LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the thing. I don't look at the last 4 games of the schedule and think "Ah man, can't wait to trounce them Hawkeyes". I actually think "Is this one of those years where we cruise to a boring win or one of those years we come out flat and let an inferior team beat us"

Swap Iowa and Penn State around right now. Schedule INSTANTLY looks more fun. A season finale on the road against what many expect to be a high win PSU squad. Hell, I'll be frank, Penn state could be 5-6 going into that one and Iowa could be 11-0 and I would STILL be more interested in Nebraska vs Penn State if I'm just channel surfing.

Iowa is not a sexy name. Nebraska isn't as sexy as it used to be, but people STILL think football when they think Nebraska. That's why we don't want them. It's not wins and losses, it's not geography, it's not even 2 years of letdowns. It's us craving a big name, a sexy name, to finish out the year with. It's us wanting our name in the conversation with other sexy names every year at the end of the year. Iowa will never be that name.

We haven't had that since 1995. And even then, Oklahoma was in a death spiral.

Over two decades, hence some fans desire to see a rivalry with a big name team.

Just like Sam said. Some Husker fans think some teams are beneath us for rivalry purposes. Even when they are kicking in our teeth

I'm talking big picture, you're more interested in focusing on last years outcome. That's cool.

The big picture is that Iowa is beating us in more than just football.

• Fire 1

Well that's why everyone gets to have their own opinion. You don't seem to like it when people disagree with yours. I agree with Enhanced and knapp on this one. I do not view Iowa as any kind of rival. Sure, lately we've struggled with them on the field and I hate losing to them but the same can be said for many other teams. Animosity towards a fanbase doesn't make it a rivalry. IMO there have to be some games of significance involved before any serious rivalry talk should ensue. That just hasn't been the case in this series.

If you want to consider Iowa as our rival, good for you, enjoy it. Don't demand that everyone else needs to feel the same way.

Yeah. no one is forcing anyone to do anything with regards to their feelings towards another team. So i think you can relax.

But animosity towards a fanbase definitely factors into a rivalry

I'm perfectly relaxed. I'm not the one telling other people they are wrong and claiming as fact that Iowa is a rival. The poll results (17 yes & 25 no) should be enough to indicate that not everyone agrees with your assessment.

This is exactly what I would expect someone to say about a team that has been kicking our ass in just about everything the last couple of years.

And you were wrong then and are wrong now.

Except for the manufactured trophy part

You're wrong in thinking that they aren't a rival because it hasn't taken on some sort of "organic" growth over time. The fact is you and several other husker fans can't come to terms with the idea that Nebraska isn't better than Iowa at anything right now. And so you come up with these "corporate" excuses that are lame.

Face it. Nebraska and Iowa a rivals. They are geographically, they are competitively, they are philosohically(sports-wise).

The trophy is stupid. But that has nothing to do with Iowa not being a rival.

And I'm not mad. I couldn't care less about who, if anyone, is our rival in the B1G. But I can at least accept when there is one. Remember, I'm not the one that went off on this to start. So check your own butthurt.

Talk about moving goalposts...

Is this what can be expected from you once you've realized the only good point you've made about this discussion is the trophy is dumb?

Calm down.

You have a problem with people telling you, and ultimately showing you that some of your opinions are misguided. Then you try to bait them into a heated exchange. Then you tell THEM to calm down.

Funny.

I don't have a problem if others want to view it as a rivalry. I have a little bit of a problem with people telling others their opinions are misguided because they don't agree with your's. However, it appears you have an issue with people who don't view it as a rivalry....but we're the ones that need to relax???

Sorry, I don't live in close proximity to any Iowa fans. If I did maybe I would feel differently. When I did, we owned them and beat them like redheaded step children. Kicking our ass for the last few years doesn't mean anything to me, other than I don't like it. Hell, there is a whole list of teams that could be said about. I don't feel short term, lopsided results are any indication of a rivalry. I also don't think pre WWII history influences many people's thinking on the subject. We may just have different criteria for what constitutes a rivalry. I happen to feel any real rivalry requires some games of significance for at least one of the teams involved. Part of the reason why I don't feel we currently have a rival is precisely because Nebraska football has been insignificant since about 2001. I find it tough to get too upset over losing a few to Iowa when there are so many other teams that have done the same or worse to us. This matchup has not been instrumental in one division or conference championship since we joined the B1G. For me it's just another opponent we need to quit sucking against.

You went through a lot of work to show that Knapp is wrong. And a poll on a message board means dick.

LOL.

25 people hereabouts are wrong because you say they are. LOL.

How was knapp wrong? Because he doesn't feel it's a rivalry? I guess that makes me wrong too.

