Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Taking Leave of Absence from Huskers

What exactly did Sr. put on social media about this besides what Red Five posted? He's the parent and has been in a similar situation. It was KJJ's birthday a couple days ago and we don't know the whole story. Let Sr. do what he feels is best for his son.

he's tweeted nothing other than that one tweet

We have a parent doing his job, disciplining a gifted athlete, that has been given every opportunity his whole life. Dad expects more of him, appears demands more of him. Many of these young men would benefit from a father figure like him. I have always liked the man, watched him basically beat Northwestern in the Rose Bowl. He walks the walk and talks the talk. My guess is this actually helps others that are not quite pulling their fair share.

Proud of Nebraska and Keyshawn senior in how this is being handled. Responsibility being taught, and taught the hard way. Do it right or you aren't going to do it at all.

I would imagine Jr. is a pretty good kid, got away from Dad and got a little wild. Hope he gets his ducks in line and turns into what all of us want from him and most of all what his Dad wants from him and for him.

• Fire 5

I know this doesn't pertain to every kid that comes from wealthy and famous parents, but in the past few years P-Diddy's and Snoop Dogg's sons both quit college football after being high profile recruits, and now there are red flags with Keyshawn Jr. They may not have the hunger and desire to do the necessary work to excel in the game.

snoop dogg's son was more of a personal choice as he wanted to focus on things other than football at ucla, where this sounds like (at least at this moment from the little info we have) dad's not happy with jr and is pulling him out until he can show that he's responsible enough to be given a second chance.
Yes there are differences, but there are similarities, too. Honestly I would be surprised if KJJ ever contributes on the field in a Husker uniform.

I've thought this from the day he committed

I tend to agree with both of you. I seriously doubt he will return, but him playing football here is not really that important. Getting himself together is far more important. His father taking such drastic actions indicates he thinks he needs stronger supervision. Unfortunately, kids that age go one way or the other. He will do what is expected or will rebel and only get worse. We all need to grow up, some do it the right way and some do it the hard way. Some never do.

But if he plays here or not, Nebraska is better for its time with Keyshawn senior involved. Positives are what are important, and he gave a lot of positives to Nebraska.

I find it odd the general consensus on here is that he won't return. I think if Jr. ever plays a down of D1 football it will be here. We obviously have the Riley connection to his dad and many of his friends are here. The only way I see him not returning is if he no longer wants to play football. I could see this as it does not seem like football is near as important to him as his dad. I was worried about this when he came here as it seemed like he enjoyed the celebrity status more than football.

I know this doesn't pertain to every kid that comes from wealthy and famous parents, but in the past few years P-Diddy's and Snoop Dogg's sons both quit college football after being high profile recruits, and now there are red flags with Keyshawn Jr. They may not have the hunger and desire to do the necessary work to excel in the game.

snoop dogg's son was more of a personal choice as he wanted to focus on things other than football at ucla, where this sounds like (at least at this moment from the little info we have) dad's not happy with jr and is pulling him out until he can show that he's responsible enough to be given a second chance.
Yes there are differences, but there are similarities, too. Honestly I would be surprised if KJJ ever contributes on the field in a Husker uniform.

I've thought this from the day he committed

Congrats?

• Fire 1

I find it odd the general consensus on here is that he won't return. I think if Jr. ever plays a down of D1 football it will be here. We obviously have the Riley connection to his dad and many of his friends are here. The only way I see him not returning is if he no longer wants to play football. I could see this as it does not seem like football is near as important to him as his dad. I was worried about this when he came here as it seemed like he enjoyed the celebrity status more than football.

I actually think he will.

Humiliating your 18 year old kid to everyone on twitter is... bad. I don't see how he's being protected from anything here.

I don't think this is going to send shockwaves through the recruit parent world either.

I am leaning towards agreeing. Who was Sr's speech directed to? The rhetoric sounds like good parenting but not saying it directly to your son, and only your son, is weird.

• Fire 1

I've thought hoped this from the day he committed

FIFY

Humiliating your 18 year old kid to everyone on twitter is... bad. I don't see how he's being protected from anything here.

I don't think this is going to send shockwaves through the recruit parent world either.

I am leaning towards agreeing. Who was Sr's speech directed to? The rhetoric sounds like good parenting but not saying it directly to your son, and only your son, is weird.

Can you imagine the outcry/rumors from fans if a player like KJJ was suddenly off the team with no explanation? Much better to get out in front of it like Sr. did IMO

• Fire 2

Can you imagine the outcry/rumors from fans if a player like KJJ was suddenly off the team with no explanation? Much better to get out in front of it like Sr. did IMO

And also we have no idea what was said in private between the two of them beforehand, but it's pretty safe to assume that Jr wasn't hearing all of this for the first time through the media. Entire non-issue.

• Fire 2