The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

12 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure I would use what is shown "on here" in this Huskerboard P&R board as a forum of wisdom, intellect and impartiality. Over 80% of the threads and posts I have read are anti-Trump or anti-GOP that anything posted here must be taken with a grain of salt. 

Ahh...yes....just because something is anti Trump or anti GOP.....it's fake news.

We're back to that.

• Plus1 5

On 10/6/2018 at 3:20 PM, Ric Flair said:

Interestingly, the Democrats were the ones who wanted to dispense with due process and disregard the Constitution entirely in order to convict an innocent man.

Again, it is clear you don't know what Due Process is or when it applies. 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, Ric Flair said:

I have a legal background and know quite a bit about the subject matter.

tenor.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, Ulty said:

You might not understand how all of this stuff actually works. There are many reasons that Ford might want this case to go away now, and not because her story isn't true. 

1. Regarding "if she was really that distraught," we don't get to decide how or when victims process what happens to them. Many victims never come forward at all, for a variety of legitimate reasons. Ford testified that she felt it was her civic duty to come forward when Kavanaugh was nominated, but she did not want it to be a circus. If not for the SCOTUS nomination she may never have come forward at all. She has been in therapy for years over this. It is possible that she had come to terms with it on her own level, so perhaps she isn't really completely "distraught" any more from the sense of being a victim. Or maybe she is still distraught enough that she doesn't want to continually relive it, given what she already went through over the past couple of weeks. It is very common for victims to avoid coming forward just so they don't have to keep talking about it, face the perpetrator again, or get involved in a lengthy ordeal that will ultimately not change what happened.

2. Her attorneys were working for her pro bono. It's very likely that they chose to represent her based on their own political connections and aspirations. Maybe once the spotlight of the nomination hearing was gone, the attorneys no longer wanted the case. Maybe the attorneys now wanted to get paid by Ford in order to keep pushing further. Maybe they decided that since the FBI turned in a sham investigation and it did not derail the job interview process, that they did not think the odds were in their favor if they pursued a criminal or civil case which would require a much higher standard of proof.

3. It is always worth pursuing justice, but for victims of sexual assault, what is justice? One of the reasons many victims never come forward is because the eventual end of a case may not necessarily change anything for the victim. The perp may go to jail, maybe a civil suit results in some sort of restitution but I don't know how often that actually happens. Often, victims just want the perp held accountable so this sort of thing doesn't happen again, but rarely is there anything in it for the victim, especially in a case that is going to expose a lot of personal details and is likely to drag on for an excruciating amount of time. That is why it is so difficult and so courageous for victims to do anything at all.

4. Bill Clinton's accusers have nothing to do with Ford, and those situations have nothing to do with the Kavanaugh case, except maybe the hypocritical statements of politicians who may have been involved in both cases. It is a red herring that the right keep bringing up. Anyone who was victimized by Bill Clinton certainly can and should pursue their cases as much as they can, and those victims have to deal with the same trauma and barriers as other victims. It is possible that there are victims of Bill Clinton who have not come forward at all.

5. Ford didn't ask for any of this. I don't get a sense that she sought the limelight, but when it was her turn to go, she found the courage to speak. Now if she turns her polarizing fame into a run for political office like Joe the Plumber or Kim Davis did, it would be fair to second-guess her motives, but it seems she would rather go back to quiet life and weep for her country on her own terms.

Ford has a GoFundMe website, where she has raised almost $600,000. https://www.gofundme.com/help-christine-blasey-ford

My guess is she now writes a book and goes on the lecture circuit. There are innumerable ways she can cash in on this.

Here’s a great explanation about how Ford’s story just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/10/07/one-ford-narrative-too-many/

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Actually, what’s clear is that I know far more about due process than you do.

tenor.gif

You have repeatedly shown you don't know what testimony, evidence, Due Process, and many more legal terms mean.

I graduated law school, where I was on Law Journal, and now practice as a trial attorney.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2

If and when Trump is ever impeached, I fully expect Congress to try and impeach both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch as well. Or, they could go the easier route and simply reduce the size of the Supreme Court from nine to seven justices, which would remove Kavanaugh and Gorsuch under the last in, first out premise. If Obama had ever been impeached (for wearing tan suits and such), I would have fully expected McConnell and Ryan to do the same to Kagan and Sotomayor.

1 hour ago, schriznoeder said:

If and when Trump is ever impeached, I fully expect Congress to try and impeach both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch as well. Or, they could go the easier route and simply reduce the size of the Supreme Court from nine to seven justices, which would remove Kavanaugh and Gorsuch under the last in, first out premise. If Obama had ever been impeached (for wearing tan suits and such), I would have fully expected McConnell and Ryan to do the same to Kagan and Sotomayor.

It would be inappropriate to impeach Kavanaugh if no crime was committed.  The man got it. Let him do his job. I know that’s not how politics work though and it’s sad. 

22 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

It would be inappropriate to impeach Kavanaugh if no crime was committed.  The man got it. Let him do his job. I know that’s not how politics work though and it’s sad. 

I'm guessing if they were to try to go this route (which would set a scary precedent), they would have a full FBI investigation and see what it turns up. They could look into perjury during the investigation. It wouldn't be any more ridiculous for them to do this than the myriad of Clinton investigations the GOP has conducted were. And in fact that they had those investigations wasn't ridiculous. It was the amount of time spent on them, and the subsequent complaints about how long the investigation into Trump is taking.

15 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Just now, knapplc said:

Perjury is a crime.

Just ask ... Brett Kavanaugh, he told us so during his handling of the Clinton investigation. 

• Plus1 2