QB Logan Gray

hello, I love how things ebb & flow - 3 days ago, the sky was falling when NU missed out on a 6', juco qb, who on film seemed to throw every pass as a 5-yrd out to his rb, & then yesterday, the #13 rated qb, visits NU unofficially

p.s. logan gray rated higher than forcier, lee, garcia, fanuzzi, & munns

2nd p.s. sc signed smelley last yr, & have garcia as their top target this yr, & tn signed stephans last yr (a&m kind of scares me, because they are just as needy as NU is to sign a good qb, & both missed on that opportunity last yr - yet, a&m is pushing for burns as heavily as they are for gray - so, there is a plus for NU)

3rd p.s he also has offers from a&m, cal, & aub (& sit as med interest w/ NU)

hello, I love how things ebb & flow - 3 days ago, the sky was falling when NU missed out on a 6', juco qb, who on film seemed to throw every pass as a 5-yrd out to his rb, & then yesterday, the #13 rated qb, visits NU unofficially

p.s. logan gray rated higher than forcier, lee, garcia, fanuzzi, & munns

2nd p.s. sc signed smelley last yr, & have garcia as their top target this yr, & tn signed stephans last yr (a&m kind of scares me, because they are just as needy as NU is to sign a good qb, & both missed on that opportunity last yr - yet, a&m is pushing for burns as heavily as they are for gray - so, there is a plus for NU)

3rd p.s he also has offers from a&m, cal, & aub (& sit as med interest w/ NU)

It's much easier for some to panic and look at who is "gone" than to look at who might possibly still be out there. :restore2

There are still alot of QB's available and I think that we will get a good one this year.

I still dont think that it is a must, do or die, situation this year. Next year yes and my hand will be hovering over the panic button this time next year if we have not gotten any verbals by then

Part of a article from the Journal Star about QB recruiting:

Remember the name Logan Gray.

Yes, Logan Shane Gray of Columbia, Mo. He’s apparently moved atop the list of quarterbacks whom Nebraska is pursuing for its 2007 recruiting class. The Huskers will encounter resistance in this battle because Gray also is considering Georgia, Florida, California and Auburn.

“Those five stick out,” Gray said Tuesday.

Missouri?

“They have a lot of quarterbacks, and I kind of want to get away from home for college — but not too far away,” said the 6-foot-2, 175-pound Gray, who possesses 4.45-second speed in the 40-yard dash and heaved 25 touchdown passes with 10 picks last season.

Away from home but not too far away......is there a school who currently is seeking a QB that is situated in the midwest and not to far away from Gray's hometown??? If you guess Doane, you are correct!

Full text of the article:

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/0...bb675499613.txt

From the LJS article:

As a result, recruiting “gurus” — analysts who know this stuff so well it scares me — are worrying for Nebraska. One such fellow said Tuesday the Huskers’ quarterback recruiting situation has reached the “dire” stage. Dire? In June?

Well, he explained, many elite quarterbacks already have committed to schools and several others are poised to pull the trigger. Too few of the latter have Nebraska on their short lists, he said.

Yeah, I'm the only one worried about our QB situation....

From the LJS article:

As a result, recruiting “gurus” — analysts who know this stuff so well it scares me — are worrying for Nebraska. One such fellow said Tuesday the Huskers’ quarterback recruiting situation has reached the “dire” stage. Dire? In June?

Well, he explained, many elite quarterbacks already have committed to schools and several others are poised to pull the trigger. Too few of the latter have Nebraska on their short lists, he said.

The only one here.

OMG!!!1! Time to panic, some boner on espn.com said so! :sarcasm

From the LJS article:

The only one here.

OMG!!!1! Time to panic, some boner on espn.com said so! :sarcasm

Good grief. Get real. There is a reason all the top programs are after these kids - they are the top players at the position. And like it or not, the list of highly-rated QBs is getting awfully short. And as for those who are still open - we don't figure too prominently on their lists. Do the math.

Could some hidden gem slip through the cracks? Sure. Could some stud decommit and come to Lincoln instead? Sure. But I'd rather not rely on those happenings, if you don't mind.

Logan Gray seems our last best hope for a top-rated QB. Let's hope we get him.

