2018 mid-term

45 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I gotta ask those of you who actually go waste your time at the polls, why?

For at least the last 8 years we get our ballots mailed to us at our home. We get them about a month before Election Day. We can fill them out at home and then either mail them in or drop them off (which we do) at a choice of numerous locations. It’s been many many years since I’ve gone to a polling location to vote on Election Day. It is so much better than battling the crowds and time constraints at the polls so I’m curious if this voting method is easily available everywhere or if some people just like to deal with crowds and inconvenience.

My precinct is rural, so there's never a line. I just go, fill out my ballot, and I'm out in five minutes. So for me, it's easier to just do it all in one shot.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I’m still seeing a 52-48 projection

The GOP has already picked up 2 seats (Indiana and North Dakota) and still leading in Florida and up big in Missouri.  That's a net 4.  The Dems would have to hold Montana and take Nevada and Arizona to get back to plus 2. Perhaps they will do that would mean running the table in these remaining close races.  I am surprised WV and Ohio have gotten so close despite early calls there.  Some really strange early calls tonight.  

I really think the biggest thing being voted on today is the medicaid expansion. Its really surprising how many are voting for it. This could really hurt the state. All that money leaving the state and not coming back crap thats been spewed must really be working. If this passes we will have a budget shortfall. I dont think we will be able to balance our state budget with this without what? Taking money from education, infrastructure, etc. Very possible increase of taxes too. It helps able bodied people WITHOUT children. Of course they dont care about much of this. I guess alot of those people who dont want to work actually got up off their couches today to vote.

1 minute ago, C N Red said:

I really think the biggest thing being voted on today is the medicaid expansion. Its really surprising how many are voting for it. This could really hurt the state. All that money leaving the state and not coming back crap thats been spewed must really be working. If this passes our state will most likely turn into the US bugdet. That is being in debt. I dont think we will be able to balance our state budget with this. I guess alot of those people who dont want to work actually got up off their couches today to vote.

I expect pretty much every referendum to pass when put to the general public.  Death penalty, medicaid expansion, major bonds any pot bill if it got on the ballot conservative liberal whatever.  It is a singular thought and people consider it without thinking about other ideas that come tied to the proposal that they don't like.

8 minutes ago, C N Red said:

I really think the biggest thing being voted on today is the medicaid expansion. Its really surprising how many are voting for it. This could really hurt the state. All that money leaving the state and not coming back crap thats been spewed must really be working. If this passes our state will most likely turn into the US bugdet. That is being in debt. I dont think we will be able to balance our state budget with this. I guess alot of those people who dont want to work actually got up off their couches today to vote.

Healthcare in this country is absolutely insane. We need to move towards what is working so well in every other civilized country when it comes to healthcare. (I'm sure you'll notice they are all in less debt than us too).

Is expanding Medicaid the answer? I don't know. The entire system needs to be revamped. You sound like you are squarely against healthcare becoming affordable though.

• Plus1 4

Just now, mrandyk said:

Healthcare in this country is absolutely insane. We need to move towards what is working so well in every other civilized country when it comes to healthcare. (I'm sure you'll notice they are all in less debt than us too).

Is expanding Medicaid the answer? I don't know. The entire system needs to be revamped. You sound like you are squarely against healthcare becoming affordable though.

No, im VERY much for affordable healthcare with better deductibles. The plans right now are ridiculous. It was MUCH better before obamacare. A lot more plans to choose from with optional deductibles and coinsurance. Right now as a self-employed person, i have one plan to choose from, Medica(which sucks), with high deductibles for more than was paying before obamacare. We need to go back to a better version of what we had before obamacare. Why do you think so many people want medicaid expansion? One reason of course is laziness, but the other is for a way to get insurance other than health market choices which there really isnt any choices. s#!t, pretty soon we will be like Canada anyway, with everyone on Medicaid.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

For at least the last 8 years we get our ballots mailed to us at our home. We get them about a month before Election Day. We can fill them out at home and then either mail them in or drop them off (which we do) at a choice of numerous locations. It’s been many many years since I’ve gone to a polling location to vote on Election Day. It is so much better than battling the crowds and time constraints at the polls so I’m curious if this voting method is not easily available everywhere or if some people just like to deal with crowds and inconvenience.

For the same reason people go to stores on Black Friday instead of shopping online.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For the same reason people go to stores on Black Friday instead of shopping online.

Another good example although those people are cray cray.

I actually like going to vote in person. But my polling place is 1 block from me and in 2016 it was 3 blocks from me. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

For at least the last 8 years we get our ballots mailed to us at our home. We get them about a month before Election Day. We can fill them out at home and then either mail them in or drop them off (which we do) at a choice of numerous locations. It’s been many many years since I’ve gone to a polling location to vote on Election Day. It is so much better than battling the crowds and time constraints at the polls so I’m curious if this voting method is not easily available everywhere or if some people just like to deal with crowds and inconvenience.

i live in a small town....there was a line of 3 people ahead of me when i went in this morning after dropping son off at school.  and it's not like a big city...you know everyone so there is some visiting with friends before and after voting.

20 minutes ago, C N Red said:

No, im VERY much for affordable healthcare with better deductibles. The plans right now are ridiculous. It was MUCH better before obamacare. A lot more plans to choose from with optional deductibles and coinsurance. Right now as a self-employed person, i have one plan to choose from, Medica(which sucks), with high deductibles for more than was paying before obamacare. We need to go back to a better version of what we had before obamacare. Why do you think so many people want medicaid expansion? One reason of course is laziness, but the other is for a way to get insurance other than health market choices which there really isnt any choices. s#!t, pretty soon we will be like Canada anyway, with everyone on Medicaid.

Is obamacare perfect? Hell no. So why didnt repubs try and fix the bill we already have in place? Makes no sense to come out with an even worse bill and try and push it through within 2 weeks. 

Are there freeloaders on medicaid? Yes. But working in healthcare I can tell you that 90% of the people on medicaid have major health issues and/or work but do not have high paying jobs. A lot of kids on medicaid also while their parents have insurance. Most likely because they have some sort of pre-exisiting condition that would bankrupt the parents if the kid had regular insurance. Thats the reason I voted for medicaid expansion. I see it first hand everyday, the pros and cons. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Is obamacare perfect? Hell no. So why didnt repubs try and fix the bill we already have in place? Makes no sense to come out with an even worse bill and try and push it through within 2 weeks. 

Are there freeloaders on medicaid? Yes. But working in healthcare I can tell you that 90% of the people on medicaid have major health issues and/or work but do not have high paying jobs. A lot of kids on medicaid also while their parents have insurance. Most likely because they have some sort of pre-exisiting condition that would bankrupt the parents if the kid had regular insurance. Thats the reason I voted for medicaid expansion. I see it first hand everyday, the pros and cons. 

The GOP had several proposals on the table to modify Obamacare and no Dems got on board, and McCain was the vote to stall that legislation.  Trump is a deal-maker and perhaps he will find some ways to partner with a split Congress on Health Care and Immigration.  Now if the Dems insist on spending 2 years doing baseless investigations then you will see little get done the next 2 years except a lot of judicial nominees getting passed by the Senate.

• Haha 1