Approporiate door-holding-open distance

The place I work at has a pretty long hallway that almost always has people in it, and inevitably I'm either holding a door open for someone or having it held open for me. And sometimes there is that awkward moment where someone holds it open for me when I'm too far back and I have to hurry up so as not to inconvenience them. And then there is the other type of awkward moment where you let the door bang closed and realize you probably should have held it open and now you look rude.

So - where's the suitable range where you should hold it open?

Also, just curious with guys, do you feel weird holding a door open for another dude?

• Fire 2

So the doors at my dorms in Lincoln are separated (2 separate doors) and I was walking in and had committed to one of the doors. Another guy opened the other door and held it open for me and I proceeded through the door I committed to already. The guy was offended and it was super awkward. I think we should just abolish the entire door holding thing, alot of times it does just make for awkward situations

So the doors at my dorms in Lincoln are separated (2 separate doors) and I was walking in and had committed to one of the doors. Another guy opened the other door and held it open for me and I proceeded through the door I committed to already. The guy was offended and it was super awkward. I think we should just abolish the entire door holding thing, alot of times it does just make for awkward situations

Ya that's happened to me a couple times (minus anyone getting offended, that I knew of). It shouldn't be awkward but it is for some reason.

I should note, I differentiate between holding a door and letting someone enter before you (like what I think you're talking about mem) and holding it open for the person to walk in behind you.

The guy holding a door open for me 'cause I'm female thing happens occasionally at work but only if I'm right behind them.

I should note, I differentiate between holding a door and letting someone enter before you (like what I think you're talking about mem) and holding it open for the person to walk in behind you.

The guy holding a door open for me 'cause I'm female thing happens occasionally at work but only if I'm right behind them.

well then those guys who don't gold the door for you are lucky they don't know my grandma! Ya it does feel awkward when someone holds a door for me but if it only takes a minute to do or say something nice or respectful then do it.

Don't let the door shut on someone who is closely approaching the door. Walking faster than me, around 5 steps. Walking my speed or slower, 2-3 steps. Basically, don't let it shut in their face.

If they are in any way infirm, carrying something heavy, with kids, etc., basically figure out if holding the door would help them, even if they're pretty far away. If you can help, hold the door.

For me...I will hold the door longer for old people, kids, parents with kids and hot girls.

I will close the door quicker if there is a dude I know behind me and I am messing with him.

A lot of it also depends on the look back. When I open a door I look back and if the person is far away but starts a bit of a job and makes eye contact, I hold it open.

No, I don't feel weird holding it open for a dude.

I work in a fairly large building with more than 1,500 employees, plus employees from other nearby buildings park in our garage downtown. Needless to say - this door stuff happens multiple times DAILY.

Here's my mentality: if I'm entering/exiting the garage and someone is right behind me, I just open the door, walk out and make sure the door is held open for them. Too many people are coming and going for me to stop and hold the door for any one person. If I did, I'd get into that other awkward situation where you hold the door open for a lot of people and have to find a time to stop.

Now, if I'm in my building, specifically on my floor, I will hold the door open for a female coworker and let her go first. I'll open the door and walk in first if it's a guy.

As for the distance variable, I play it by ear. If someone would have to feel obligated to quicken their pace in order to accommodate my polite gesture, then they're too far away. My good rule of thumb is ~20 feet.

Overall, and no offense intended to anyone, I believe the notion of holding a door open for every woman and letting them go first is a tad archaic. I don't have a steadfast rule I follow. Simply opening the door and keeping it open so anyone can come through is just being polite.

Always hold the door for a female or the elderly.if I don't my grandma promised to haunt me.other than that if I'm in speaking distance I'll hold if not go about my business.

What if I have my hands full of Christmas presents for under privileged kids?

• Fire 1