't. So until most people do consider Iowa a rival, you can keep your opinion to yourself because it is not the law of the land and most people don't feel the way you do. Sorry , but you don't need to be an a-hole just because your opinion is less popular than you thought it would be.

• Fire 2

To me, the bigger name rival is Wisconsin. There is a lot of natural reasons why they are a decent rival for us. We have historically had more success, but, they have had more success recently. They have won the conference AND have kept us from winning it. Their program was built by an ex-Husker who built it using our model. To me, I get way more pumped up for that game than Iowa.

However, just because Wisconsin is a bigger rival (in my eyes) doesn't take away from the fact that Iowa is also a rival.

A program can have multiple rivals of varying degrees.

Except Wiscy fans don't see Nebraska as a rival unlike how some Nebraska fans see Wiscy as one.

• Fire 1

My experience with Wisconsin fans is different than that.

They definitely know we are a major program they need to beat (even though they have done it decisively since we joined). Even before we joined the BiG, us being the real Big Red bugged the hell out of them.

in fact, I believe one of the main reasons why they jumped to such a big lead in beat downs of us early in our conference residence is because they took us very serious as a major program they wanted to make a major statement against. We didn't do the same and looked down on them.

I have no clue if they would verbally claim we are their rival, but, it's clear when you talk to them that our game is a big game on their schedule. I just wish our program took them as serious when we first joined.

Don't know how to quote this properly, but St.Paul you have echoed this sentiment throughout this thread so do not give me that bs "I haven't said anyone else is wrong". YOU hold your opinion as fact and anyone who doesn't see it your way is wrong. You've said as much to me and El Diaco that I have seen. Don't give me that "we'll I technically didn't call him wrong, I said knapp was wrong and he agreed with knapp" crap. It's just that, crap. You hold an opinion that Iowa is a rival. That is fine. But not everyone does. In fact, most people don't. So until most people do consider Iowa a rival, you can keep your opinion to yourself because it is not the law of the land and most people don't feel the way you do. Sorry , but you don't need to be an a-hole just because your opinion is less popular than you thought it would be.

Did you just tell someone on a message board to keep their opinion to themselves? After ridiculing them about disagreeing with someone else's opinion?

That's funny.

• Fire 2

Did you just tell someone on a message board to keep their opinion to themselves? After ridiculing them about disagreeing with someone else's opinion?

That's funny.

Not sure if you are missing my point on purpose or you sincerely don't get it, but either way I've said all I've needed to already.

I think that it is interesting that people of different ages will have different views on which teams are elite, or blue bloods, etc. or which teams are "above" others.

it wouldn't be too hard to quantify this by "weighting" a season's W/L percent by the number of Americans alive today that would have remembered it (age 7-death).

The end result would be a sliding scale with the most recent seven seasons weighed the highest, tapering down to about 60 years ago (1957)....

Maybe I'll make a spreadsheet. I need another hobby....

• Fire 1

Different ages don't consider different teams bluebloods. Anyone that pays attention from 6th grade to age 60 knows NU/Bama/OU/USC/Texas/Michigan/OSU/PSU/ND/LSU are the bluebloods, with some debate about schools like FSU/Miami/Georgia, but that's about it.

Different people will have different opinions on who's elite based off of what year it is and recent success more than age. Michigan State was elite until they won like 2 games or whatever it was last season.

Different ages don't consider different teams bluebloods. Anyone that pays attention from 6th grade to age 60 knows NU/Bama/OU/USC/Texas/Michigan/OSU/PSU/ND/LSU are the bluebloods, with some debate about schools like FSU/Miami/Georgia, but that's about it.

Different people will have different opinions on who's elite based off of what year it is and recent success more than age. Michigan State was elite until they won like 2 games or whatever it was last season.

I strongly disagree. Your age should and does affect which teams you consider "elite" or "blue bloods" because both terms are subjectively defined and not static.

If you took a survey of 7 to 18 year olds in America on which teams are blue bloods I doubt Nebraska would Crack the top ten of that list.

• Fire 1

Nebraska fans aren't big on rivalries. We've only every had one rival that was universally accepted, and once that was over most fans weren't worried about having another one.

Nebraska fans aren't snobs, we're benignly inwardly focused. We love our team, and the only way other teams impose on our psyche is when we lose to them. Otherwise we're content to focus on our players, our coaches, to the point where, in a 70-10 blowout, the stands are full because we all want to see the third string Left Guard play.

It's not "we're better than them," it's that we don't care about them.

I strongly disagree. Your age should and does affect which teams you consider "elite" or "blue bloods" because both terms are subjectively defined and not static.

If you took a survey of 7 to 18 year olds in America on which teams are blue bloods I doubt Nebraska would Crack the top ten of that list.

I disagree. A blueblood team is just that regardless of your age. Elite is a whole separate category.