I'll be sure to ask for your permission before I form any other opinions. :facepalm:

I believe Knapps reasons for it not to be considered a rivalry are wrong. Except for the trophy part. If you agree with his reasons, then I think you're wrong too.

I don't see where you need my permission to form an opinion no more than I need your permission to form mine.

And you put so much stock into this message board poll. You need a hobby or something.

Except you are going around calling everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion wrong and vehemently defending your opinion. Guess what, I think your opinion is wrong and that you should go get a hobby, how about that?
  • Fire 2

I have fought this long enough. I will just start saying Iowa is our rival until eventually I believe that it's true.

ETA on that occurring...............not sure if I have any idea.

Eventually Iowa/Nebraska will almost certainly become a rivalry accepted by both schools. At this point it isn't, but we've only been conference mates for six years.

It'll happen, everyone will be happy, and nobody will need a hobby anymore. Not just a win/win, but a win/win/win.

• Fire 2

Wisconsin feels the same way about us as many in this thread feel about Iowa, except that we are even more of an afterthought to them.

I don't doubt that.

...and your point is?

There are teams who may actually come to be our rivals and there are various teams people would prefer were rivalry games.

I don't feel we currently have an actual rival in football. If I had my druthers, I would prefer when we actually do have one that it was Wisconsin.

I don't really care who ends up being our rival, I just want us playing consistently well enough for us to be able to develop a real one.

I don't feel Iowa qualifies yet, just like I don't feel Wisconsin or any other team does yet.

Of course people would like it to be a better program than Iowa. I mean how many people are longing for a rivalry with Purdue or Indiana? It's not a difficult concept. We want to be relevant and we want a worthy rival. Iowa doesn't do it for me and I don't care if they've owned us a few times recently or not. When they pop up and cost us a division or conference crown or somehow ruin a season or two then I might change my mind. That is no fault of theirs (except that they, like us, are also fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme), it is more a commentary on the state of our football program.

And although it may matter to some, I couldn't care less about sports outside of football and possibly volleyball. Hell, by that definition, wouldn't everyone would be our rival in basketball? One team sucking at life doesn't make a rivalry. That's why nobody in the 402/308 felt Colorado was a rival until the late 80's early 90's, then some feelings changed. They cemented their position forever with me in 2001. I will always take more joy from beating or pain from losing to the buffs than any other team I can think of. Oklahoma is another simply due to all the times the conference was on the line in our season ending game and particularly because of the numerous times Sooner magic ruined our season. Iowa doesn't even begin to register anywhere near that level and I doubt they ever will. They haven't ruined sh#t for us, they've just beaten us like so many other teams have recently. I sense the potential for developing that level of animosity with Wisconsin though.

• Fire 1

I have fought this long enough. I will just start saying Iowa is our rival until eventually I believe that it's true.

ETA on that occurring...............not sure if I have any idea.

Eventually Iowa/Nebraska will almost certainly become a rivalry accepted by both schools. At this point it isn't, but we've only been conference mates for six years.

It'll happen, everyone will be happy, and nobody will need a hobby anymore. Not just a win/win, but a win/win/win.

I googled hobby just so I could find one. Apparently I need one.

Well that's why everyone gets to have their own opinion. You don't seem to like it when people disagree with yours. I agree with Enhanced and knapp on this one. I do not view Iowa as any kind of rival. Sure, lately we've struggled with them on the field and I hate losing to them but the same can be said for many other teams. Animosity towards a fanbase doesn't make it a rivalry. IMO there have to be some games of significance involved before any serious rivalry talk should ensue. That just hasn't been the case in this series.

If you want to consider Iowa as our rival, good for you, enjoy it. Don't demand that everyone else needs to feel the same way.

Yeah. no one is forcing anyone to do anything with regards to their feelings towards another team. So i think you can relax.

I'm perfectly relaxed. I'm not the one telling other people they are wrong and claiming as fact that Iowa is a rival. The poll results (17 yes & 25 no) should be enough to indicate that not everyone agrees with your assessment.

This is exactly what I would expect someone to say about a team that has been kicking our ass in just about everything the last couple of years.

You're wrong in thinking that they aren't a rival because it hasn't taken on some sort of "organic" growth over time. The fact is you and several other husker fans can't come to terms with the idea that Nebraska isn't better than Iowa at anything right now. And so you come up with these "corporate" excuses that are lame.

Face it. Nebraska and Iowa a rivals. They are geographically, they are competitively, they are philosohically(sports-wise).

And I'm not mad. I couldn't care less about who, if anyone, is our rival in the B1G. But I can at least accept when there is one. Remember, I'm not the one that went off on this to start. So check your own butthurt.

Is this what can be expected from you once you've realized the only good point you've made about this discussion is the trophy is dumb?

Calm down.

