Current Staff as Recruiters

Only Bray seems to have proved his worth coaching and recruiting (LB recruiting has been great, capped by Roberts last year, and the development from the unit as a whole has been wonderful to see. The depth we have at LB now is staggering compared to what it was 2 years ago).

Not gonna lie, I was actually surprised when I looked at the LB recruits we've gotten since Bray got here. I always thought he was a pretty good recruiter but I'm not sure exactly. Roberts definitely. But after him, who's the second-best recruit Bray has pulled in?

I think Quayshon Alexander will be there. But ultimately he has a lot of guys on the come. He did get credit for Dedrick Young, too

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Mo Barry

Ty Ferguson

A lot of young bucks

Obviously we'll have to see how the guys turn out. But Alexander was kind of an upper-middle three-star. Which is kind of my point - he has really only pulled in one guy that is fairly highly ranked. My own impression was that he was one of our best recruiters - and he may be - but the actual guys he's gotten haven't been that highly ranked.

He really shouldn't get credit for Young - he was committed before Bray was hired.

Domann was a mid-level three-star. Simmons was a mid-level three-star. He didn't have much time to work on the Class of 2015 but Barry and Ferguson were low three-stars.

Only Bray seems to have proved his worth coaching and recruiting (LB recruiting has been great, capped by Roberts last year, and the development from the unit as a whole has been wonderful to see. The depth we have at LB now is staggering compared to what it was 2 years ago).

Not gonna lie, I was actually surprised when I looked at the LB recruits we've gotten since Bray got here. I always thought he was a pretty good recruiter but I'm not sure exactly. Roberts definitely. But after him, who's the second-best recruit Bray has pulled in?

I think Quayshon Alexander will be there. But ultimately he has a lot of guys on the come. He did get credit for Dedrick Young, too

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Mo Barry

Ty Ferguson

A lot of young bucks

Obviously we'll have to see how the guys turn out. But Alexander was kind of an upper-middle three-star. Which is kind of my point - he has really only pulled in one guy that is fairly highly ranked. My own impression was that he was one of our best recruiters - and he may be - but the actual guys he's gotten haven't been that highly ranked.

He really shouldn't get credit for Young - he was committed before Bray was hired.

Domann was a mid-level three-star. Simmons was a mid-level three-star. He didn't have much time to work on the Class of 2015 but Barry and Ferguson were low three-stars.

I agree he shouldn't get credit for Young. But Bray was hired about 7-8 days before Young committed. FWIW

Can we be sold on anyone from this staff so far then? What player did they recruit outright that has been a huge contributor right from the start?

I sure can, by looking at the consistent caliber of recruits and the caliber of programs we are beating out for said recruits. I'm sold on Dwill, KWill, and Langs.

Cav has 10 commits with an average ranking of .8783. That's pretty solid. Especially considering he's on his 3rd recruiting cycle and is only allowed about 2 max commits this year.
If you subtract out Raridon and Brokop who committed to the previous staff months before Cav was in the picture the average drops to 86.93.

The last two classes (This year and last year) you have 5 of his lowest 6 recruits at Neb and only two rated above his "average" at Neb. Like I said, when does a trend just become the norm?

Edit: For comparison Wisconsin's average since the time Cav got here is 88.61. Nearly a full 2 points higher.

• Fire 1

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Mo Barry

Ty Ferguson

A lot of young bucks

I agree he shouldn't get credit for Young. But Bray was hired about 7-8 days before Young committed. FWIW

Publicly

My worry that has built basically since Farniok is we aren't getting the higher ranked mixture guys. We've chased a few, but can't close. Last year we filled the class with what we hope are underrated, and not appropriately rated, guys. I am worried this class appears to be following the same trajectory, at what point does that trend just become the norm?

True, and that is a valid concern.

One frustration that I have noticed over the years of following recruiting. For some reason, it appears to me that O linemen are less likely to commit to some place a long way from home. Now, it may be I'm wrong about that, but it sure seems that way.

So, we have got to build our line predominantly with players within that 500 mile radius. Well....players aren't going to be as highly rated in those areas as if they were sitting in Texas or Florida and being seen by recruiting experts every Friday night. That's why you will see teams like Wisconsin and Iowa have pretty dang good OLines with players that weren't 5 and 4 star players.

O line coaches have got to many times have that sixth sense of being able to tell if some kid has the potential to be good long before he is actually that good. That is a very tough job and partly why you need to have so many O linemen in your system at any given time.

Bottom line is that Cav needs to have his unit have a good year this year. He has more depth (on paper anyway) as any Husker line in a long time. He has a QB that can help the line with his passing. He has been here three years now to develop them. This unit needs to start jelling and making a name for themselves.

This post seems to hit in so many ways - I believe if we can get more high 4* players at the skilled positions (as we are starting to see in this class) we can reduce the depth at those positions and add a couple extra oline and dline recruits each season. This should essentially play out similar to the 80's when we could bring in quality walk on's and see which ones would rise to the top.

My worry that has built basically since Farniok is we aren't getting the higher ranked mixture guys. We've chased a few, but can't close. Last year we filled the class with what we hope are underrated, and not appropriately rated, guys. I am worried this class appears to be following the same trajectory, at what point does that trend just become the norm?

True, and that is a valid concern.

One frustration that I have noticed over the years of following recruiting. For some reason, it appears to me that O linemen are less likely to commit to some place a long way from home. Now, it may be I'm wrong about that, but it sure seems that way.

So, we have got to build our line predominantly with players within that 500 mile radius. Well....players aren't going to be as highly rated in those areas as if they were sitting in Texas or Florida and being seen by recruiting experts every Friday night. That's why you will see teams like Wisconsin and Iowa have pretty dang good OLines with players that weren't 5 and 4 star players.

O line coaches have got to many times have that sixth sense of being able to tell if some kid has the potential to be good long before he is actually that good. That is a very tough job and partly why you need to have so many O linemen in your system at any given time.

Bottom line is that Cav needs to have his unit have a good year this year. He has more depth (on paper anyway) as any Husker line in a long time. He has a QB that can help the line with his passing. He has been here three years now to develop them. This unit needs to start jelling and making a name for themselves.

This post seems to hit in so many ways - I believe if we can get more high 4* players at the skilled positions (as we are starting to see in this class) we can reduce the depth at those positions and add a couple extra oline and dline recruits each season. This should essentially play out similar to the 80's when we could bring in quality walk on's and see which ones would rise to the top.

That would seem to be backwards of the way to do it - especially in the B1G - but OK.