The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Janet Reno put a Republican in charge of the Whitewater investigation. 

And Mueller was appointed while the Republicans controlled the entire government and Sessions has remained out of the investigation and allowed it to go forward.

Now.....there were a lot of Democrats that thought the entire Jaunita Broaddrick issue was a "right wing conspiracy".  Remember that phrase?  It was repeated constantly by Democrats during that era about a lot of things because they didn't want any of this to come forward against their President.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is no celebrating in this entire situation.

If they kill the Kavanaugh nomination, there will be tons of Democratic celebration and Republicans sworn to revenge, and perhaps no lesson taken away. Followed by the nomination of another rubber stamp conservative justice.

So yeah. That was my point. 

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And Mueller was appointed while the Republicans controlled the entire government and Sessions has remained out of the investigation and allowed it to go forward.

Now.....there were a lot of Democrats that thought the entire Jaunita Broaddrick issue was a "right wing conspiracy".  Remember that phrase?  It was repeated constantly by Democrats during that era about a lot of things because they didn't want any of this to come forward against their President.

Mueller is a Republican...

I was pretty young at the time so I don’t remember it, I just hated Clinton because he was so fake when he talked.

But I’m still not seeing how this is a good comparison since Clinton was investigated about Monica Lewinsky. A better comparison if you’re talking about how they react to sexual assault allegations would be what the Democrats do in modern times about other Democrats. Keith Ellison is the best example out there. Comparing how men react to this stuff 20 years ago vs. now doesn’t make sense to me. But I agree they were as wrong then as they are now.

33 minutes ago, Ulty said:

@Waldo, setting aside political motives in this matter as much as possible, a few questions for the sake of discussion:

1. How do you think allegations of sexual assault should be handled if the alleged incident was long ago and evidence is sparse?

2. How do you weigh the credibility of Ford against Kavanaugh if you watched yesterday's testimony? Why?

3. Do you think Kavanaugh is fit to serve a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court? Why or why not?

4. Is there any reason why the allegations against him should not be fully investigated? 

5. Have you ever been in a courtroom and seen anyone (judge, attorney, witness, etc) act as combative as Kavanaugh did yesterday? How did that turn out for that person?

1. I've said I hope the metoo movement gets people to file charges, or speak up sooner than later. It's hard to convict someone of murder 36 years ago(using this case as an example), let alone assault. I do not have a great answer, but states have statute of limitations for a reason. 

2. They both had shaky moments. Ford would have to be a hell of an actress to be lying about an assault of some kind. From the parts I heard, she seems credible, but just doesn't know/remember what happened that night. Also sounded like the spotlight was too much at times, which I'm sure it was given the circumstances. 

3. I'm not a huge Kavanaugh fan and wouldn't vote for him if it was an option(not in regards to the interview), but if Hillary and Trump are fit, then yes he is. 

4. Investigate if that's what they choose 

5. No, but people falsely accused of crimes can and should be very angry. He and his family have been through just as much as the Fords. He should have kept his emotions in check, but the questions were at times repetitive and elementary.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

5. No, but people falsely accused of crimes can and should be very angry. He and his family have been through just as much as the Fords. He should have kept his emotions in check, but the questions were at times repetitive and elementary.  

his opening statement was extremely angry before there were any questions....let alone repetitive questions.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Mueller is a Republican...

I was pretty young at the time so I don’t remember it, I just hated Clinton because he was so fake when he talked.

But I’m still not seeing how this is a good comparison since Clinton was investigated about Monica Lewinsky. A better comparison if you’re talking about how they react to sexual assault allegations would be what the Democrats do in modern times about other Democrats. Keith Ellison is the best example out there. Comparing how men react to this stuff 20 years ago vs. now doesn’t make sense to me. But I agree they were as wrong then as they are now.

If you so choose, you can nit pick any comparison you want.  I think it's a good comparison.

The absolute love Democrats (even females) throw at Clinton is so hypocritical when they then turn around and claim Republicans don't respect women.

They fell all over themselves to support him because he had a D behind his name and didn't want anything to stand in the way.....including investigations into issues with women.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The real story from yesterday is that atleast one of the two witnesses committed perjury. 

Only one of them is being asked to sit on the Supreme Court. 

If only there had been someone else in that room.

Oh wait.....

Man, what must it feel like to be Mark Judge right now? 

FIFY

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you so choose, you can nit pick any comparison you want.  I think it's a good comparison.

The absolute love Democrats (even females) throw at Clinton is so hypocritical when they then turn around and claim Republicans don't respect women.

They fell all over themselves to support him because he had a D behind his name and didn't want anything to stand in the way.....including investigations into issues with women.

It isn’t nitpicking to say that it’s not really fair to compare how men treated accusers in the 90’s vs. now. It seems to me that people are more enlightened now than they were then. Some like to call it PC culture. Similarly, I like to think Osborne would have kicked Lawrence Phillips off the team if the same thing had happened today instead of in 1995.

Another topic where it wouldn’t be fair is how gay people are treated. I know people who have done 180s on their attitudes in just the past 10 years. I’m guessing a lot of Democrats were homophobes 20 years ago.  My mom went from being scared of gay people to hiring one. I see this change in attitude as more of an overall shift rather than they were different 20 years ago because he was a Democrat. I definitely think they would have still been easier on him but it would’ve been different.

And if Kavanaugh was appointed by Obama, I do think the Democrats would be behaving at least slightly differently but they sure as hell would not be treating the accusers the same way as the GOP is. They can’t afford to alienate their voters that way. Democrats are held accountable in ways Republicans are not, due in part to who their voters are. 

You are now changing the topic by talking about what Democrats think of Clinton today. On this new topic you’ve introduced, I agree with you that people shouldn’t be worshipping him today.

• Plus1 2