The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

An appointment to the highest court in the land is a little different than a regular 9 to 5, no?

I'm not sure what to think of this now. It's been 35 years since this happened and It doesn't seem like he has any track record of continued behavior. But it gives you pause when you think about the character of the people you want to hold high offices.

I don't disagree.  

3 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

And Judicial philosophy has nothing to do with it?  So if this were Breyer or Souter, they would be gone as well?

Prevented from becoming justices regardless of philosophy. Removed if found guilty.

And like I said above, there should be term limits so this decision isn’t so monumental.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Prevented from becoming justices regardless of philosophy. Removed if found guilty.

And like I said above, there should be term limits so this decision isn’t so monumental.

Don't totally disagree with your first statement. 

Removing term limits would take a constitutional amendment, doubt it will ever happen, and not sure it should.

It's not a perfect predictor, but most 17 year old guys who get drunk and try to rape girls grow up to be pricks. 

Also, most of us don't know 65 people well enough to vouch for our true character, much less 65 women waiting to offer that endorsement at the drop of a hat. 

Al Franken had a bunch of women vouch for him. But he resigned over a picture of him pretending to touch a woman's breasts. 

But I'm good throwing this allegation out and dumping Kavanaugh simply for his ludicrous dishonesty in not answering Kamala Harris' simple line of questioning. 

It won't happen, of course. We're going to be stuck with this guy for 30 years. He has assured us he will vote according to legal precedent, but you'll be able to predict every single vote down party lines. 

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Would you be in favor of confirming Alito or Thomas if they'd not told the truth a handful of times under oath and then this popped up?

Yep, don't tell the truth under oath, don't get confirmed.  But has to be actually not telling the truth about something substinative, not some minor "got ya".

This seems like a pretty substantial untruth.  Why would Dr. Ford lie to 2 different therapists 6 years ago, that is quite the long game for a set up.  Why would she also implicate the douchebag Judge character, he could easily corraborate anything Kavannaugh says to get him off.  In my opinion it just doesnt make sense for her to make up this particular accuation.

I am seeing an awful lot of--sexual assault as a 17 year old shouldn't count against a 53 year old, if that is the case then Kavannaugh needs to come out and admit it and make amends.  Show real character, dont be a coward and lie about it.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

This seems like a pretty substantial untruth.  Why would Dr. Ford lie to 2 different therapists 6 years ago, that is quite the long game for a set up.  Why would she also implicate the douchebag Judge character, he could easily corraborate anything Kavannaugh says to get him off.  In my opinion it just doesnt make sense for her to make up this particular accuation.

I am seeing an awful lot of--sexual assault as a 17 year old shouldn't count against a 53 year old, if that is the case then Kavannaugh needs to come out and admit it and make amends.  Show real character, dont be a coward and lie about it.

Let's be honest, the only reason Dr. Ford and the Dems want an FBI investigation is because it will push the confirmation vote past the mid-term elections. It's the same reason Sen Fienstein Sat on the letter for 6 weeks.

6 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Let's be honest, the only reason Dr. Ford and the Dems want an FBI investigation is because it will push the confirmation vote past the mid-term elections. It's the same reason Sen Fienstein Sat on the letter for 6 weeks.

And because it is the right thing to do.

• Plus1 3

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not a perfect predictor, but most 17 year old guys who get drunk and try to rape girls grow up to be pricks. 

Also, most of us don't know 65 people well enough to vouch for our true character, much less 65 women waiting to offer that endorsement at the drop of a hat. 

Al Franken had a bunch of women vouch for him. But he resigned over a picture of him pretending to touch a woman's breasts. 

But I'm good throwing this allegation out and dumping Kavanaugh simply for his ludicrous dishonesty in not answering Kamala Harris' simple line of questioning. 

It won't happen, of course. We're going to be stuck with this guy for 30 years. He has assured us he will vote according to legal precedent, but you'll be able to predict every single vote down party lines. 

of course, the photos of Franken were taken when he was in his 40's...and the allegations were corroborated by the photos.

9 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I have stated long before Dr. Ford came out with her allegations that this judge should not be confirmed at this time.

That said, this thought did cross my mind when all of a sudden she said the FBI investigation should be completed before her testimony.