2018 mid-term

Good news: Florida flipped a seat to the Dems in a district that went for Trump in 2016.

Bad news: Hillary Clinton is thinking about hitting the campaign trail to support fellow Democrats across our great nation.

There will be a lot of awkward moments this year when local Democrats and Republicans have to tell their national machines that they would really, really, prefer Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton keep their distance. 

• Plus1 4

Guys, it's pretty simple. Republicans need to be voted out of office at every level. These guys are insane. That's not an all-out indictment on conservatism, nor is it an endorsement of any specific branch of the opposition (though my views are clear). The GOP is not only unfit to govern, they threaten the very foundations of our democracy and our conception of America.

They need to lose control of the House. They need to lose control of the Senate. They need to lose control of state houses and state legislatures. They all need to go.

• Plus1 5
On 2/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bad news: Hillary Clinton is thinking about hitting the campaign trail to support fellow Democrats across our great nation.

My God. Make it go away.

If she actually gave a s#!t about beating Republicans in elections, she would know better than to do this.

• Plus1 1

I've been using this site since 2004. It has both the House and Senate maps.

Senate map:

https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

4 Democrat seats are considered toss-ups.

2 Republican seats are considered toss-ups.

If the Democrats win all 6 and there are no surprises, the Senate will be 51-49 Democrat. Currently it's 51-49 Republcian.

That said, there are several other states where the Democrat is considered to only have a slight advantage.

House map:

https://www.270towin.com/2018-house-election/

3 Democrat seats are considered toss-ups

16 Republican seats are considered toss-ups

If the Democrats win all 19 and there are no surprises, the House will be 219-212 Republican. Currently it's 238-193 Republican. There are 4 vacant seats, and I'm not sure what's going on there. The total should be 435.

The gerrymandering case is supposed to be decided this summer. If they decide it's not their business to do anything about it, I think the states will become even more emboldened and things will get a lot worse, but I don't think it'll affect 2018.

If they decide to do something about it, things should get better, but it may not affect 2018 except maybe with a few of the states that have already made some decisions (assuming they actually stick). E.g. if the Pennsylvania decision sticks, the House numbers may change a little in the Democrats' favor.

Anecdote: I was talking politics with my mom, who is 70, today. She used to vote almost 100% down the Republican party line, up through the late 90's. She kinda started to drift away from that starting in 2000 but still voted for a lot of Republicans. She told me she might never vote for a Republican again because of Trump and what the GOP is doing about him (nothing).

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

Yay!! A hearty high five for your Mom.

The map is unfavorable, as we always knew, but the fight will be worth it. Fractures in the Republican voting bloc (as we have seen, on numerous occasions) are that much more significant when the seat advantage they have is small. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lamb (D) up 49.9% to 49.5% with 95% of the vote in.

I nerded out and calculated my projection when the vote was 45% in:

Lamb: 98,690
Saccone: 92,792

Looks like a lot more voted than they estimated. Up over 200k is the estimate now.

Edited by Moiraine