But you go ahead and enjoy Chase Stengel...

what i find quite funny is that when we were running the greatest offense of all time (option) :sarcasm so what's the big worry now? Not too many kids are leaving to go far away from home. none of you complainers were worried about landing a top qb recruit, and now your like "omg, if we don't land a :star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star QB we're f**ked!" stop your worries ANYTHING can happen, and i'm sure it will. Who cares if we don't land a 5 :star recruit at qb, as long as he is comfortable and knows the system, that's what i'm worried about, even if AR or ETR knew the system and they commited i'd be happy. Take a chill pill, have a beer, smoke some crack, whatever you do to relax yourself...EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

*sorry for the rambling*

p.s. there is nothing wrong with Chase Stengel, he seems to be a decent player, didn't he perform in the top 3 kids at the camp? THINK, RESEARCH, AND CHECK YOUR RESOURCES BEFORE YOU POST.

what i find quite funny is that when we were running the greatest offense of all time (option) :sarcasm so what's the big worry now? Not too many kids are leaving to go far away from home. none of you complainers were worried about landing a top qb recruit, and now your like "omg, if we don't land a :star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star:star QB we're f**ked!" stop your worries ANYTHING can happen, and i'm sure it will. Who cares if we don't land a 5 :star recruit at qb, as long as he is comfortable and knows the system, that's what i'm worried about, even if AR or ETR knew the system and they commited i'd be happy. Take a chill pill, have a beer, smoke some crack, whatever you do to relax yourself...EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

*sorry for the rambling*

p.s. there is nothing wrong with Chase Stengel, he seems to be a decent player, didn't he perform in the top 3 kids at the camp? THINK, RESEARCH, AND CHECK YOUR RESOURCES BEFORE YOU POST.

All the while, the odds are on my side...

Sure, Stengel could be the sh#t. I just don't think a kid who is 5'11" at best, with average (at best) arm strength is what we need.

And I will heartily beg to differ with your comment that as long as the recruit knows the system, we'll be fine. Are you SERIOUS???? Go take a look at depth charts of NFL teams. Filled with backup QBs who know the systems backwards and forwards, but don't have the TALENT!!

No offense to AR or ETR, but I could care less if they knew the offense better than BC himself. They likely don't have the ability to execute. So spare me with this garbage that we just need some system QB, and all will be fine.

Like I said, we may get Gray (chances look OK - maybe 30%?). We may find a diamond in the rough (unlikely). We may cause some kid to change his mind (unlikely). But I'm not hanging my hat on that. We are really thin at the QB position. Beck is a HUGE unknown, while Ganz is what he is.

The funny and unfortunate thing about this debate is the fact that we really won't know the answer to the question of whether we are in trouble until 2008. By that time, we'll know if Beck could cut it and whether we actually recruited anyone of consequence.

But in the mean time, all the top prospects go elsewhere, and we still got nothin. And that ain't good.

Unless you think Chase Stengel really is a D-I championship-caliber QB in the making. In which case, be at ease...

Good grief.  Get real.  There is a reason all the top programs are after these kids - they are the top players at the position.  And like it or not, the list of highly-rated QBs is getting awfully short.  And as for those who are still open - we don't figure too prominently on their lists.  Do the math.

Could some hidden gem slip through the cracks?  Sure.  Could some stud decommit and come to Lincoln instead?  Sure.  But I'd rather not rely on those happenings, if you don't mind. 

Logan Gray seems our last best hope for a top-rated QB.  Let's hope we get him.

Pal, I am being real. Look at the last 2 years as prime examples of what can happen in recruiting. Callahan comes in and lands Beck, one of the premier QB prospects in the country. Highly regarded, yadda yadda. We haven't seen much out of him so far. Zac Taylor gets signed on as a safety net/possible back up. Look what he is doing now. Last year Nebraska had one of the top QB prospects in the nation all but signed, sealed and delivered and he had a change of heart. Those scenarios happen ALL THE TIME. Forgive me for not dumping a load in my shorts when a qb crosses off NU on his list...FOR NOW. I am not a skittish person.

Yes, there are those kids that are studs coming out of high school that are going to go into college and continue to improve. But, for every one of those there is a Ron Pawlus. How many Zac Taylor type stories are out there? Tons. The diamond that just needs the right polish to twinkle. This coaching staff has an eye for talent, and like I stated above, I am not ready to panic because some boner with an internet column says so.

Logan Gray does sound like a nice prospect. I wouldn't mind seeing him come to Nebraska if all things work out. Time, is our ally here. It may appear that we are behind, but there is plenty of time left. It's time to panic come mid-late January and no good QB prospects are looking at NU. Quite frankly, I don't see it happening.

But you go ahead and enjoy Chase Stengel...

Why are you slighting a guy you obviously know jack squat about? He might end up being an all conference QB. Who knows! West Coast qb's don't traditionally have to have cannons. It helps, but it isn't the end all be all. If Callahan thinks that he is a good prospect, all we can do as fans is trust his judgement of prospects and let him develop them.

it's not about who has the biggest cannon for an arm, it's about how he reads the defense, his progressions, and his pricision on his passes. I'm not saying having a super arm is a bad thing, i'm just saying that MAYBE just maybe accuracy is a little more important. You can have a huge arm but if you don't have accuracy it don't mean squat, i'd take 5-10 yard completions over 40-50 yard incompletions/interceptions anyday. The AR/ETR comment was thrown in for humor, you must not have picked that up. I don't feel like getting into a pissing contest with ya' i'm just giving my input, i'm sorry if i offended you in anyway. It's just passion, and i think all of you know what thats' like :thumbs