2018 mid-term

To add to what Moiraine said...

Given that the Trump agenda thus far hasn't made a single important concession to liberal priorities thus far (aside from those who were strongly opposed to the TPP)... I'm OK with bringing it to a screeching halt. This is a stark contrast to how I felt about the nonstop obstructionism that Obama faced all 8 years in office, but the GOP needs to start offering up some more responsible, bipartisan legislation before I would support what the way they're running Congress.

The funny thing is I saw a story recently about how Mitch McConnell wants to be more bipartisan in 2018. Like hell. All he cares about is holding onto seats. After 8 years of being a complete partisan hack no the wants to reach across the aisle? 

Just read that redistricting occurs in 2022. It's vital for Democrats that they start to win some state elections, IF the gerrymandering stuff goes the wrong way.

Also, found this map on wikipedia. These are the contested states for Senate in 2020. If I counted right, the Democrats only have to defend 11 states. The Republicans have to defend 21. Granted, most of these red states are very red (except maybe Maine, Iowa, and Colorado). Whereas the Democrats have Michigan, New Hampshire, Virginia and Alabama.

1024px-2020_Senate_election_map.png

Edited by Moiraine

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Just read that redistricting occurs in 2022. It's vital for Democrats that they start to win some state elections, IF the gerrymandering stuff goes the wrong way.

Also, found this map on wikipedia. These are the contested states for Senate in 2020. If I counted right, the Democrats only have to defend 11 states. The Republicans have to defend 21. Granted, most of these red states are very red (except maybe Maine). Whereas the Democrats have Michigan, New Hampshire, and Alabama.

1024px-2020_Senate_election_map.png

Yeah, it's pretty much the inverse of the 2018 Senate map.

Whereas turning the Senate blue this year will be very difficult simply due to the number of Dem seats up for grabs compared to Republican ones, 2020 is the exact opposite. If there is a blue wave this year they need to parlay it into 2020 if they really want to push their advantage. The article I posted in the Dems Rebuild thread about how they turned the state leg in Alaska shows how they could compete even in red states if they want to enact a more progressive agenda.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Don’t know a thing about this guy....but he needs to lose bad.  

I just looked into him. His wife is from South Korea. So I'm assuming when Trump campaigns for him, he'll say that Saccone will prevent a nuclear war. The thing I found out on Wikipedia is he's not a big fan of the separation of church and state. Both he and his opponent are veterans.

This is another case of the Democrats having nothing to lose and a lot to gain. If they lose, they were in a district that voted heavily in favor of Trump anyway. If they win, they signal a change in momentum.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is unfortunate.

As a side note, I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with their views on prison reform & some of their views on immigration reform. But a single family & their vast network dumping this level of cash into politics favoring themselves has a definite corrupting effect. And of course, they're propping up some really awful economic policies.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...