LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Christ folks, some people will think they are a rival and some people will think they aren't. There is no right answer, it is a personal opinion. Mostly the younger generation will think Iowa and Wisconsin (even if they don't reciprocate it at the moment) are our rivals. Just like they thought Colorado was our rival (I am in that camp). The older fans will argue until they are blue in the face that OU is our only rival.

I'd be happy never playing Iowa again, if it meant the end of that god-awful corporate monstrosity of a trophy and any talk of a "rivalry" that has been crammed down our throats.

Those of us who don't live near Iowa don't give a rat's ass about Iowa, their fans, any "rivalry," none of it.

This is fueled by the few people who live near each other, the Big Ten who wants to incorporate Nebraska into their tradition of rivalries, and the media who love to have something to talk about in the middle of a long offseason.

Screw Iowa, screw rivalries, and screw corporate-sponsored artificiality. Let the game grow and become something. Don't force it.

This is exactly what I would expect someone to say about a team that has been kicking our ass in just about everything the last couple of years.

I said it before we played our first game in the Big Ten, and I've said it every year since. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And you were wrong then and are wrong now.

Except for the manufactured trophy part

Nope. I'm talking about Iowa. You're talking about me.

Stop. Focus.

• Fire 1

I'd be happy never playing Iowa again, if it meant the end of that god-awful corporate monstrosity of a trophy and any talk of a "rivalry" that has been crammed down our throats.

Those of us who don't live near Iowa don't give a rat's ass about Iowa, their fans, any "rivalry," none of it.

This is fueled by the few people who live near each other, the Big Ten who wants to incorporate Nebraska into their tradition of rivalries, and the media who love to have something to talk about in the middle of a long offseason.

Screw Iowa, screw rivalries, and screw corporate-sponsored artificiality. Let the game grow and become something. Don't force it.

This is exactly what I would expect someone to say about a team that has been kicking our ass in just about everything the last couple of years.

I said it before we played our first game in the Big Ten, and I've said it every year since. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stop. Focus.

I'd be happy never playing Iowa again

Those of us who don't live near Iowa don't give a rat's ass about Iowa,

Don't worry. I'm dialed in.

• Fire 2

The trophy is worthless garbage.

The game means more than other games to many on both sides of the state line. Call it a rivalry or don't, I don't care, but I know Nebraska fans cheer Iowa misfortune more often and more passionately than they cheer for misfortune to any other B1G program, and vice versa. Usually, that's the sort of thing that other rivals do.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The trophy is worthless garbage.

The game means more than other games to many on both sides of the state line. Call it a rivalry or don't, I don't care, but I know Nebraska fans cheer Iowa misfortune more often and more passionately than they cheer for misfortune to any other B1G program, and vice versa. Usually, that's the sort of thing that other rivals do.

^^^ This.

Alabama could be 11-0 with the division won, Auburn could be 0-11. Both teams are going to fight tooth and nail to kick the crap out of eachother.

That cannot yet be said about the Nebraska vs Iowa game, we saw clearly how much effort our team put into that debacle. Over time maybe it develops into one when Wisconsin regresses and the game actually has a divisional title on the line. For it to get the proper spark, the game has to have some serious implications like it did in 2015, their perfect season was on the line and we played better but still lost. Had we won, maybe this series would have gotten that spark.

And yes the trophy is stupid.

• Fire 1

The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Iowa is a "rival" in the sense that they're in our division, there's dislike between the fan bases and the games have an impact on divisional standings. Geography helps, to a degree.

However, in my opinion, it's an insignificant rivalry that's been heavily influenced by a corporate/conference desires to have a rivalry. It's inorganic. It's like calling American cheese... "cheese." Husker and Hawkeye fans have been treating each other like crap for decades, long before we had yearly games. That dislike doesn't make them rivals, in my opinion. Rivals need to be built on the field, not in the neighborhood bar.

• Fire 1

Iowa is a "rival" in the sense that they're in our division, there's dislike between the fan bases and the games have an impact on divisional standings. Geography helps, to a degree.

However, in my opinion, it's an insignificant rivalry that's been heavily influenced by a corporate/conference desires to have a rivalry. It's inorganic. It's like calling American cheese... "cheese." Husker and Hawkeye fans have been treating each other like crap for decades, long before we had yearly games. That dislike doesn't make them rivals, in my opinion. Rivals need to be built on the field, not in the neighborhood bar.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. My apologies for triggering the Pronoun Police.

Alabama could be 11-0 with the division won, Auburn could be 0-11. Both teams are going to fight tooth and nail to kick the crap out of eachother.

That cannot yet be said about the Nebraska vs Iowa game, we saw clearly how much effort our team put into that debacle. Over time maybe it develops into one when Wisconsin regresses and the game actually has a divisional title on the line. For it to get the proper spark, the game has to have some serious implications like it did in 2015, their perfect season was on the line and we played better but still lost. Had we won, maybe this series would have gotten that spark.

Our players better start thinking its a rivalry if that's the case bc this is a terrible excuse. Iowa kicks our ass bc they treat it like a rivalry and we don't.

• Fire 1

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say but I disagree here. Aside from the corporate sponsorship. Which I hate but at least it's for a good cause.

The rivalry has been built organically (in a bar) for decades. And now we get to put our money where our mouths are and prove it on the field, court, diamond. THAT is a rivalry in every sense of the word.

• Fire 1

Our players better start thinking its a rivalry if that's the case bc this is a terrible excuse. Iowa kicks our ass bc they treat it like a rivalry and we don't.

On the list of reasons Nebraska has lost to Iowa recently, the players not treating it like a rivalry is so far down the list it is essentially inconsequential.

Stop. Focus.

This isn't the P&R forum, come on man.

• Fire 3