Meyers Drafted by Astros

I'll go the other way and say it stinks, for both parties. Meyers is NU's best player, and can only get drafted in the 14th round? Probably could have improved upon that next year.

On the other hand, what does it say about the program that its best player is willing to forgo eligibility for a 14th round spot and $125,000?

I'll go the other way and say it stinks, for both parties. Meyers is NU's best player, and can only get drafted in the 14th round? Probably could have improved upon that next year.

On the other hand, what does it say about the program that its best player is willing to forgo eligibility for a 14th round spot and $125,000?

Most baseball players don't improve themselves by coming back for their senior year. It just doesn't happen. It's nothing like the NFL draft. Most of the guys being drafted by the MLB draft are college juniors and high school seniors. Meyers wasn't going to make himself into a higher round draft choice, so he wasn't going to make a lot more $ by coming back.

I don't blame him for leaving, but this stinks for the program. Losing these seniors to be like Pat Kelly, Boldt, Meyers, etc. doesn't help Erstad build a team with stronger depth and senior leadership.

Do you guys know how college baseball works? Erstad should be using these as an example of how he is able to bring guys in and get them drafted after their junior years. If you are staying until your senior year, you are an average college baseball player.

• Fire 1

I don't blame him for leaving, but this stinks for the program. Losing these seniors to be like Pat Kelly, Boldt, Meyers, etc. doesn't help Erstad build a team with stronger depth and senior leadership.

Do you guys know how college baseball works? Erstad should be using these as an example of how he is able to bring guys in and get them drafted after their junior years. If you are staying until your senior year, you are an average college baseball player.

That's all well and fine, but not at all the point of my comment. Not to mention, some of these guys are just average ball players.

That's all well and fine, but not at all the point of my comment. Not to mention, some of these guys are just average ball players.

I agree that the team should be building stronger depth, but I disagree with your senior leadership comment. You can have plenty of leadership from sophomores and juniors. The team just needs better players (who would then be drafted and leave after their junior years).

Most baseball players don't improve themselves by coming back for their senior year. It just doesn't happen. It's nothing like the NFL draft. Most of the guys being drafted by the MLB draft are college juniors and high school seniors. Meyers wasn't going to make himself into a higher round draft choice, so he wasn't going to make a lot more $ by coming back.

Seniors also lose a bargaining chip. They can't dangle going back to or going to college as a way to get a bigger bonus that the juniors or High School Seniors can.

Seniors also lose a bargaining chip. They can't dangle going back to or going to college as a way to get a bigger bonus that the juniors or High School Seniors can.

Great point. The bonuses are mostly slotted these days, but they can use this bargaining chip to get some extra cash.

• 4 years later...