The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

if things are so partisan that the dems had to cook up the idea of these claims...why didn't they do the same with the Gorsuch (sp?) nomination?   and i think the fact that in this case she was talking to her therapist about this assault years ago kind of lends credence to her claims.   

• Plus1 2

@Waldo (or anyone else who hasn't already articulated their thoughts), setting aside political motives in this matter as much as possible, a few questions for the sake of discussion:

1. How do you think allegations of sexual assault should be handled if the alleged incident was long ago and evidence is sparse?

2. How do you weigh the credibility of Ford against Kavanaugh if you watched yesterday's testimony? Why?

3. Do you think Kavanaugh is fit to serve a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court? Why or why not?

4. Is there any reason why the allegations against him should not be fully investigated? 

5. Have you ever been in a courtroom and seen anyone (judge, attorney, witness, etc) act as combative as Kavanaugh did yesterday? How did that turn out for that person?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Can be said for either side. An investigation would be smart for the Democrats (and Ford). It stalls time and gives them a better chance to get a more moderate nomination if they vote against Kavanaugh. 

No, this isn't a both sides do it. One side doesn't even want to find out what the facts are. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

fixed that for you...

And you didn't fix Waldo's assertion.  How partisan of you.

Here's the difference, though - I'm an Independent. If this was a Democratic presidential nominee with the exact same story, I'd be saying the exact same things. So would the rest of the people Waldo accuse of partisanship. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And you didn't fix Waldo's assertion.  How partisan of you.

Here's the difference, though - I'm an Independent. If this was a Democratic presidential nominee with the exact same story, I'd be saying the exact same things. So would the rest of the people Waldo accuse of partisanship. 

his assertion didn't need fixing...he said he "thinks" that people are viewing this as a partisan matter...you said he "thinks wrong" speaking not for yourself, but for everyone else here....

and this isn't a presidential nominee process...

(that was my point)

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

his assertion didn't need fixing...he said he "thinks" that people are viewing this as a partisan matter...you said he "thinks wrong" speaking not for yourself, but for everyone else here....

and this isn't a presidential nominee process...

(that was my point)

Ah. For a minute I thought you were being serious.  Jokes are sometimes hard to catch online. 

Funny stuff!

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah....and what side wasn't wanting to find out the facts when Clinton was being accused of the same types of things.

Why go back just 20 years? What about Ollie North? What about Chappaquiddick? What about the Chicago Seven? What about the McCarthy trials?

42 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Agreed. I could care less about Kavanaugh, but how can you believe either person definitively. I think a lot of people in this thread have their blue tinted glasses on and are arguing for the simple fact that they don't like Kavanaugh and don't want another Republican to fill a seat. 

While most sexual assault claims are real, people can and will start using this to their advantage to slander others, especially in politics. 

Hmmmm...there are some of those here, but, far fewer than you think.

As an independent, I don't give a flying rip what party they are affiliated with.  If it were strictly on his credentials getting on the court, I would probably vote for him.  Legal wise, I don't agree with him on everything, but, i don't see anything that would keep him off the court.

However, everything around his nomination is a cluster F*** and because of that, I feel the entire process should be halted.

As far as the allegations against him, I listened to some of both testimonies yesterday.  I can honestly say that I firmly believe these things:

a)  Something happened between them in Highschool.  I have no clue what.

b)  Both are passionate and probably believe what they said yesterday.

c)  There is really no way of knowing at this point, what exactly happened.

All that said......

I am extremely uncomfortable with a President like Trump being able to hand pick two judges to be on the court that may ultimately decide if he can remain in office.  

I believe this nomination should not go forward till after the new congress is seated.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Kavanaugh gets dumped, how would you celebrate?

Because the most vindictive President in our history would be lining up another nominee, vetted to deliver the same judicial results and frustrate the same liberal opposition. 

I wouldn't celebrate, but I'd hope that at least the next nominee is apolitical and not committing perjury in his own nomination hearing. Kavanaugh is terrible regardless of his past judicial decisions.