2018 5* Matt Corral QB De-Commits from USC, Open To All Offers

Call me crazy (actually, call me cynical) ... but in my mind Bookie is more likely to decommit and not be a Husker before signing day then he is to be secretly luring this 5* QB recruit to the Huskers.  I'm with @C N Red on his "optimism" regarding recruiting ... we've drank a lot of RED kool-aid over the years.  What experience has taught us is that the new :bigredn: tradition is to lose key games late and to have enough blowouts to miss out on the top recruits on our board.  That's how it has gone for us.  This year, you have to throw in the whole saga of MR's AD getting fired and already losing to UNI and what appears to be the impending implosion of this season and Husker Nation. 

All that to say, I'm just cynical at this point.  Although I love Bookie as a player and I'm glad he is a :bigredn: commit ... I'll wait for the dust to settle and see where we are come Signing Day.  Oh ... and by the way ... I hate what I just wrote.  Hate feeling this way, hate thinking this way. 

I'm like the Grinch ... "Hate, hate hate ... double hate ... LOOOOATHE  ENTIRELY!!!!  

I'm so bummed that this is where we are this season.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Riley also followed Liz Corral (mother) 

Edit-- Clouse also said on Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday to keep an eye out for Corral as a target. Said NU and him have maintained contact since he committed to UF. 

Corral is "tied closely" to a ton of west coast guys including Jalen Hall

Nate Clouse, though. 

• Plus1 3

Red Five, 

You beat me to it.  I have followed recruiting fairly heavily recently.  But, when our HC is on such a hot seat with the very real possibility that he will be gone at the end of the season, I have a hard time getting excited about these story lines.

Yes, this is all great.  I love the thought of all these players playing for Nebraska.  But, if the season goes as it very well could, it's a very real possibility there will be a change at the end of the year.....which nullifies almost all of these possibilities.

Honest question:

Say we have a top 15 recruiting class heading into Iowa game. Say we go 7-5.

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

B) Waiting to can Riley until after NSD

C) Giving him another year

D) Convincing him to retire with a buyout before Spring Ball.

If we have a talented class, we must find a way to get them here.

The season is only 1/3 of the way over.  So, there is a lot to play out.  However, some crazy things would have to happen for him to still be there in January.  

Now, if he some how miraculously gets to 8 or 9 wins and at that point he has commitments from all of these players plus some and has an amazing class put together......that would go a long ways to saving his job.  But, if we win 7 or less and we are still sitting with a class in the 30s nationally for worse.......the writing is on the wall.

Another big change that would go a long ways is a change at offensive coordinator.  What if he fires Langsdorf in the next couple weeks and the offense starts looking a lot better with him calling the plays?

12 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Honest question:

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

C.

• Plus1 1

(Sorry this is long and rambling but lots in my head)

I think we have to give MR another year.. HAVE to... as long as he fires Langsdorf and most likely Reggie Davis and maybe Cav. And trust me, all 3 would understand why.. 

Think about this.. All our recruits and current players seem to love Diaco, Donte, Bray, Parella and company. Not to mention we have coach dub taking care of our WR's and he is one of the best WR coaches in the nation..  If we fire MR, most likely they clean house. That means killing off all the progress we've made on the defensive side of the ball. I know, I know, we lost to No. Ill and gave up 42 to Oregon in the first half but this defense and defensive staff is good and making strides in the right direction. These kids have had less than a year to learn how to play the 3-4 so I have a hard time just throwing that out the window.. I do have a really good feeling about that side of the ball as we get deeper into B1G play. (I do smell an upset or 2)

The other reason to keep MR, injuries... Just having Chris Jones on D the first few games I almost guarantee we are 3-1 if not 4-0 right now. Not to mention the WR, O-line, and RB issues. I know Lee hasn't been the savior at QB but all more the reason to give MR 1 more year so we can see what Lee, Gebbia or POB can really do in this system.

As mentioned above, there is a ton of football to play... MR needs to have a top 20-25 recruiting class and go at least 6-6 but compete with the top programs (or go 7-5) and win a bowl game to even have a chance at keeping his job.. The new AD will be a big part of this as well.. (side note: I truly hope it's not Trev but that's just me.. I want someone that understands our traditions but doesn't want to live in the past. This isn't the 90's and we need to look toward the future.) 

I'm not giving up on MR just yet but he needs to get JAY CUTLER, I mean Tanner Lee, under control and teach him how to read a damn defense. Trust the Process and Trust MR.. at least for 1 more year

• Plus1 5
35 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Honest question:

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

B would piss A LOT of players and recruits off.  Don't do B.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Honest question:

Are you:

A) Canning Riley

247 currently has us at 38 in the rankings. Seems rather unlikely that we move up 23+ spots in the next two months - especially since Riley is sitting on a throne of liquid hot magma.