Mavric

OLB Garrett Nelson [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Garrett Nelson
Hometown: Scottsbluff, Nebraska
School: Scottsbluff
Position: Linebacker, Defensvie End
Height: 6-3
Weight: 243
40 time:
Offers: Nebraska
Visits: 6/16/17 - Friday Night Lights; 6/23/17 - Friday Night Lights; 10/9/17 vs. Wisconsin; 6/22/18 - Friday Night Lights; 9/29/18 vs. Purdue

O8n7o.png

Twitter

247 Composite: #529 Overall; #41 WDE; .8738; :star :star :star

Rivals: #30 WDE; :star:star:star 
247: #44 WDE; :star:star:star 
ESPN: :star:star:star 

Hudl

This kid really likes Wisconsin. I believe it will be between us and them in the long run. Still have a while for that but it will be interesting to see how it plays out, I like our chances over them for now.

• Upvote 1

This kid really likes Wisconsin. I believe it will be between us and them in the long run. Still have a while for that but it will be interesting to see how it plays out, I like our chances over them for now.

Where are you seeing this? Not saying you're wrong but I've seen quotes about him and Nebraska that make that hard to believe.

Where are you seeing this? Not saying you're wrong but I've seen quotes about him and Nebraska that make that hard to believe.

Like how his dad wrestled at NU and he started to tear up when he was offered? Yeah doesn't seem like a Wisconsin fan.

A guy I know talked to his dad and his dad told him he really liked Wisconsin.

This was before the Husker offer, so just know down the road it may be between us and them. We still get him in my opinion.

Like how his dad wrestled at NU and he started to tear up when he was offered? Yeah doesn't seem like a Wisconsin fan.

Apparently Garrett camped at Wisconsin and his dad told a guy I know he liked Wisconsin. That was before he got an offer from Nebraska. He just never told any media guys yet and might not have to if his son is a Husker soon.

He will be a Husker just giving out info that I was told. Also he has no Wisconsin offer as of now just to clarify things.

Nice pick up!

Since he's not rated, what rating do you think he deserves? (According to 247 rating system).

I'd rate him around an 88, with potential to improve.

Just ran into a couple from Scottsbluff doing touristy stuff in Chicago today. They mentioned this kid to me but I didn't recognize the name. Cool!

“When things get tough and I’m tired, I just think about playing in that stadium and 90,000 people yelling for my team and being friends with people on the team and jumping around and screaming and being a bunch of psychos, and I can’t wait,” Nelson said last week before he officially committed.

Nelson likes Wisconsin, too — he went to a football camp there, and his favorite players include former Badgers J.J. and T.J. Watt — but Nebraska is his dad’s alma mater. Nebraska is the team that, in the spring, sent offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh to Scottsbluff on a recruiting visit. A Husker coach hadn’t visited in several years, and Scottsbluff, a Class B basketball power, isn’t known for its football prowess — yet.

“When any Nebraska coach comes to our area, it’s a buzz in our community, but to have a football coach come out to the high school, there was definitely a buzz,” said Chris Nelson, who wrestled at Nebraska from 1988 to 1992. “It was exciting for Garrett.”

OWH

This guys video of him at the first FNL was impressive. Looked very quick high motor and was jogging from spot to spot which showed a lot of effort. I think he will be a good one looks like he's big and tall and fast. I would also say he's got a good work ethic, because holy cow! Welcome Garrett

He did like Wisconsin and I was right about that.

He ended up a Husker like I said and am right about that.

Welcome Garrett! He will come in and work hard for his state and his team. GBR!

We are all just so proud of you!

• Plus1 1

We are all just so proud of you!

Thanks! I like to give great inside to the board for others to see. When I post things I do not make things up that is one thing I stray away from so I can be trusted. Unlike Clouse who just says sources at the end of his post like "sources say" to get clicks.

• Upvote 1

Nice work Matty
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Is this another solid Nebraska native who should be playing OL? 

Baker Steinkuhler and Mick Stoltenberg come to mind 

At 6'3 240 I'm thinking probably not. To be fair though he's still early in his junior year so it's not inconceivable to think he'd get to the size we'd need him to be for OL. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

At 6'3 240 I'm thinking probably not. To be fair though he's still early in his junior year so it's not inconceivable to think he'd get to the size we'd need him to be for OL. 

Will Farniok is 6'3 260...Agree he doesn't quite have the frame, but I think this could be fixed. He may even go on to be a great defensive player, but it seems the past 15 years we turn these kids into DL when their most potential was probably OL 

16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Will Farniok is 6'3 260...Agree he doesn't quite have the frame, but I think this could be fixed. He may even go on to be a great defensive player, but it seems the past 15 years we turn these kids into DL when their most potential was probably OL 

That's a good point! It'd be interesting to see what that athleticism could do up front with a bit more weight.

Both Steinkuhler and Stoltenberg asked to play DL.  If they wanted to stay on the OL, I imagine that is where they would have played. 

@MoMo Husker, more so for him for me ... just because of playing in Nebraska at what looks like a lot of slower/smaller guys.  FYI, I don't disagree with your point.  I really like this recruit and think he will bring some nice leadership in time.

11 hours ago, BigRedN said:

@MoMo Husker, more so for him for me ... just because of playing in Nebraska at what looks like a lot of slower/smaller guys.  FYI, I don't disagree with your point.  I really like this recruit and think he will bring some nice leadership in time.

He must have held his own going against good competition at FN to get an executable offer.

1 hour ago, Wordek said:

Am local and he's having a less than stellar year. Not producing the kind of domination you'd want to see against nebraska highschool opponents.

Also have heard more info about coaches putting in other players stats as his to protect his offer and reputation. 

Interesting in that Clouse watched him Friday and came away with a completely different take then that.