You have a problem with people telling you, and ultimately showing you that some of your opinions are misguided. Then you try to bait them into a heated exchange. Then you tell THEM to calm down.

Funny.

I don't have a problem if others want to view it as a rivalry. I have a little bit of a problem with people telling others their opinions are misguided because they don't agree with your's. However, it appears you have an issue with people who don't view it as a rivalry....but we're the ones that need to relax???

Sorry, I don't live in close proximity to any Iowa fans. If I did maybe I would feel differently. When I did, we owned them and beat them like redheaded step children. Kicking our ass for the last few years doesn't mean anything to me, other than I don't like it. Hell, there is a whole list of teams that could be said about. I don't feel short term, lopsided results are any indication of a rivalry. I also don't think pre WWII history influences many people's thinking on the subject. We may just have different criteria for what constitutes a rivalry. I happen to feel any real rivalry requires some games of significance for at least one of the teams involved. Part of the reason why I don't feel we currently have a rival is precisely because Nebraska football has been insignificant since about 2001. I find it tough to get too upset over losing a few to Iowa when there are so many other teams that have done the same or worse to us. This matchup has not been instrumental in one division or conference championship since we joined the B1G. For me it's just another opponent we need to quit sucking against.

You went through a lot of work to show that Knapp is wrong. And a poll on a message board means dick.

LOL.

How was knapp wrong? Because he doesn't feel it's a rivalry? I guess that makes me wrong too.

I'll be sure to ask for your permission before I form any other opinions. :facepalm:

I believe Knapps reasons for it not to be considered a rivalry are wrong. Except for the trophy part. If you agree with his reasons, then I think you're wrong too.

I don't see where you need my permission to form an opinion no more than I need your permission to form mine.

And you put so much stock into this message board poll. You need a hobby or something.

Except you are going around calling everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion wrong and vehemently defending your opinion. Guess what, I think your opinion is wrong and that you should go get a hobby, how about that?

I don't believe I told anyone they are wrong except Knapp.

And you are entitled to your opinion of my opinion. But you'd be wrong too.

• Fire 1

Calm down.

Funny.

LOL.

lol ok dude, that is just not true. You can say, that is not the opinion I hold, but you are saying anyone who doesn't hold your opinion is wrong. Therefore you are holding your opinion as fact. Which it is not and in fact you are the wrong one as far as this board is concerned. You called El Diaco wrong too so there ya are, wrong again. I wouldn't have a problem with your opinion, but you just have to go around being an arse about it and telling everyone who doesn't agree with you they are wrong, just like you did in the post I'm replying to this second.
  • Fire 3

It's not about being elitist. It's not about 'little brother' comments etc.

It's about overall series wins. If it were more even, there might be a rivalry. Until then, this is all that needs to be posted: http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/iowa

^^^^ This right here is correct. The only reason it isn't more lopsided is that Iowa didn't face NU much between 1984 - 2010.

We lead the series 8-4 over the past 40 years and 5-3 over the past 20 years. Again it would be much worse if we would have played them multiple times between 1985 and 2010 ( there would have been a couple years in the early 2000's that they would have had a chance however even then it would have been a coin flip).

Says it's about series wins.

Notes that the series has been pretty even over the lifetime of the people who can actually do something about it on the field.

Got it.

Also, I will be dreaming of the day when we can be considered as good of a football program as Minnesota. Since they've owned the overall series against us, that obviously makes them the better team.

And it's a good thing we don't have to play Pitt very often. They're obviously an incredibly better football program than we are.

Bingo!

Bingo? No one is claiming a rivalry with Minnesota...if you bring them into the argument, you've shown what was posted to be true. One sided series do not make a rivalry.

Nope.

I am agreeing with Mav on the fact that it is a bit ridiculous that we are saying our lopsided record against Iowa should be reason for there not to be a rivalry, mainly because this lopsidedness occurred in the 1940's and earlier. With history guiding our decisions and argument, we still need to consider Minnesota a powerhouse.

Calm down.

Funny.

LOL.

Have you been drinking....excessively?

• Fire 3

lol ok dude, that is just not true. You can say, that is not the opinion I hold, but you are saying anyone who doesn't hold your opinion is wrong. Therefore you are holding your opinion as fact. Which it is not and in fact you are the wrong one as far as this board is concerned. You called El Diaco wrong too so there ya are, wrong again. I wouldn't have a problem with your opinion, but you just have to go around being an arse about it and telling everyone who doesn't agree with you they are wrong, just like you did in the post I'm replying to this second.

I have literally only told Knapp he is wrong. I told Enhance that I disagree with him.

So, you would be wrong.

• Fire 1

Have you been drinking....excessively?

Define excessively with regards to drinking

I think you just did :lol:

• Fire 1