2018 mid-term

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

don't know why Warren brought this up in the first place. I know why Trump keyed in on it (1. he's an a$$h@!e, and 2. he's racist), but this is sort of an unnecessary sideshow. Warren has the ability (and responsibility) to advocate for equality, for minority rights, and to fight Trump without personal DNA results.

I think that’s pretty simple. I believe the story is that Warren years ago tried using this to say she was a minority and benefit from it. Stupid and she should be called out for it. 

She chose to bring it up again now because she is thinking about running in 2020 and she needs to know if she can get past a political attack on this point. 

The way Trump chooses to do it is immature, idiotic and racist and he should be called out on it. 

America deserves better. 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Replacing an angry Republican with an angry Democrat will not move this country forward at all.  

I can't say we deserve better.  But we certainly need better

Why do you think Warren is anything approaching Trump? Is she being painted this way? I don’t know a lot about her but I’m not sure where your idea comes from that she is on his level or even close to it.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why do you think Warren is anything approaching Trump? Is she being painted this way? I don’t know a lot about her but I’m not sure where your idea comes from that she is on his level or even close to it.

Just because I find them to both be angry people doesn't mean that they are on the same level.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Just because I find them to both be angry people doesn't mean that they are on the same level.  

But the way you oversimplified it lumps them together and implies an equivalence, imo.

Also, why is being angry considered a bad thing when there is plenty to be angry about?

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

So she's like 1/512th Native American and has used that for her benefit in the past?

Isn't that the definition of cultural appropriation?

Can you show that she used it for her benefit?

My understanding is she checked a box when asked about her race. I think the implication is she used it to take advantage of Affirmative Action, but I haven't actually seen anything to back that up.

Just now, Moiraine said:

But the way you oversimplified it lumps them together and implies an equivalence, imo.

Also, why is being angry considered a bad thing when there is plenty to be angry about?

I would assume it's my right to lump them together in any way I see fit.  

I never said being angry is bad but I don't see the benefit of replacing angry with angry.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

According to my uncle who has studied our family's genealogy, I have a very tiny part of Native American ancestry as well. But the rest is completely white European. I can't comprehend using this tidbit to claim myself to be a minority, nor would it make sense to use this for any sort of political points. If Elizabeth Warren has tried to exploit this, it would be shameful.

I don't know why Warren brought this up in the first place. I know why Trump keyed in on it (1. he's an a$$h@!e, and 2. he's racist), but this is sort of an unnecessary sideshow. Warren has the ability (and responsibility) to advocate for equality, for minority rights, and to fight Trump without personal DNA results.

I’m really not sure how she should have handled it. Do you admit it was an awful gaffe/mistake and move on, admit it was a mistake but prove Trump wrong about lying about it, pretend it wasn’t a mistake and prove Trump wrong about lying about it, or ignore the whole thing? She did the 4th choice for a long time then went with the 3rd. 

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I would assume it's my right to lump them together in any way I see fit.  

I never said being angry is bad but I don't see the benefit of replacing angry with angry.

What a weird reply. You can use the English language however you want. I was explaining why I thought you were putting them on the same level.

2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Can you show that she used it for her benefit?

My understanding is she checked a box when asked about her race. I think the implication is she used it to take advantage of Affirmative Action, but I haven't actually seen anything to back that up.

But can you imagine putting down minority if you were 97% White?  I can’t.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I’m really not sure how she should have handled it. Do you admit it was an awful gaffe/mistake and move on, admit it was a mistake but prove Trump wrong about lying about it, pretend it wasn’t a mistake and prove Trump wrong about lying about it, or ignore the whole thing? She did the 4th choice for a long time then went with the 3rd. 

She should admit a mistake and walk the f#&% away from it

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Really????

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But can you imagine putting down minority if you were 97% White?  I can’t.

Nope. It's an inexplicable situation. I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. If it was a broader pattern of behavior then I would be more concerned. 

I get that conservatives really dislike AA and love this fight. I think the best move for her after dropping DNA results is to leave it alone. If Trump keeps going down his weird, overtly racist path with this, it's not going to help with anyone outside of his base.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What a weird reply. You can use the English language however you want. I was explaining why I thought you were putting them on the same level.

People thought both Hillary and Trump were bad for the country.  But they voted for the lesser of two evils in their eyes.  So me saying that they are both angry doesn't really have any bearing on who is angrier and how.  They just both are.  And I would prefer that whoever gets the opportunity to replace Trump as president that they are less angry than Warren.