The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm going to go ahead and play the race card because hey, it's Thursday, but just imagine if Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh had been black. Or immigrants. How do you think this same GOP would treat the same testimony from the same witness? I mean other than making it the centerpiece of their own midterm campaign?

Don't have to imagine. Remember the Central Park 5?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

No :p

I assume they’re feeling emotional because they’re upset he’s going through this.

Don't know if this will be controversial but I'm feeling good so here goes...

My girlfriend and I had a long talk tonight about today but the crux of it is that in our country right now there is a movement of people who feel that they are disadvantaged or marginalized even though they are relatively high up on the societal ladder relative to the a lot of other people. They feel angry that other groups are getting special help or handouts without realizing (or caring, frankly) that it's because those people are worse off than they are. There's always been an undercurrent of resentment against those getting the "handouts" but under Trump it has evolved into a full blown movement by the relatively advantaged (namely people in his base - white conservatives, Christians, etc.) to start advocating for their own needs by claiming they are the disadvantaged or marginalized ones. It's been explicitly or implicitly stated it's high time to advocate for the disadvantaged white, Christian, etc. after years of neglect. Even if punching down at groups of less means or societal standing them them is necessary to do it.

The photo is striking to me because I don't know that I heard Kavanaugh admit once today any empathy towards his accuser. He mentioned his granddaughter (I think?) wanted to pray for her. But he only talked about the hurt this had caused his family. He only admitted empathy for a classmate when he could use it to attack Democrats.

Kavanaugh and those in his corner in that photo strike me as emblematic of this lack of empathy for anyone outside of one's own bubble. It seems to me that attitude is most prevalent in those of very high standing who live very comfortable lives.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

My girlfriend and I had a long talk tonight about today but the crux of it is that in our country right now there is a movement of people who feel that they are disadvantaged or marginalized even though they are relatively high up on the societal ladder relative to the a lot of other people. They feel angry that other groups are getting special help or handouts without realizing (or caring, frankly) that it's because those people are worse off than they are. There's always been an undercurrent of resentment against those getting the "handouts" but under Trump it has evolved into a full blown movement by the relatively advantaged (namely people in his base - white conservatives, Christians, etc.) to start advocating for their own needs by claiming they are the disadvantaged or marginalized ones. It's been explicitly or implicitly stated it's high time to advocate for the disadvantaged white, Christian, etc. after years of neglect. Even if punching down at groups of less means or societal standing them them is necessary to do it.

The photo is striking to me because I don't know that I heard Kavanaugh admit once today any empathy towards his accuser. He mentioned his granddaughter (I think?) wanted to pray for her. But he only talked about the hurt this had caused his family. He only admitted empathy for a classmate when he could use it to attack Democrats.

Kavanaugh and those in his corner in that photo strike me as emblematic of this lack of empathy for anyone outside of one's own bubble.

It was his daughter and Kavanaugh repeated stated neither he nor his family hold any ill will towards Dr. Ford.

7 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Kavanaugh and those in his corner in that photo strike me as emblematic of this lack of empathy for anyone outside of one's own bubble.

It was his daughter.

One thing I would add to what you're saying is that a huge # of those White people you're talking about are worse off than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago because the needle hasn't moved on income and hasn't kept up with inflation. They've also seen things go downhill for themselves, so they're sitting there thinking "Things are s#!tty for me too. What about me?" It isn't just a bunch of well-to-do, snobby White people with the attitude you're talking about. A lot of the people who have these feelings aren't very well off themselves. That said... I believe a lot of the reason for the above is due to Republican policies, so it's ironic that some of these people (I believe they're still in the minority) are taking the problem out on the non-White people who, in general, have things worse, by voting for Trump and Republicans.

8 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

According to Townhall.com (a conservative website), all Republicans and "several" Democrats will vote to confirm Kavanaugh.  

It doesn't say who their sources are.

3 Democrats voted for Gorsuch. I suppose 3 could mean "several." I would be shocked if more than 3 voted for Kavanaugh, and would be surprised if all 3 voted for him given that this is a more controversial pick.

Here's what cnn.com says as of an hour ago:

Two Republican women, Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, both of whom had said they wanted to see Ford's testimony, will be key. So could Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, the Arizona Republican who has crossed Trump and is now on his way out the door and not running for re-election. He's been critical of the process.

They huddled together after the hearing and before a larger meeting of Republicans. Sen. Joe Manchin, a moderate Democrat who joined the group for their huddle, said afterward that they were all still undecided.

51 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

It was his daughter and Kavanaugh repeated stated neither he nor his family hold any ill will towards Dr. Ford.

Thanks.

I said multiple times today I feel bad too far what he and his family have gone through in this as well. What we're finding out is that the crazies come out no matter if you're an R or a D in politics and generally do some really unsettling things that definitely cross the line.

But for me, "we don't bear her any ill will" is miles apart from "I'm sorry for what she's had to go through." The latter shows more genuine contrition and empathy towards her to me. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

• Plus1 1